First Draft this Year, need some RP advice (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First Draft this Year, need some RP advice (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Draft this Year, need some RP advice (WHIR)

Postby Relddem » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Its 6x6 Yahoo Roto League (Hitters: AVG, R, RBI, SB, HR, OPS; Pitchers: W, L, ERA, SO, SV, WHIP). Max Games Played: 162, Max IP: 1450. Here's the roster:

C - Mike Napoli
1B - Kevin Youkilis
2B - Chase Utley
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
3B - Aramis Ramirez
OF - Grady Sizemore
OF - Shane Victorino
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
Util - Jay Bruce
Util - Vlad Guerrero
BN - Geovany Soto
BN - Dexter Fowler

SP - Dan Haren
SP - Justin Verlander
RP - Francisco Cordero
RP - Mike Gonzalez
P - Matt Cain
P - Ben Sheets
P - Kerry Wood
BN - Aaron Harang
BN - Clay Buchholz
BN - Francisco Liriano

I'd initially drafted Matt Guerrier instead of Liriano, but the Twins closer situation is so up in the air and I had been debating between Liriano and Buchholz anyway, now that there's some buzz that Liriano could close, I felt it was wise to pick him up either way. But, obviously, I haven no elite closers, and I only have 3 secure closers anyway, none on very good teams either. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the roster, and with the max IP a bit high at 1450 and some high risk guys like Sheets and Liriano, I'm comfortable with the seven starter setup to start the year and trying to dominate the other 5 pitching cats and aiming for somewhere around the middle in saves, but I may still need to add another closer. The tentative plan is wait a little while until I have more info on my risky starters and and on who wins some closer battles for teams like the Twins, Astros, and Blue Jays. The following RP are still available (I felt stupid when I realized Matt Capps was left out there, but he was claimed pretty quickly):

Ryan Madson
Jason Frasor
Scott Downs
Kevin Gregg
Brandon Lyon
Matt Lindstrom
John Rauch
Matt Guerrier
Pat Neshek
Jose Mijares
Jesse Crain

They're all on my watch list. Anyone else I missed? Anyone in particular I should focus on? Best case scenario, all of Buchholz, Sheets, and Liriano are healthy and productive, and I can trade someone like Harang for a mid-lower tier closer. But until I know that I felt having a safer option like Harang was important to grab in the later rounds.

I love my SP staff. I feel like I've got a huge head start on Ks with Haren and Verlander in the top two spots, a nice consistent producer in Cain, a less nice but also consistent producer in Harang, and then some mega upside talent in Sheets, Buchholz, and Liriano.

I feel similarly about my offense. I love having platoon type options to mix it up with my OF/Util spots, and I've got a brand new one this year that I've never tried before: Home Parks. All my outfielders (and Vlad) besides Sizemore play in bandboxes. I see myself mixing it up between Victorino and Fowler depending on not only opposing pitcher handedness but whose playing at home. I'm counting on a big year from at least one of Gonzalez or Bruce, but I'm comfortable with that, they both look like big time breakout candidates to me.

I'm a bit worried about lack of SS depth in case Cabrera doesn't have another solid year, but I'll deal with that when/if it happens. I've got guys like Clint Barmes, Everth Cabrera, Ian Desmond, and Reid Brignac on my watch list.

A-Ram seems healthy, but even if not, having Youkilis means I can target either 1B or 3B on the waiver wire if I need to fill in for Ramirez. I would have liked to grab a second 1B but didn't find one. Instead, I wound up with Geovany Soto to fill some ABs for Napoli, which could wind up being for the best anyway. I had Napoli last year, and while he's a great producer, I could have gotten more out of the catcher position if I had a backup because he plays so little. This may have been a contributing factor in a second place finish (as opposed to first). I was debating between Soto and Miguel Montero, and really the difference maker was Rudy Jaramillo. I have a feeling he's going to do wonders for Cubs hitters, Soto in particular. Already having Napoli on board, I was comfortable taking the riskier option.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team