Joe Nathan exemption? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Joe Nathan exemption?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Nathan exemption?

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am

My league has 12 teams, six keepers each. Our keeper deadline was last Wednesday, and Joe Nathan made a roster. Now he's out, my guilt is telling me to let the guy drop him, but my Stalin-like dictatorship tells me this will open a disasterous can of worms. Any thoughts?
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe Nathan exemption?

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Bferryvt wrote:My league has 12 teams, six keepers each. Our keeper deadline was last Wednesday, and Joe Nathan made a roster. Now he's out, my guilt is telling me to let the guy drop him, but my Stalin-like dictatorship tells me this will open a disasterous can of worms. Any thoughts?

No way. Deadlines are deadlines. If you start bending rules for one, you must do so for all.

If you allow this, just wait to see what other owners might ask you to do. Injuries are a integral part about all fantasy sports
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Count me in with your Stalin side. It stinks but rules are rules. Like DaSh said once you open the box and start bending the rules its usually impossible to stop without getting some managers angry. Better to just stick to the rules.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 pm

If your league declared keeper and he kept Nathan then too bad. It happens.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Gaze » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Stalin side here as well... Arm injuries are a risk you take in keeping a pitcher.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bk1998 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Disaster. Come up with a rule change suggestion, run it by all league members, and implement for next year if you want to give guys flexibility with keepers in the event of injury or other serious value changing events.
bk1998
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Bferryvt wrote:My league has 12 teams, six keepers each. Our keeper deadline was last Wednesday, and Joe Nathan made a roster. Now he's out, my guilt is telling me to let the guy drop him, but my Stalin-like dictatorship tells me this will open a disasterous can of worms. Any thoughts?

No way. Deadlines are deadlines. If you start bending rules for one, you must do so for all.

If you allow this, just wait to see what other owners might ask you to do. Injuries are a integral part about all fantasy sports

This.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RDD15 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm

One more opinion saying "no way"!
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm

If you dont have any "injury exemption clause" what is there to do?

Seems the same as if someone drafted Nathan. They are free to cut him for someone else on the wire, best you can do!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:06 am

bk1998 wrote:Disaster. Come up with a rule change suggestion, run it by all league members, and implement for next year if you want to give guys flexibility with keepers in the event of injury or other serious value changing events.

This. In fact, by being proactive and putting it out there as a suggestion for next year for the league to decide on, you don't look like the bad guy. Always stick to the rules.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner