yahoo website draft - logistics question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

yahoo website draft - logistics question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

yahoo website draft - logistics question

Postby gforce1124 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:20 pm

My league usually drafts in person but this year we cannot. We'll be forced to do an online draft. I'd love to do it through the yahoo system (we've had our league there for years) but only if I can change the length of time you have to make a pick. If I remember my football drafts correctly, they give you 1 minute and 30 seconds to draft or you get the highest ranked guy. Can I change that time frame? If not, we'll just draft in a chat room. Thanks!
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: yahoo website draft - logistics question

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:19 pm

gforce1124 wrote:My league usually drafts in person but this year we cannot. We'll be forced to do an online draft. I'd love to do it through the yahoo system (we've had our league there for years) but only if I can change the length of time you have to make a pick. If I remember my football drafts correctly, they give you 1 minute and 30 seconds to draft or you get the highest ranked guy. Can I change that time frame? If not, we'll just draft in a chat room. Thanks!

The time per pick is not currently configurable for our users. Out of curiosity, what time limit would you like if you had your choice?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 93)

Postby gforce1124 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Ideally I'd like it customized for anything we want to set it to. Maybe up to 20 or 30 minutes a pick? I'm sure we wouldn't come close to that during the draft, but we're concerned of what might happen if someone loses their internet connection, etc. We're all friends in the league and wouldn't want someone stuck with a "bad pick" or someone they just don't want. I know you can pre-rank players on the site before the draft but that's very time consuming and doesn't hold true to the decisions you make during a live draft. Besides, with 1.5 minutes per pick, that's not enough time to make fun of the bad picks that are made. That's half of the fun!
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Porkchop Express » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Is it possible to take part in two Yahoo drafts at the same time?
Porkchop Express
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 pm

gforce1124 wrote:Ideally I'd like it customized for anything we want to set it to. Maybe up to 20 or 30 minutes a pick? I'm sure we wouldn't come close to that during the draft, but we're concerned of what might happen if someone loses their internet connection, etc. We're all friends in the league and wouldn't want someone stuck with a "bad pick" or someone they just don't want. I know you can pre-rank players on the site before the draft but that's very time consuming and doesn't hold true to the decisions you make during a live draft. Besides, with 1.5 minutes per pick, that's not enough time to make fun of the bad picks that are made. That's half of the fun!

I thought that I read a statement that mentioned the commish of a yahoo league could pause a live draft (in the event a player was kicked - or something).
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Porkchop Express wrote:Is it possible to take part in two Yahoo drafts at the same time?
yes. just open it in another tab
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)

Postby Porkchop Express » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:44 pm

wrveres wrote:
Porkchop Express wrote:Is it possible to take part in two Yahoo drafts at the same time?
yes. just open it in another tab

Thank you.
Porkchop Express
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:49 pm

gforce1124 wrote:Besides, with 1.5 minutes per pick, that's not enough time to make fun of the bad picks that are made. That's half of the fun!

this is something i like. a person makes a pick and you(and others) want to comment and then by the time people are making a comment there could be 2 or 3 more picks made.
i think it would be great if in a custom league you could change the setting between picks. 30 minutes seems like an awfully long time, but that could be up to the people in THAT league. that also doesnt mean it has to take 30 minutes, im sure most if not all would never take that long anyway.
i would think 5 minutes would be nice. again that doesnt mean everyone takes the full 5 minutes, but you have time to work with. how often are you ready, you have say 2 or 3 players you want to draft and its 2 to 3 spots from your turn and BAM all 3 players you want are selected and your like F!!! now your left scrambling trying to decide between other players your considering trying to maybe look up your projections and such and then BAM yahoo makes the pick for you automatically and your again like F!!! i hate when that happens.
i dont see this working in a public yahoo league though. i know ive been in plenty of public yahoo leagues taking the full 1 1/2 minutes and will have people getting upset that its taking so long.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby saemick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Personally, I'd love to be able to extend the length of the pics to like 3 minutes or something. When it gets to those later rounds, 1.5 min is pretty tough
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:25 am

Yeah, I think configurable up to 5 minutes would be good, and the commissioner should be able to pause the draft for 15 or 30 minutes or something in order to handle internet connection drops and things like that.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers