Great Pitchers, horrible Skill Posit.. Where to start... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Great Pitchers, horrible Skill Posit.. Where to start...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Great Pitchers, horrible Skill Posit.. Where to start...

Postby Spimothy Leary » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:30 pm

18 Team H2H 7 starting Pit per week.
Pts Based with following cat's only.
Batters
Runs Scored, Sac's, Errors, RBI, GWRBI
Pitching
Wins, Losses, Runs Allowed, Saves, Holds.
I went heavy in pitching , 4 of first 5 picks were SP or RP
Grienke, KC
Burnett NYY
Halladay, PHI
Cahill, OAK
Wells, Chc
MOyer, Phi (i pick 4th in waivers and have Padilla, Blackburn, Lohse and Clayton (sd) on my list.

Papelbon Bos
Heath Bell SD
Fuentes LAA

I have no middle relievers... so perhaps I have a "hold" issue. I've never had the hold catagory in a league so perhaps dropping Moyer should be for a MRP vs another starter.. ?
(Edit) Important note, it appears most of the league is ignoring this category also, most of the best "holders" are available , list on the bottom.

Batting... Ok, go ahead and slam me here....
C/1B Martinez Bos
1B Berkman Hou
2b/SS Cabrera Cle
2b/SS Valbuena, Cle (yes I pretty much have Cleveland's entire IF)
3B Casey Blake LAD
SS/3B Perlata, Cle
OF/1B Swisher NYY Start 2 OF
OF Josh Winningham Was
OF Mag Ordonez Det
OF/CF Melky Cabrera Atl
CF Marion Byrd ChC Start 1 CF

My Strategy...? well. didn't have much of one for this draft, I joined the league about 3 hours before the draft and my other draft isn't until mid march so I was very ill prepared, so I winged it, and decided that SP and RP were going to be my strengths and possible trade route's to upgrade other positions.

Strength's.. ?
I think i'm Stacked at SP and RP given that its an 18 man league.
My Infield is pretty Flexible. I have a number of multi position players which will help.

Weakness?
Batting is generally below average in most positions except Catcher
I'm going to get limited production in the weeks that Cleveland isn't playing a full plate of games.

my questions

1) Holds.. as stated above, should Moyer be dumped for a decent MRP instead of another starter ? I'm really unclear on how best to find players that will be strong in "holds", enlighten me.
There are lots of "holders" available according to espn projections.
Mijares, Min, ... Ziegler, Oak ... McClellan and Reyes Stl
Rhodes, Cinc, ... Meyer, Fla ... CJ Wilson, TEX
Lowe, Sea, ... Moylan, Atl ... Ryan Perry, Det
Feliciano, NYM ... Okajama, Bos ... Grabow, Cubs

2) Where would you say my weakest Skill position is. ? Where should I look to upgrade first.

3) Would you move a quality Starter for a major upgrade at a skill position ?

Duly noting that Average, SB, and Homers are not categories and Sacrifices are in the mix, so I guess i'm looking for players that have Runs, RBI's but are also on teams that play more small ball, where sacrifices come into play.

I'd appreciate any opinions that you may have.
Spimothy Leary
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Great Pitchers, horrible Skill Posit.. Where to start...

Postby Bucktail30 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am

I agree with that your offense is going to struggle. I wouldn't trade any pitching quite yet. I would look for another middle infielder to solidify the 2B/SS positions. I would definately start Swisher and Willingham in the OF. Cabrera and Byrd is a toss up in CF. I would probably look at getting rid of one of them in favor of a MI with some upside.
Holds are tricky. You almost do not have to draft for these because a lot of the guys with a ton of holds last year are closers now, won't get the same opportunities, etc. For now, I would pick up someone like Ziegler, Meyer, or Lowe, who are known 8th inning guys but I would constantly watch the hold category among the free agents and pick up the hot one. 'Holds' guys are dynamic and change month to month.
If your hitting is really struggling as the year start then move a pitcher for a slugging 3B. I say 3B because you will get more for less because of the depth at 3B, compared to SS/2B.
Good Luck.
Bucktail30
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Spimothy Leary » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Bucktail30 wrote:I agree with that your offense is going to struggle. I wouldn't trade any pitching quite yet. I would look for another middle infielder to solidify the 2B/SS positions. I would definately start Swisher and Willingham in the OF. Cabrera and Byrd is a toss up in CF. I would probably look at getting rid of one of them in favor of a MI with some upside.
Holds are tricky. You almost do not have to draft for these because a lot of the guys with a ton of holds last year are closers now, won't get the same opportunities, etc. For now, I would pick up someone like Ziegler, Meyer, or Lowe, who are known 8th inning guys but I would constantly watch the hold category among the free agents and pick up the hot one. 'Holds' guys are dynamic and change month to month.
If your hitting is really struggling as the year start then move a pitcher for a slugging 3B. I say 3B because you will get more for less because of the depth at 3B, compared to SS/2B.
Good Luck.

I appreciate the input.
After I reviewed the 18 rosters and my status (based on projections) my overall batting issue might be weak but not super weak. There are several rosters with only one closer ( I have 3) so i'm in a good trading position with excess starters (no holders) and 3 closers. I have made a couple of trade offers with no immediate response but its difficult sometimes during the beginning of pre-season to get somebody to make a move since we all feel like we have "time" to make adjustments. Injuries or status changes of somebody's closers may impact their need to make an immediate move. My hope is to try to combine a moderate starter (not my two studly stud studs) and a closer for another Stud SP, and use the empty roster slot to pick up the best possible "holder" available. I already made a pitch to the Broxton owner (his only closer) This morning I offered Fuentes and Heath bell for Broxton and Bard (boston's setup man I believe) and he has 2 days to consider. That would give me Papelbon and Broxton as closers (SOLID !) and also made offers to the owners of nearly all top 10 SP (Harden, Lee, Felix CC) owners where I offered Blackburn and their choice of Fuentes or Bell) for the SP and any player. with no response yet..
Time will tell. Again, trading on the first day of preseason is difficult since everyone thinks highly (in general) of their drafted team, usually you have to wait for a circumstance to arise to force them to make a move.
Spimothy Leary
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fast dogs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Batters
Runs Scored, Sac's, Errors, RBI, GWRBI
gotta be 1 of the oddest setups I've ever seen.So you want leadoff & #2 hitters to bunt them over; guys qualifing for the inf but playing OF so they don't make errors?
Holds count the same as saves, you don't want bad SP to beat you giving up ER. I'd grab a couple MR to win you holds and not take away from your aces
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby Spimothy Leary » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:58 am

Ya, its an odd format.
my OF is definitely considered weak,
was offered JD drew for Valbuena, I certainly think drew (if healthy) is an upgrade over nearly all my OF.
Drew in a weekly H2H in Boston's potent lineup could definitely be of assistance.
would you do that deal str8 up ?
Spimothy Leary
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team