The Bumgarner Velo Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Bumgarner Velo Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Bumgarner Velo Thread

Postby B-Chad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:58 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Buy low?

If I was in a dynasty/deep keeper league, I would be trying to. I still have faith.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Tue, Mar 16
Bumgarner, who allowed three runs over three innings in a win Monday, was reportedly mostly hitting 88-89 mph on the stadium gun, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
Recommendation: At this point, those readings have to be considered encouraging. Still, Bumgarner is now sporting an embarrassing 0:7 K:BB ratio over seven innings this spring, so he'll need to start pitching considerably better to even have a chance at winning the Giants' No. 5 starter job.
(Rotowire.com)
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:25 pm

B-Chad wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Buy low?

If I was in a dynasty/deep keeper league, I would be trying to. I still have faith.

I'm supposed to be excited about a prospect that is hitting 91 in relief with questionable secondary stuff? Still overvalued.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm

according to the gameday pitch fx for that game he was sitting at 88-91 and touched 93. he's still only 20 years old so i wouldn't write him off yet.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:according to the gameday pitch fx for that game he was sitting at 88-91 and touched 93. he's still only 20 years old so i wouldn't write him off yet.

Writing him off is different than saying he's still a little overvalued.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm

from twitter:

hankschulman- Bumgarner tightened his motion in first AAA start. Pitches livelier. Tidrow and Decker say he threw 91 and touched 93.

good sign imo, hopefully he can keep it up.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:from twitter:

hankschulman- Bumgarner tightened his motion in first AAA start. Pitches livelier. Tidrow and Decker say he threw 91 and touched 93.

good sign imo, hopefully he can keep it up.

:-)
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby oddmanout7 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:42 pm

• Remember in spring training when Madison Bumgarner looked like a shell of his former self? Well, apparently Bumgarner is back in top form, not only statistically, but in terms of his raw stuff as well. Bumgarner has been sitting at 90-93 mph in recent starts for Fresno, a far cry from the 87-89 he showed me back in spring training. In his last two outings, the swings and misses have return as well. In those two starts, he struck 13 batters in 13 innings of work, while allowing just three hits and three walks. The Giants have to be thrilled with his progress after a disappointing spring.
- Frankie Piliere

Bumgarner has made a mechanical adjustment that's given him more velocity and has also started throwing a cutter. He has a 1.54 ERA and 29:11 K:BB over his last 35 innings.
- ESPN

If he can keep this up he should get the call in the near future. Hopefully he can continue to refine his secondary stuff, but it is encouraging that he has regained some of the velocity. Now if only he could throw an average slider. His changeup looks like it may be average already with the potential to develop into a plus pitch, but we shall see.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:59 pm

In 82.2ip he has 59K, 29BB, a 3.16ERA and a 1.33 WHIP.

He has in no way been perfect, but his performance on Sunday has to be encouraging.

Bumgarner Ks 11 in latest start: Giants top pitching prospect Madison Bumgarner didn't get the win on Sunday but he did have a great outing for the Fresno Grizzlies. The lefty struck out a season-high 11 batters, falling just one K short of tying his career best. What was more impressive was his ability to bounce back after a poor first inning. Bumgarner allowed two runs on three hits and committed an error in the first but settled down to allow just three runs on five hits over 7 2/3 innings. "Every time he pitches like that, he's that much closer to the big leagues," Grizzlies manager Steve Decker said to the Fresno Bee. "Great performance for him. One of the greatest outings for him all year. After the first inning, he found his groove. He had everything working."

Bumgarner actually snapped a string of four straight starts with a victory with the no-decision on Sunday. His record is 6-0 over his last 10 starts for the Grizzlies with a 2.23 ERA and he's 7-1 on the year with a 3.16 earned run average. Bumgarner seems ready for the majors but he is still just 20 years of age until August. The Giants do need a starter for Saturday in Week 12 (June 21-27). Most of the talk has centered around either Joe Martinez or Todd Wellemeyer coming off the disabled list. There has been little mention of Bumgarner but it does seem like a good opportunity to get him in the rotation.

-From CBS

Anyone know how his velocity has been?
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers