Which is more popular: fantasy baseball or fantasy football? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which is more popular: fantasy baseball or fantasy football?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which is more popular: fantasy baseball or fantasy football?

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah, I've played fantasy football for the last ten seasons or so, but for the last couple of years, it's becoming more and more tedious to me. It just doesn't require that much thought, and so much of it is based on luck, that it almost doesn't seem worth. The reason I continue to play, though, is because it makes all of the games each Sunday more interesting to me.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Football is definetly more popular.

Easier for casual fans to get into, way way more luck driven.

I prefer baseball way over it but will always do a couple football ones.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:21 pm

I agree fantasy football is more popular, but I almost feel sorry for people who play that game thinking it's the greatest when they really don't understand they could get so much more from playing fantasy baseball... way more strategy to it, like a season-long game of chess sometimes in daily leagues.

People who say it would take up too much of their time, etc. I'd say these are people who are using the internet on a daily basis anyways, so what's a few minutes of checking up on your team each day or whatever? It's only as much of a time-suck as you make it. I'm totally obsessed with it, but I could see someone being competitive and enjoying it even if they were only spending a few minutes a day on it.

I've won a few fantasy football championships, and I must say it's way harder to win a championship in fantasy baseball (feels that way anyways), so it also feels more rewarding when you make it to the final four in your league. I too am kind of bored with fantasy football (although I do enjoy the real game of football) and agree it requires zero brain skillz. Especially draft-style, that's about as caveman as fantasy sports gets. The main reason I do it is just for the camraderie with league-mates, but honestly I study fantasy baseball year-round. I'm usually starting my baseball draft prep in December, no matter how my fantasy football team is doing.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:50 pm

Not even close, FF is far more popular than FB. I've played FF for over 10 years and the last couple years have become very bored with it. Now I'm down to just the one league I've been in for those 10 years with old high school buddies. 2 years ago, in this league, I didn't pay attention all season long, until the last couple weeks leading into the playoffs. And I won the championship. That shouldn't happen. And that wouldn't happen in FB.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreenMtn! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:57 pm

kaiser wrote:Yeah, I've played fantasy football for the last ten seasons or so, but for the last couple of years, it's becoming more and more tedious to me. It just doesn't require that much thought, and so much of it is based on luck, that it almost doesn't seem worth. The reason I continue to play, though, is because it makes all of the games each Sunday more interesting to me.

I agree completely. I play fantasy football mainly for the social aspect, since all of my friends do it. I do fantasy baseball for personal enjoyment.
GreenMtn!
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 pm

bleach168 wrote:I have friends who think fantasy basketball is the greatest thing ever.

Yeah, my friends aren't very smart.

Hey now. :-D You keep the minority jokes to yourself.

Fantasy hoops isn't nearly as complex (especially statistically) as fantasy baseball, but it's a huge step up from fantasy football. Fantasy football is worth the extra 30min a week it takes to set one team, since it spices up watching the games a little, but that's about it. I think craps has about as much skill involved though.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Element » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:52 pm

kaiser wrote:Yeah, I've played fantasy football for the last ten seasons or so, but for the last couple of years, it's becoming more and more tedious to me. It just doesn't require that much thought, and so much of it is based on luck, that it almost doesn't seem worth. The reason I continue to play, though, is because it makes all of the games each Sunday more interesting to me.

This. The only reason I continue to do it is because all of my close friends are in the league ... plus draft day is always fun. I've been playing for 15+ years, but I could really care less about it. I catch up with the offseason transactions and such about two weeks before the draft & that is about it. Only two of the guys from that league like baseball. Both agree that baseball is more complex despite being diehard football fans. Most that don't play baseball just don't want the season long grind.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 791)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers