First round pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First round pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First round pitching

Postby skjelstrom » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Now I'm not big on taking pitching early (especially with the great middle round options available) but does anyone think it would be a good idea to take someone like Roy Halladay or Tim Lincecum early?

Halladay is arguably the best pitcher in baseball and even though he may be getting old he is still VERY dominant. He is pretty much as much of a lock as you can get for injury free pitchers and most of all he is moving to the NL and out of the AL East. He will also get more win support with a team like the Phillies batting behind him.

and As for Lincecum he has 2 Cy Young's already and STILL has room to improve. He is just flat out amazing.

Also just for other purposes my league has QS, CG, and SHO to add to the normal stats (ERA, WHIP, k/9, W)

What is your opinion on early pitching and exceptions such as these?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First round pitching

Postby silverZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Timmy is the only pitcher worth a late 1st round pick, unless you have some crazy scoring cats.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm

With CG and SO I would definitely move Timmy and Halladay way up into the first round (Timmy probably #6, Halladay probably #12), otherwise no (though Timmy is at #14 for me)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I play in a 10 team 7x7 H2H with the other categories being BAA and K/9 (OBP and SLG for batters) so it is tempting to take Timmy in the 1st. I wouldn't touch Halladay, he gives up a lot of hits, and he's in a bandbox. Timmy is almost guaranteed to be in the top 10 by the end of the season in this format. Pitching version of Pujols. But it's hard to pass on the hitters that will be available. The only reason I would consider it, is that in a lot of mocks I've been doing people like Zimmerman and Votto are always sitting there at the next turn.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:With CG and SO I would definitely move Timmy and Halladay way up into the first round (Timmy probably #6, Halladay probably #12), otherwise no (though Timmy is at #14 for me)

CG alone would force me to move Halladay above Lincecum, especially with the move to the NL.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

In a standard league there is no reason to ever take a pitcher or C in the 1st round imo.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby skjelstrom » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 pm

I know they should be moved up but usually I purposefully avoid pitchers until mid rounds. Is there anyone who usually waits for pitching like I do, that would make the exception because of the CG and SHO catagories?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:With CG and SO I would definitely move Timmy and Halladay way up into the first round (Timmy probably #6, Halladay probably #12), otherwise no (though Timmy is at #14 for me)

CG alone would force me to move Halladay above Lincecum, especially with the move to the NL.

actually my opinion on Halladay would be to move him down, the dude has had a TON of CG's only cause he pitches in the AL, its a different ballgame in the NL, yes the lineups are weaker, but he will be pinch hit for in the 7th on occasion, and definately the 8th and 9th in the NL, where he can just trot back out there in the AL
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Senor Shush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 am

Padsin05 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

actually my opinion on Halladay would be to move him down, the dude has had a TON of CG's only cause he pitches in the AL, its a different ballgame in the NL, yes the lineups are weaker, but he will be pinch hit for in the 7th on occasion, and definately the 8th and 9th in the NL, where he can just trot back out there in the AL

Was just getting on here to post the same thing. haha!

Look at the top 10 CG leaders from last year. 6 of 10 were from the AL, with Roy topping out at 9. The top 3 CG-leaders from the NL were Lincecum, Cain and Carpenter. Them together only combined for 11CG's, 2 more than what Roy posted in Toronto. I'd say 5 CGs is his ceiling this year, strictly due to the reasons pointed out above.
Senor Shush
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:18 am

Padsin05 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

Lee pitched 3 CG in 12 starts in Philly last year. The division was already wrapped up, so I think it's pretty safe to say Halladay will pitch his share of CGs this year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers