Conferences? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Conferences?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Conferences?

Postby javens » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been running my fantasy baseball league for about 5 years now and have never used conferences. I have a 12 team league and was thinking about making 2 conferences. For those of you that have done this, can you give me some feed back on whether you like it more or less than just a straight 12-team league. Any insight would be much appreciated.
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Conferences?

Postby KrazyA428 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm

I haven't used divisions/conferences for a Fantasy Baseball league yet, but I used it for football last year. We had 12 teams, and divided up into 2 divisions - 6 and 6. We used a head-to-head format and we liked it a lot. You don't play people in your division more, it just affects who you are competing against for playoff spots. It doesn't change too much, assuming that your divisions are equally weighted with talented teams. It was a fun change of pace.

Any thoughts on mine? viewtopic.php?t=401889
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rickguilfoil » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm

I like conferences. Our football league is split into two conferences and it adds another dimension. The rivalry between conferences gets pretty heated at times. I think you would like it.
rickguilfoil
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Spimothy Leary » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 am

< Fan of conferences... for three reasons..

The inevitable post on the board that says.. our conference is more stacked than your sucky conference.

The opportunity to name the two conferences... (my commish loves that and is very creative)
last year it was the Puddin Pops vs the Dreamsicles (don't ask)

Rivalry's form and the playoff race gets a little heated or at least it seems to.

the ONLY downside... if you don't have a wildcard (or two) then inevitably some1 beeches and complains about the fact that he would have made the playoffs if he hadn't been in the "stacked" division. Our commish solved that in ours (we send 6) two from each division and two wildcards.
Spimothy Leary
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:23 am

Here is a great site that has schedules already made for leagues with Conferences.
http://schedules.footballguys.com/
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:41 pm

It depends.

Are we talking roto or h2h?
Dynasty, keeper or redrat?

The best part of Conferences is the ability to develop strong conference rivalries.
The down side is that occasionally, the best teams will all be in one conference and the 4th best team won't get into the playoffs.... and if you don't take steps to alter this, the best teams in the league will actually play in one side of the conference finals and NOT in the Championship.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bk1998 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:30 pm

We like it. H2H, points, auction, keeper

Two six team divisions with three teams from each division in the playoffs. The two division winners get first round byes. As others have said, it puts an emphasis on rivalries, and divisional matchups become a bit more important in the regular season, as they may have an impact on tiebreakers down the road.
bk1998
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:55 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:It depends.

The best part of Conferences is the ability to develop strong conference rivalries.
The down side is that occasionally, the best teams will all be in one conference and the 4th best team won't get into the playoffs.... and if you don't take steps to alter this, the best teams in the league will actually play in one side of the conference finals and NOT in the Championship.

In order to make Conferences work right, you have to have teams playing in their Conference more times than outside of it. If all teams play each other the same number of times, it defeats the whole purpose of two Conferences. I have my Fantasy League of ten teams in 2-five team Conferences. They play the teams in their Conference 3 times each and in the other Conference twice for a 22 week schedule. The six team playoffs start then. With a schedule like that, there can be no gripping about who made the playoffs. They all had an even shot.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bobs_auto » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34 pm

I've done two divisions in my Yahoo! league for a few years now. I liked the idea, but like people have mentioned, it doesn't really matter if you can't tailor the schedule, which Yahoo! does not allow....at least not that I can see. So, it isn't a major difference except the division winners get byes in the playoffs and maybe a little prize if you go that route.
10 team H2H Yahoo League. Two divisions, 1 win.
HR, AVG, RBI, SB, OBP, K, TB
IP, W, S, WHIP, ERA, K, HLD
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigmck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm

bobs_auto wrote:I've done two divisions in my Yahoo! league for a few years now. I liked the idea, but like people have mentioned, it doesn't really matter if you can't tailor the schedule, which Yahoo! does not allow....at least not that I can see. So, it isn't a major difference except the division winners get byes in the playoffs and maybe a little prize if you go that route.

You should try ESPN. The Custom Leagues, which are free, allow you to make the schedule anyway you want it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner