Opinions on this format...please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Opinions on this format...please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Opinions on this format...please.

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:21 am

You sound like you really like FB. You should start your own league and make the rules fair. Try to get some guys in your present league, but get others also. If it is a local league it is more fun in my opinion. The league you are in now just can not possibly be fun.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 am

You don't deserve to be in a league like you are in. Why don't you start one on ESPN, they are free, for this year. I will be the first to join. PM me if you decide to do this.

Good luck,
Last edited by bigmck on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby bk1998 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Not impossible to improve that team, but it's a long road. I'd think that you're going to have to fill your roster with a lot of high risk high reward guys hoping they break out, and fill your minors slots with high ceiling guys that may be a long way from the majors.

Depending on how many guys you can snag that improve significantly over a 4-5 year period, you could have that team in contention. But I've got to think the gameplan for at least they next 3 years is less about performing today, and more about loading the roster up with guys that might help you level the playing field down the road.

If there aren't many guys like that available at draft, I'm probalby taking the best available players at the positions that the best teams are weakest, in hopes that you might be able to pull a midseason trade where you fill their hole for keepers in an effort to build.

I think what you need to ask yourself is do you want to spend 3 or 4 years building a team just to be competitive?
bk1998
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby StoneMoses » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Not impossible to improve that team, but it's a long road. I'd think that you're going to have to fill your roster with a lot of high risk high reward guys hoping they break out, and fill your minors slots with high ceiling guys that may be a long way from the majors.

....last year I was making roster move after roster move, trying to catch a little lightning in a bottle.
I've been able to latch onto a few good players that flew under the radar of the other owners like Jayson Werth, Michael Bourn, Shin Soo Choo, Jason Bartlett, Jason Kubel, Max Schertzer and Edwin Jackson....but the talent gap between the top teams and the bottom teams is still pretty wide.
I like these guys, though I've only met a couple in person and would hate to leave the league.
I've already paid my league fees for the year and I'm going to hope for the best, but I honestly don't see much change on the horizon.
I'll play in a league again next year regardless.
Hopefully, it'll be in a league where I know I have a realistic chance of being competitive.
Thanks to everyone for the help....I just wanted to convince myself that I was not being unreasonable in my feelings.
StoneMoses
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby koondog » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 am

As a serious money league, you can't have it both ways. the ability to keep a large portion of your roster indefinitely with no penalities. its just not fair and a doesn't provide a good arena for teams to compete for prize money. you really have a couple options to fix this. Limit the duration a player can be kept for or limit the amount the keepers. Or institute a salary system the allows players to be kept, but with mandatory yearly raises. [something like 10%]. That will allow you to keep the current system, but the salaries will force owners to drop players to stay under the salary cap.

It sounds like you have a good bunch of owners, and the league should at least listen to your concerns. But something should change to have more balance. Otherwise, I would look for a new league. (unless you don't mind donating your $$ each year to the top 3-4 teams) ><
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner