Converting from draft league to auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Converting from draft league to auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Converting from draft league to auction league

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:48 am

Our league has historically permitted 13 keepers with a 9 round draft. However, none of the 13 keepers could be from 5 randomly selected teams; this ensures that the draft and trading deadline remain interesting. It's a great system and has served us well for 9 years.

Nine of our 12 owners want to at least explore converting the "draft & stash" to an auction system with a cap. Have other leagues done this? Is there an easy way to convert from one to the other? Are there particular things we should stay aware of?

Thanks!
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Converting from draft league to auction league

Postby bigmck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:56 am

You have to find a way to give the 13 keepers a salary. This is not an easy thing to do. I suppose you could find a magazine and use those values on your Keepers for this year and then have your Auction on the remaining players. One thing I would suggest is make your 13 keepers this year have a short term contract, maybe two years so that they will be thrown back and a real salary is assigned to them when they are bid on in two years.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Well..... it's either very easy or very complicated, depending upon how ultimately fair about it you want to be.

The first thing to consider is your categories. If you use basic 5x5 you're in pretty good shape. You can just select one auction value source: CBS, ESPN, whatever, as the source of your player values. If you use something more complicated or different you either can go with one of those anyway as being pretty close to the mark or you can generate your own player values either by searching here for the auction value calculator or use something like lastplayerpicked.com.

Now.... that covers how to value players. The more thorny question is when you choose to value players. Do you use this year's values? Last year's? The year that the player got drafted? The most accurate, and thus the most fair, is to use them for the year that the player got drafted. Since that would be a gigantic PITA, though, I would just go with last year's values/projections.

Once you have your values settled, then you'll want to throw on some escalators to force some decisions so that player get tossed back. Your randomly selected 5 teams does that a little bit but trust me, you probably want escalators anyway. My recommendation here is stay away from contracts. They're messy. You have to keep track of them. They're fantasy baseball for accountants. Instead just put in an escalator that grows. Think about what numbers feel right to you.... we use $3 the first year, $5 the second year, and $10 every year after that and that works for us. Oh, and in case it wasn't intuitive, if you do choose to set player's draft values on any year but this year, I would also retroactively apply whatever escalator you agree upon.

This may sound like a lot but it really isn't. And going to an auction draft is worth it. Best of luck.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Walden warriors » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Matthias,

How complicated is it to track contracts? I guess I took for granted how easy it is; just use a shared google doc that any owner can access. That really is the root of weighing to go with a standard escalator or contract tracking.

We use 9x9 for categories. Categories are R, RBI, BBs, SOs, FPCT, BA, SLG, TBs, SBs, W, L, HLD, SV, ERA, WHIP, BBs, Ks, and IP. There is talk of going to 11x11, but for now it's just talk. So, a 5x5 "appraisal" would kind of work and kind of not.

One idea that was thrown out would be to permit a player's owner to have right of first refusal on the player's auction value. So, if Matt Kemp is on my 13-man "keeper" list, and he goes for 5 years and $120, I would have the right to match that price. Not exactly keeper, but probably pretty close to true market value for the league.

I appreciate the encouragement. I read on another site that 95% of leagues that convert to an auction & cap don't go back. That should tell you something.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RDD15 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I think that your best option is to come up with a rule set, and start with a fresh auction this year, no keepers. Yeah, teams will lose keepers, but the beauty of an auction is that if you want a particular guy enough, you can get him.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:17 pm

I may be overblowing the complexity of tracking contracts but really I just don't like them. They're just accounting that leads to more accounting. I haven't ever done them myself, but I have seen people here discuss or ask questions on theirs and they'll have league constitutions that exceed 20 pages. It may sound easy to say, "I give Hanley Ramirez a 5-year contract for $200." Fine. Ok. And then what if he blows out his elbow this May and can never play baseball again? Your owner will want some clause added that he only has to some %age of the remaining contract because it's not really "fair" to have him blowing so much money for the next 5 years. So you add a clause to fix it. And then something else comes up.... someone gets Pujols his rookie year for a 5-year contract for $10. And so from now until 2015 they have the buy of the century. And so you come up with something to fix that. And before you know it, your rules are really complex, you have guys trading dead salary cap for some other benefit, and it's all just a giant mess. You're just locking yourself into guaranteed problems down the road.

That's why I just say, have a current price. Have a fair escalator. My rule of thumb is that if someone does their scouting and picks up a diamond in the rough, they should be able to reap those rewards for 3 years. So I structure my escalator accordingly.

The right of first refusal sounds fair. Although I would also give the current owner a discount. So if, at this year's auction, Pujols settles for $51, and he was designated as a keeper, then the owner who kept him would have the right to keep him for $46 or $48 or similar. That gives a little extra benefit to being the guy who owned him.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner