Draft Position. where to choose?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Position. where to choose??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Position. where to choose??

Postby saemick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Just had our draft selection and I pulled the 2nd choice. The person who pulled the #1 choice obviously chose the #1 spot to nab Pujols.

So, do I go with the 2nd pick and grab HanRam or do I get a later pick & aim for a top player & hope to get another one around the turn?

I know this is really only for the 1st 2 rounds b/c after that, there's no telling where people will be picked within a round, but would still like to get some other opinions on this.

Thoughts?
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Position. where to choose??

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Stay with the number 2 pick and there's a discussion about the value of each draft slot in the first round somewhere here in leftovers, not buried deep if you want to check through threads or wait on someone more helpful to simply link to it.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

i absolutely love the first two picks this year and would definitely take the number 2 spot. grab hanley and then there are plenty of solid options at the turn in rounds 2/3. something like hanram/halladay/agonz gives you a great well rounded core to build a team around.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:22 am

We don't do our pick selection until 30 minutes b/f the draft. I'm in a 12 team head to head. I want the 10th pick personally. I feel that with that pick I will end up with two of the following: Miggy, Longoria, Lincecum, Wright or Tulowitzki. I have a style where I try to avoid outfielders in the early rounds and draft mainly position players. I feel that every year there is a Jason Werth, Julio Borbon, Rajai Davis, etc that come off the wire to fill my OF. Just my $.02
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:55 am

I want 1-2 or 10-12 as well, I dont want a middle first pick, Id rather get value out of the guy that falls which inevitable always happens, and get a guy I want in the 2nd that usually could be another guy that falls yet is a first round producer
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby saemick » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 am

Not sure if it would effect your decision here, but my particular league is a Yahoo! league. And after seeing their ADP (Here's their top 24):
Albert Pujols
Hanley Ramírez
Álex Rodríguez
Chase Utley
Ryan Braun
Joe Mauer
Matt Kemp
Tim Lincecum
Troy Tulowitzki
Evan Longoria
Mark Teixeira
David Wright
Ryan Howard
Prince Fielder
Roy Halladay
Miguel Cabrera
Ian Kinsler
Matt Holliday
Justin Upton
Jacoby Ellsbury
Carl Crawford
Dustin Pedroia
Adrián González
Grady Sizemore

After looking at these, as much as I like HanRam...my GOD, if I can score 2 of Fielder, MCab, Longoria, Howard, etc I'm tempted to take the 10th pick
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 am

saemick wrote:After looking at these, as much as I like HanRam...my GOD, if I can score 2 of Fielder, MCab, Longoria, Howard, etc I'm tempted to take the 10th pick

That's the way I typically feel as well.

But, I don't think I'd be the least bit upset by having my first 3 picks be Hanley, AGonz, and Reynolds either.

When you factor in how flat everything gets in rounds 2 and 3, and how messed up the pre-draft rankings are anyway after the fourth round, I think I'd rather have as many picks in the top 50 as possible, which means that 1/24/25/48/49 looks better than 12/13/36/37/60. The extra value you get with Albert/Hanley and then those 48/49 picks looks very tasty. While two late-first-rounders at 12/13 and then two third-rounders at 36/37 doesn't look half bad either, that 60+ pick doesn't hold as much value for me.

Anyway, that's just gut feelings about who's going to be taken which is all league/draft dependent. More realistically, from a draft-day strategy perspective, I'd rather have 1/2 or 10/11/12. Those middle picks take a lot more work to figure out who's going to be falling back to you with your next picks. At 2, 10, or 11 I feel like I can easily make decisions about the teams between me and my next pick and figure out pretty quickly which of the two or three guys I'm looking at is still going to be there in a few picks.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am

I'd take pick #2, it isn't just about the first 2 rounds. The late picks ever make up the value lost by being behind on every single pick of the draft. Anyway most drafts won't see Lincecum, Tulo and Mauer go in the 1st round so you probably aren't getting 2 of Fielder, MCab, Longoria and Howard. Pick 12 might get 2 of those guys, pick 10 shouldn't in most drafts.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I'd be fine anywhere between 1-4. And if I had the 2nd pick I'd either go Arod or Braun.

Something scares me about Ramirez this year. His shoulder problems seem to pop up every year. And the Sb keep going down.

I can see him being a 25-15 guy this year. Still good, just not 2nd overall good.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

saemick wrote:Not sure if it would effect your decision here, but my particular league is a Yahoo! league. And after seeing their ADP (Here's their top 24):
Albert Pujols
Hanley Ramírez
Álex Rodríguez
Chase Utley
Ryan Braun
Joe Mauer
Matt Kemp
Tim Lincecum
Troy Tulowitzki
Evan Longoria
Mark Teixeira
David Wright
Ryan Howard
Prince Fielder
Roy Halladay
Miguel Cabrera
Ian Kinsler
Matt Holliday
Justin Upton
Jacoby Ellsbury
Carl Crawford
Dustin Pedroia
Adrián González
Grady Sizemore

After looking at these, as much as I like HanRam...my GOD, if I can score 2 of Fielder, MCab, Longoria, Howard, etc I'm tempted to take the 10th pick

I personally can't believe Joe Mauer is ranked so high. I understand he had a good season and that the Twin's new park I hear is favorable for hitters, but catchers are a risk early and his numbers don't quite equate with the other first round picks like Braun, Tulo or even 2nd rounders in Longoria, Fielder etc. McCann and Victor are capable of great seasons as well and you can get them so many rounds later, however, I will never invest in a catcher early, the late round bargains is the way to go imo.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers