Generic pitcher spots--change in strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Generic pitcher spots--change in strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Generic pitcher spots--change in strategy?

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm in an auction lg, that is switching to all open pitcher slots. We will have 8 spots, with no restrictions as to SP or RP. Scoring is standard 5X5. Should I go with just a balanced team, trying to get fair amt of wins and saves? Or, does no restrictions favor a couple strong win/K pitchers, with alot of low era relievers? Maybe the change doesn't make any difference in strategy, I don't know. Any thoughts?
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Generic pitcher spots--change in strategy?

Postby RugbyD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:54 pm

assuming you have an IP limit in the normal, acheiveable range it shouldn't make a difference.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm

I have completely dominated (semi-competitive) leagues by manipulating this in the last two years. One was a 6x6 roto, the other a 6x6 H2H. It makes your drafting decisions SO much easier at the tail end. My only worry is that this is starting to catch on with more casual players, so some of the RPs I'm looking for late are no longer there.

[sidenote]Admittedly, that 6th category really helps augment the non-starter strategy if it's an averaging category (like K/9), a negative category (like L or Hits), or a RP-counting category (like Holds).[/sidenote]

A standard 5x5 will be tougher to get the edge in when you're essentially "punting" Wins, but I think it can still work if you get the right number of guys and mix them well. Obviously you're getting a huge advantage in Saves, ERA, and WHIP, and can generally stay very competitive in Ks if you can keep your inning-count up.

I'm generally targeting 3 top- to middle-tier starters who have high K-rates to keep those innings up. I may bump this later in the season to 4 if a prospect is panning out and has some decent matchups (only if I'm falling way behind in Ks and need some innings eaten). After those 3 SPs, I'm generally drafting the best 4 closers I can get my hands on and then 3-4 setup guys with awesome ratios. Those setup guys generally go undrafted, and basically give you scalped saves instead of wins, and eat up 70 innings instead of the 150+ that a lower-tier SP would, at much better ratios.

By the end of the season, when everyone else with 5 SPs has used up 1300 IP, you'll be somewhere down around 1100-1150. You may only get to 65-70 wins on the season, leaving you towards the bottom of the pack, but 140+ Saves will guarantee you that spot and you'll definitely be at the top in ERA/WHIP.

The real key to this is being able to make daily moves. As long as you can get 8 pitchers with a chance to get innings everyday, you're okay. There's no way you can get away with leaving all your starters in there all the time and using only 4 RPs.

As for auction strategy... name all the Starters you can before you get into the RPs, and hopefully everybody will blow their wads on their 4th/5th starters before they get to their 3rd closers.

In a draft, I think this is a minor advantage. You'll be saving a couple picks in the 13-15th round and moving them down to 20+, but you'll also need to be drafting some higher quality starters and closers, meaning you're downgrading hitting a bit. The advantage really comes during the season with how you manage your pen. I don't think it necessarily gives you any better of a team than anybody else, and if there's others out there paying attention they're going to be able to pick up on something similar even later in the season. Managing your pitching staff and innings is really just a basic skill in any roto league, so it's not like this is ground-breaking by any means.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 pm

thanks guys. I'm thinking of going for about 3 high k type SP, then filling out my pitcher spots with good ratio guys. Will have to have a couple closers for sure, as I don't like to totally punt a category.
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 26)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Strategy makes more sense in a roto league than a H2H, where one bad outing from one of your "ratio guys" can end up skewing your stats for the week.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby MTUCache » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Strategy makes more sense in a roto league than a H2H, where one bad outing from one of your "ratio guys" can end up skewing your stats for the week.

Eh, I can see that logic, but the same thing can be said about any averaging stat like that, whether it's ERA/WHIP or AVG. How much more valuable are guys like Dunn or Pena in a H2H league than in a roto league? Sure, the variance may make for a roller-coaster ride week to week, but at the end of a long season you're still about the same place.

Actually, the variance might be even lower using RPs than it would be using SP. While a setup guy blows the ratios by giving up two runs in an inning (maybe a half-dozen times through the season), a starting pitcher who has a bad start is giving up 5+ runs over 4-5 innings. Sure, you'll have a lot more small blow-ups, but by limiting yourself to 3-4 starters you'll have a lot less big ones. At the end of the week you're shooting for 40-45 IP while your opponent may be throwing 50+ (the last 10 of which are by starters who are a lot riskier than anybody on your staff).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

I guess that statement is true. At the end of the year you should be at the same place. The problem lies in how patient you are when your reliever goes out there and punts his outing, Brad Lidge style. If that happens, you have to hope your starters go out there and actually pitch well, or it'll be like you're punting wins, era, and whip.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers