First round pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: First round pitching

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am

Padsin05 wrote:actually my opinion on Halladay would be to move him down, the dude has had a TON of CG's only cause he pitches in the AL, its a different ballgame in the NL, yes the lineups are weaker, but he will be pinch hit for in the 7th on occasion, and definately the 8th and 9th in the NL, where he can just trot back out there in the AL

Why would they pinch hit for Halladay if he is 7IP 0-1 ER?

What would be more beneficial, Halladay for two more innings or Ross Gload/Dobbs pinch hitting...

Let me think about that.. :-?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:actually my opinion on Halladay would be to move him down, the dude has had a TON of CG's only cause he pitches in the AL, its a different ballgame in the NL, yes the lineups are weaker, but he will be pinch hit for in the 7th on occasion, and definately the 8th and 9th in the NL, where he can just trot back out there in the AL

Why would they pinch hit for Halladay if he is 7IP 0-1 ER?

What would be more beneficial, Halladay for two more innings or Ross Gload/Dobbs pinch hitting...

Let me think about that.. :-?

Not only that but having a horse like Halladay gives you the opportunity to rest your bullpen a lot more. I think that's more important than pinch hitting him in most situations.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:08 am

Ender wrote:In a standard league there is no reason to ever take a pitcher or C in the 1st round imo.

Generally I'd agree with this, but you have to make an exception for Mike-Piazza-in-His-Prime-Type catchers. But yeah, only a moron would draft a pitcher in the first round, and I can't even imagine the kind of idiot that would take pitchers in the first two rounds.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I can't even imagine the kind of idiot that would take pitchers in the first two rounds.

This one :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:23 am

Art Vandelay wrote:only a moron would draft a pitcher in the first round, and I can't even imagine the kind of idiot that would take pitchers in the first two rounds.

That's a little over the top. Taking Lincecum in the second, or Halladay late in the second, isn't completely nuts. I wouldn't do it with either one, but I can understand the justifications for it.

Wait a second, in rereading your post, I think you are saying don't take SP with both your #1 and #2 picks? Yes, that's 100% correct. You WOULD have to be nuts to do that.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 pm

I could see drafting Pedro or RJ when they were at their peaks, but I'm not touching a pitcher until the 2nd round. I would need a pitcher to be so much more dominant than the rest of the field to even consider drafting him top 12.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers