Joe Nathan exemption? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Joe Nathan exemption?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Joe Nathan exemption?

Postby RDD15 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

bk1998 wrote:Disaster. Come up with a rule change suggestion, run it by all league members, and implement for next year if you want to give guys flexibility with keepers in the event of injury or other serious value changing events.

I kinda disagree with this actually. Not the procedure, but the idea of installing some sort of injury clause rule.

The problem is, if you put in something like this, how do you decide exactly which injuries would qualify a player to be subject to this rule? Is it "out for the year?", because at this point, Nathan is not considered definitely out for the season. There simply is no way to prevent an owner from using the most trivial injury to manipulate his roster after he has already seen his competition's keeper lists. It isn't like there is a Disabled List in spring training, so the only indicator of how long a player may miss is going to be estimates in the media.

The best rule change may be to move the keeper date closer to the draft, but that is about all that I see being feasible. Injuries happen, and you just have to live with them sometimes.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kimbos Beard » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 pm

RDD15 wrote:
bk1998 wrote:Disaster. Come up with a rule change suggestion, run it by all league members, and implement for next year if you want to give guys flexibility with keepers in the event of injury or other serious value changing events.

The best rule change may be to move the keeper date closer to the draft, but that is about all that I see being feasible. Injuries happen, and you just have to live with them sometimes.

To me that is the only real solution I see. I know that guys like to have live draft parties or it may be difficult to arrange a time convenient for everybody to draft, but I would try to make the keeper deadline as close to the draft as possible and the draft as close to opening day as possible. It's the best way to avoid things like this happening.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby turtle102009 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:01 pm

Injuries are part of sports, they happen. There is no way anyone should be keeping Nathan anyways, and since I'm guessing there isn't a bad decision clause in your rules. I might understand someone being upset about a player who you had no idea was possibly going to be out suddenly getting hurt in spring training and missing the season, but come on Nathan had bone spurs removed from his elbow over the offseason. I'm not an expert, but seems to me that almost every time I've seen someone having TJ they had bone spurs removed shortly before they were shut down for the surgery so I'd probably stay away from a 36 year old who just had that done. But maybe thats just me. Either way, he made a mistake keeping Nathan and even if he hadn't, injuries are just a part of life and not impossible to overcome either.
turtle102009
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner