Should I draft teammates? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Should I draft teammates?

Should I draft teammates?

Postby briangoodbeat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to drafting several players from the same team?

Example: Beckett and Lester are both pretty high-tier pitchers, and both play for the Red Sox. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make an effort to draft them both, since I will be guaranteed that they won't be pitching on the same day. The rotation takes care of itself. Would it be worth it to grab Lackey, too, for more of the same effect?

What about for hitters?

Thanks! -- Brian
briangoodbeat
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I draft teammates?

Postby RDD15 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

I don't think that there are too many disadvantages. Some folks subscribe to the idea that you shouldnt have too many hitters from the same team in case the offense falls flat one day. I think that strategy is misplaced. It is a valid Fantasy Football strategy, but with baseball having so many more games and being more of an individual sport, the theory doesnt really translate to baseball.

As far as advantages, I don't see any really. You say something about teammates not pitching on the same day, but I don't really see how that could come into play. I guess if your daily league only allowed you one starter per day, then drafting teammates could help. But in most formats, it shouldn't matter either way.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Pochucker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am

Having pitchers from same team is no problem. Having more than two hitters from same team in h2h can be catastrophic in early part of year --especially if there on east coast teams, Rainouts/snowouts are killers. Even if they schedule doubleheader same series --few players play doubleheaders anymore. Best you can hope for is opponent is in same boat.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby zippytrash » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am

I don't have a problem drafting two starting pitchers from the same team at all... three may be overdoing it... but to each his own.

For batters, as previously mentioned, it matters if you're playing in a head-2-head league (weekly matchups) or a roto league. If it's a weekly matchup, then it could work against you if their team matches up against another stronger team's #1-2-3 starters (ie: Boston, NYY, STL, PHI, ATL). Obviously it works the other way too... but I like to err on the side of consistency than all-or-nothing.

Good luck ;-D
Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
zippytrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby gonbakpakn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm

i'm in this boat. draft worked out so that i got buerhle and floyd from sox and johnson and nilasco from marlins with hanson as the other starter. from the sounds of these entries i should be ok.
don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
gonbakpakn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Beginner's Forum