Not liking options this year in early 2nd round... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not liking options this year in early 2nd round...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Not liking options this year in early 2nd round...

Postby einstein2u » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 pm

justin upton in the 2nd is my pick.
einstein2u
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:how many UTIL/DH spots does your league have?
i have no qualms about taking 2 of TEX/FIELDER/MCAB. in a 10 teamer there's a good chance you might get a shot at 2 of them. you could take kinsler, but chances are he'll go dan haren on you 2nd half and its very hard to trade him away for good value then.
if those three 1Bs are gone, i'd actually go for tulo since a good SS might not make back to you after 2nd round.

We have 1 utility spot. I totally agree on taking 2 of the 1B you mentioned, I just don't think that 2 of them will be available.

I appreciate all of the insight so far. I still can't bring myself to seriously consider Lincecum this early in the draft; seen too many teams get burned drafting pitchers early that subsequently get injured.

Seems to be a lot of Tulo recommendations...that might be the best way to go. I must admit that I did not follow him much last year; is he a fairly consistent player that would work well in a H2H format, or was he more streaky?
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am

Verminator wrote:
socceryank wrote:Is anyone else less than thrilled with the options in the early second round?

What do you mean by "options"?

Take the best available player in your opinion and you will be fine. After all, you have about a 30% chance your selection will bust anyway so make sure you don't pigeonhole your pick based on the ADP. If you have a strong feeling about a certain player, use that opportunity to grab him and gloat later in the year when the player significantly outperforms expectations. If you don't like Tulo, Wright, or other 12-18 ADP players, grab Votto if you feel he will be a stud!

When you have a pick in the early 2nd round, only 14 or so players have been drafted so you have a SH**LOAD of options!!!!

My thoughts were along the lines of choosing guys that would typically be considered "worthy" of such a high draft selection. I agree with your sentiment regarding taking whomever I felt strongly about, but not sure I want to reach for someone that early in the draft when I may be able to get them a round later. But I understand your point that it is more about drafting who I believe will perform better, not just based on their ADP.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:00 am

Verminator wrote:
socceryank wrote:Is anyone else less than thrilled with the options in the early second round?

Take the best available player in your opinion and you will be fine. After all, you have about a 30% chance your selection will bust anyway so make sure you don't pigeonhole your pick based on the ADP. If you have a strong feeling about a certain player, use that opportunity to grab him and gloat later in the year when the player significantly outperforms expectations. If you don't like Tulo, Wright, or other 12-18 ADP players, grab Votto if you feel he will be a stud!

When you have a pick in the early 2nd round, only 14 or so players have been drafted so you have a SH**LOAD of options!!!!

Sure but the 15th pick in the draft isn't much more valuable than the 30th pick in the draft imo. There is a huge dead zone in the 2nd round that makes late mid to late 1st round picks unattractive. I think the top 8 spots in the draft are so much better than the rest of the picks this year that is just ridiculous. I think the 1st pick is light years ahead of the 12th pick and the 13th pick is marginally better at best than the 24th pick.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 am

Ender wrote:
Verminator wrote:

Sure but the 15th pick in the draft isn't much more valuable than the 30th pick in the draft imo. There is a huge dead zone in the 2nd round that makes late mid to late 1st round picks unattractive. I think the top 8 spots in the draft are so much better than the rest of the picks this year that is just ridiculous. I think the 1st pick is light years ahead of the 12th pick and the 13th pick is marginally better at best than the 24th pick.

Well said...this was a much better way to phrase my original point. ;-D
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby socceryank » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 am

Verminator wrote:

Just out of curiosity, who would you be willing to reach for at the 12-14th pick range (who is on your radar to make a leap into the top 15 that isn't currently being projected as such)? Assume a 10 team league, so you would have already made a 1st round selection.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colt4523 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I had the 9 pick out of 12 teams and I went Howard then Tulo (16th pick). I passed over Holliday and Kinsler with my second pick. I just think SS is real shallow this year. Plus there should be some decent OF left for my next pick.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

socceryank wrote:Seems to be a lot of Tulo recommendations...that might be the best way to go. I must admit that I did not follow him much last year; is he a fairly consistent player that would work well in a H2H format, or was he more streaky?

He produced basically nothing in April and May last season, then exploded. Once he got going, not streaky at all. But he has a bit of a slow-start history (career .194 in April, 2 career HR in May, etc.), so you may benefit from some patience.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Depends upon the size of the league and positions and what not what not but if I was doing a 12 team league and had a late round pick I would be looking at either: Wright, Mauer, or Holliday for that pick just leaving the order depending upon how you feel about Wright.

Call me crazy but I just wouldn't be comfortable with either Tulo or Kinsler as my 2nd overall guy. They both have upside but carry too much risk for my tastes. However, 3B is thin this year. Mauer is the player who has the most separation in value versus players at his own position of anyone. And I think the traditional all around great outfielder is an incredibly scarce thing this year. There's lots of names but also plenty of question marks. If I could bank Holliday I would feel much more at ease for the rest of my draft.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Maris09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 pm

Ender wrote:Sure but the 15th pick in the draft isn't much more valuable than the 30th pick in the draft imo. There is a huge dead zone in the 2nd round that makes late mid to late 1st round picks unattractive. I think the top 8 spots in the draft are so much better than the rest of the picks this year that is just ridiculous. I think the 1st pick is light years ahead of the 12th pick and the 13th pick is marginally better at best than the 24th pick.

If you don't mind me asking, who are your top 8?

What players in the 2nd are you liking?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers