Prospect/Minor League Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Prospect/Minor League Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospect/Minor League Draft

Postby Bucktail30 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 am

I started a keeper league this year with a group of guys that plan to stick for years to come. On top of the keeper league we want to develop minor league rosters. Anyone have a good way of going about this without a ton of work from the commissioner(me)?
Bucktail30
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prospect/Minor League Draft

Postby BoBtheMule » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 am

I just did this and it worked out pretty well and we ran a 15 round draft in about a month.

I created a proboards forum, posted the rules and got everyone registered. I also got everyone's cell numbers so I could text or call them if needed.
I gave everyone 24 hours to post their pick... if someone didn't post in that time or posted an ineligible name, I put the next person on the clock and allowed the owner that was late or made an error the opportunity to post their actual pick at their convenience.

Each pick included name, position and a link showing the player was an actual minor leaguer (milb or mlb link).

A lot of the guys posted directly on the forum, others would email me with a name when I told them they were up... a couple times I had lists from ppl and was told to go from top to bottom.

I kept a master list of all the picks on google docs spreadsheet which allowed others to view it in a different format than the forum.

Did that with 12 guys... it went about a month quicker than I thought it would.

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Prospect/Minor League Draft

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 am

Bucktail30 wrote:I started a keeper league this year with a group of guys that plan to stick for years to come. On top of the keeper league we want to develop minor league rosters. Anyone have a good way of going about this without a ton of work from the commissioner(me)?

CBS, (along with, I imagine most of the pay sites) is easily customizable for those sorts of things. You set your minor league roster spots and roll with it.

What we did year one was have to seperate drafts. One for major leaguers and one for minor leagues (25 rounds, then 8 rounds). We did this so any problems were fixed between the two (and they didnt take 10 hours, which they still did).

What we discovered was 2-3 players (myself included) started drafting minor leaguers in the middle of the major league draft, which in future years led to us only having one draft, and teams just had to have the 25/8 (now 25/10) fixed by opening day.

For players not in the system the commish can create a filler. During the draft we just drafted "z" named players and kept notes. You will see this with some deep minor leaguers and international guys.

One thing we did after year 3 was create an incentive to keep each other honest with DL and minor leagues. If you had a player illegally on the minor league roster (not ROY eligible) or on DL more then 72 hours extra you got dinged 5 pts that week. This meant everyone was scanning each others rosters constantly, which I have to think increased trades too.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner