NEW LEAGUE IDEA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

NEW LEAGUE IDEA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NEW LEAGUE IDEA

Postby cnasty » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 pm

I came up with this idea after seeing how much people enjoy auction leagues and this way makes it more realistic as if your an actual gm. Let me know if you think this is something that would work and if you consider it a fun idea.

This would be an auction league but your budget would not be fake money you actually pay the contracts. So like real life some teams may have a larger bank roll than others so some teams would be the yankees some would be the royals. A luxury tax would be placed on every dollar you spend over $150 with a max of $200. Every dollar you spend over $150 cost you an additional $2 so a team pay roll of $160 would cost you $180. Contracts would all be guarenteed and up to 3 years. If you signed Webb for 3 years $25 per year and he got hurt you can cut him so he would not affect your pay roll but would owe the entire contract into the prize pool. No players can have contracts extended before the current contract ends. Free Agents would sign with teams that give them the best deal which would be determined by this formula... Total Contract divided by years = price per year + (total years X 5)= Contract Value... So I offer Ricky Nolasco 3 years for $60 which comes out to a value of 35 compared to another person who offers 1 year $28 which has a contract value of 33. The fact that I am offering more years puts an added risk on my side which allows me to obtain him for a cheaper amount this year. When attempting to resign a player when a contract runs out, you get an additional 5 points due to player loyalty or home town discount how ever you want to look at it. Waiver Wire pick ups would have contract offers announced and a 2 day auction begins on that certain player. Not allowing a player to grab an injury replacement for the rest of the season for just 1$. Any player can be cut at any time to relieve salary restrictions but the amount left on the contract would be paid, off the books which gives you a reason to cut players and to sign more players without automatically going over the cap.

So what do you think? What problems do you forsee happening? Besides the fact that it is a lot of work to keep track of all the contracts.
cnasty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NEW LEAGUE IDEA

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:51 pm

I think it sounds well thought out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Sounds fun and interesting but at the same time very complicated and you would need a commissioner that would have to be able to devote a ton of free time to running this league and keeping the books.

I also think the Waiver Wire idea could use some tweaking

Ultimately, I think this league would be too rich for my blood....i would probably be more like the pirates and trying to dump salary in july to save money :-D
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Gaze » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:24 pm

Sounds like a full time job! For both the owners to keep up with and the commissioner to keep track of.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby turtle102009 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I actually have a very similar idea for a league, but I think a little simpler. Basically, you figure team's payrolls after the auction is over and they are charged based on their % of the league's overall payroll. Ex. If the average entry fee is set at $100 for 12 teams giving your league a total prize of $1200, and the total payrolls of the teams in fantasy money is $3200 (roughly 260/team) you just figure out each team's share of the $3200 and translate it to the $1200. If one team goes for the Yankees approach and spends $400 in the auction they would have to pay $150 instead of the average of $100 to get in. Of course, to make sure someone doesn't just buy everyone and then decide it can't be profitable you collect the average before the auction and then square everyone up after. During the season you can recalculate the payrolls every month to account for people going on spending sprees and then just charge the overages according to the price comparison between the real and fake money. Ex. With the previous example you could just sell payroll space in $5 (real money) increments which would give them appx. $13 (fantasy money). As far as contracts go, just set them at 3 years and charge for cutting players midseason. But if they cut in the offseason there would be no charge and those players could then go into an auction for that year.
turtle102009
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DM311 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 pm

I think the commish should get paid something to keep up with all that regardless of how he finishes. Some sort of a percentage of the winnings. If my commish did all that work for me I would have no problem with that, it sounds fun.
DM311
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Gaze » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 pm

DM311 wrote:I think the commish should get paid something to keep up with all that regardless of how he finishes. Some sort of a percentage of the winnings. If my commish did all that work for me I would have no problem with that, it sounds fun.

Back before the days of computers when we compiled stats by hand using the weekly Baseball Digest, it was so time consuming for the Commissioner that we always waived his entry fee into the league.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cti531 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:14 pm

I too had this same idea. For years I treid to get enough guys together to make this happen but never found more than 4. I was actually in a Fantasy Football league last year that was similar. They made all of the contract guarenteed and actual money but they did have a salary cap. Anyway...Fantasy Baseball is like a sickness to me and I find myself sitting up at night thinking of all this crap. I really love the idea and would have no problem helping to get this thing off the ground if you decide to do it. I have been the commish in 2 football leagues and 1 baseball league for over 10 years each. Let me know if you want to brainstorm: sudcity73@yahoo.com
cti531
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner