Berkman to have knee surgery, out 2-4 wks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Berkman to have knee surgery, out 2-4 wks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Berkman to have knee surgery, out 2-4 wks

Postby pizzaboy76 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Lance Berkman is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Saturday and is expected to miss at least two weeks.
The long end of his projected recovery time is a month, which would obviously present a serious blow to Berkman's fantasy stock. He's 34 and has had issues in the past with the same knee, so it's probably safe to bet against him returning quickly or maintaining his health throughout 2010. Mar. 12 - 1:09 pm et
Source: Anthony DiComo on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLi ... &hl=283380

So how far does this drop him in drafts? With his age and injury history, I'm not sure I want to take the risk on him.
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Berkman to have knee surgery, out 2-4 wks

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

I did yesterday, but I also got him at a steal of a price. 9th round 103rd pick of the draft overall isn't much of a risk when I also have Morneau at 1B.

Honestly I've seen him dropping way down draft boards due to his woes last year and then yes injury concerns, and I'm not going to sit here and say there aren't concerns, but if you can get him at good value there is no way you can pass on him. He still has power and has a great chance at a bounce back year, and with everyone soooo down on him I think if hes there anywhere in the area of the mid-late 8th (in a 12 teamer) to early 9th and beyond, I don't really think its THAT much of a gamble.

I'm confident in him bouncing back, and in the 9th round if he rounds back to the neighborhood of 90/25/90/.280 I think hes a great gem in the middle rounds. Remember this is a guy who just a year ago now went off for 114/29/106/.312 not to mention 18 stolen bases, and after a rough year last year everyone is ready to say hes done and on the downslide of his career? Bogus!

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Skimo77 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:48 pm

I agree, plus if you look at Berkman's career stats, you'll notice that quite often he follows a big year with a fall back year... look at his monster 2002 numbers, then 03 was a dud... then he came back with a solid 04, and laid an egg again in 05. (well still decent years but not up to his standards)... so i'm not saying he's going to bounce back to his 02 or 04 or even 06 numbers, but i wouldnt rule out a solid .290/25/110 ... pending if he stays relatively healthy and this knee doesn't end up being a major deal.. which it doesn't seem to be, just loose particles... so if you can get him in the 9th roundish that'd be a mega steal... he's a definite buy low candidate...
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Matthias » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Berkman's surgery was a success. News very positive.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — First baseman Lance Berkman underwent successful surgery Saturday to remove cartilage debris in his left knee, the Astros announced.

Dr. David Crumbie, who performed the arthroscopic procedure at the Florida Hospital in Kissimmee, found no ligament or meniscus damage.

"The level of concern has gone way down because of that," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "I have all the confidence in the world that he's going to be fine."
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gws226 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

If it helps.

I took him @ 13/152 last night in a draft. (12 team roto, w/ NO IF slot)

Seemed a little too low even for that format.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:47 pm

The Astros may hold Lance Berkman (knee) back until the club returns from an upcoming six-game road trip. The stretch of away games begins Monday in St. Louis, then will carry on to Wrigley Field. The Astros are hoping Berkman will be ready to go once the 'Stros arrive back in Houston. "He's not where he needs to be for us to see him back on the near horizon," Wade said. "We've talked about the possibility of leaving him back here instead of running him on airplanes and a small clubhouse in Chicago. That's a possibility."

-Rotoworld.com

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Time to start looking for the player drop to get Berkman back off the DL and at least onto your bench...

Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle has confirmed that Lance Berkman (knee) will be in the Astros' starting lineup Tuesday.

Berkman homered and hit two doubles in his final rehab game at Triple-A Round Rock and is ready to help dig the Astros out of the National League Central cellar. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in early March and has not yet played in a major league game this season. The 'Stros will announce a corresponding demotion when they officially activate him late Tuesday afternoon. Chris Johnson, 5-for-22, could be sent down.

-Per Rotoworld.com

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby verb1999 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Berkman hyperextended his right knee in his last at-bat Sunday, the Houston Chronicle reports. "It wasn't that painful," Berkman said. "It really scared me more than anything else."

Recommendation: Berkman attributes the hyperextension to a lack of strength in his right quad. Though any update on Berkman's knee should give you pause, this one sounds like it is fairly common for someone recovering from a knee injury.
(Rotowire.com)
verb1999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Special_Delivery » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Berkman is a soldier, he'll be OK. Actually I believe he'll be better than OK, he's going to turn it up this week. GO PUMA GOOO :-b
Special_Delivery
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Special_Delivery » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Big Puma is out today with a groin tweak. He might be back tomorrow. :-{
Special_Delivery
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next