New commish, anybody have software recomendations? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New commish, anybody have software recomendations?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New commish, anybody have software recomendations?

Postby mister_jay_peg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 am

I just got a league thrown into my lap this week, and I'm totally unprepared for it. I'm looking around for draft software, and anything I see worthwhile is gonna set my wallet back a bit, and anything free I find is crap.

Anyone have any suggestions? If it helps, it's a roto 5x5...
It's only cheating on your favorite team if you get caught... Like the '07 Series.
mister_jay_peg
College Coach
College Coach

Editor
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New commish, anybody have software recomendations?

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm not real sure what you are looking for. If you want a site to do your stats and run your league try ESPN. It is free and is a good site. If you are trying to find something with dollar values on players there are magazines everywhere. I like the USA Today Baseball Weekly Fantasy Edition which comes out the third Wednesday of March.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby mister_jay_peg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Sorry about that...
What I meant is that I am looking for software that I can use as a player-tracker/stat-tracker for offseason in conjunction with the off-season website.

The league has Minors and MLB keepers. A player can be drafted ONLY onto the Minors FBB roster until they reach the MLB rookie minimums (150 AB, 50IP). (Now, a player under those limits can be picked up off of waivers after the draft, but the good to maybe prospects are locked into the MiLB rosters 9 out of 10 because we keep 6 each). Also, a player can only be called up when they reach those numbers. I really don't look forward to checking in on the 20-30 rookies on the rosters who'll be on MLB rosters daily at some point to see when they hit the limits... So for this, I was looking for something that would download stats from somewhere like mlb.com or some other stat source.

Other rules I wanna try to automate are our keepers and drafting. We can keep at least 4 and up to 8, and the longer you keep them, the more they cost you, to a point. It's the original draft position, +1 round per year, up to your highest pick left.

This is gonna be the easier of the two issues, since I'll have about 7-10 days between keeper due date and draft start date, but I don't have a ton of time in Feb/March because of school, so any background help would be killer.

Again, thanks for any and all help. :)
It's only cheating on your favorite team if you get caught... Like the '07 Series.
mister_jay_peg
College Coach
College Coach

Editor

Postby BoBtheMule » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

i don't have anything made yet... I'm as commish in a league setup similarly and will need to setup things up as I go but what you need to do is learn how to manipulate and create high end spreadsheets (google docs, excel or open office) so this stuff isn't difficult. Sorry there isn't really a better answer that's free but it's not a high demand system.

Bob
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mister_jay_peg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 pm

:) Aw crap.

I'm crud with spreadsheets. I can do basic formulations, but that's about it.

Ah well, though. Guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. *heh*
mister_jay_peg
College Coach
College Coach

Editor

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Simplify your rules. Make the tracking easier. That's my suggestion.

We have some minor league spots on our rosters but the rule I have is that you can promote them to your regular team at any time, but once they're promoted, you can't demote them. And if you want to keep them as a minor league player in the next draft, they have to fall beneath the rookie of the year qualifications. That way the only time I need to check the At Bats, Innings Pitched, or Games on a Major League roster is in the offseason and it's only for a small number of them.

From the sound of it, you're creating a lot of work for yourself. You can copy, paste, and download stats for all games to keep an up to date spreadsheet of everyone's availability or you could buy the stats from Stats.com but that's expensive.

The last way I would handle it would be to define your minor leaguers as matching a definition that is provided by the website that you use for your league. For example, Sportsline lets you check a box that teams can only use the Minor league spots for players who are in the minor leagues, i.e., once they get called up you have to promote them. I don't know what, if anything, would be the equivalent in ESPN, Yahoo, or whereever else you're considering hosting your league but that would be another way to handle it.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:35 pm

The draft and keeper thing is actually easy to do yourself, though. Here's how I would do it.

For every player, have a column that is "round drafted." Then the next column is "year drafted" as the season they were drafted in expressed as a whole year. Then the next column would be "current year" also as a whole year. Then the fourth column would be "years kept." Now just take "round drafted" minus "years kept." You can make it a little more fancy, if you like, to automate to check if it goes below zero or to make sure you don't have duplicate keepers in the same round or whatever, but that will really do what you're looking for. The nice part about it is that you never have to reenter the information for anyone once they're drafted.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner