The Origins of Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Origins of Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Origins of Fantasy Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Your right Ive hijacked the thread and I apologize. Let me leave with this statement --played in same h2h league for 7yrs this will be our 8th . I have replaced one owner for inactivity one for incompetence. How many roto leagues can say that? Oh thats right you "like" deadbeats so you can win , I prefer real competition --and our winners get between 900 and 1200 dollars for winning depending on seeding.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Pochucker wrote:Your right Ive hijacked the thread and I apologize. Let me leave with this statement --played in same h2h league for 7yrs this will be our 8th . I have replaced one owner for inactivity one for incompetence. How many roto leagues can say that? Oh thats right you "like" deadbeats so you can win , I prefer real competition --and our winners get between 900 and 1200 dollars for winning depending on seeding.

That's good you have a core of guys to play with. In my roto keeper I've had to replace anywhere from 1-3 owners every year. However it is still very competitive every year.
We don't play for any money, strictly bragging rights among friends.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Pochucker wrote:Your right Ive hijacked the thread and I apologize. Let me leave with this statement --played in same h2h league for 7yrs this will be our 8th . I have replaced one owner for inactivity one for incompetence. How many roto leagues can say that? Oh thats right you "like" deadbeats so you can win , I prefer real competition --and our winners get between 900 and 1200 dollars for winning depending on seeding.

Do you also have an 18" arm of masculinity?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:19 am

Matthias wrote:

Do you also have an 18" arm of masculinity?

No, he actually has the 23" pythons. ;-7

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:22 am

Fantasyland by Sam Walker has a quick rundown on how fantasy baseball was born.
1960 in Detroit if I remember correctly.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:16 am

Every H2H league I've played in had anywhere between 3-6 guys giving up halfway through the year. See, that's the problem with sampling bias, you can't just use your own experience and universalize it. Of all the anti-roto arguments I've heard, this is the silliest.

It just comes down to personal preference. I like accuracy over excitement, and I believe that roto offers more excitement than H2H does accuracy.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby carter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:18 am

haha, yea i didnt mean for this to just be a H2H vs Roto thread, but its a fun argument..

heres a thread in another forum where they talk about the CompuServe leagues.. http://forums.mocksports.com/phpbb/view ... 0bca198161 was that the 1st online version of fantasy?
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 pm

carter wrote:this has been on my mind alot lately... I read somewhere that Fantasy Baseball started in the 70's ... Does anyone know what kind of line-ups and settings they used?

I recently joined a league that was started in 1971. The rules haven't changed much and the stats used are relatively simple b/c everything was self-reported weekly via box scores. It is now website-based at customstat.com. Its a dynasty league with one roster and anyone can be drafted or traded for player or future draft picks. It has MLB-style roster cut-down dates. Stats used are R, HR, RBI, BA, W, L and ERA. All stats are retro-active once the final lineups are set. Only one non-injury sub is allowed thereafter. There are weekly H2H prizes, but the bigger payouts are the points-based year-end prizes.

As far as finding a satisfying league, the settings are far less integral than the qualitative aspects of your league. I prefer roto for real-life proxy value, but there's plenty of arguemtn to be made on that topic. If you want a satisfying league I would focus on these things:

stable, committed membership
dynasty/keeper format
auction draft with little or no keepers
order-of-finish draft for dynasty or high-keeper
draft in-person / annual meeting
minimal rule changes
strong, specific league constitution
fungible draft assets
little-to-no trade barriers (deadlines excepted)
consistent finances
high threshold for rule changes
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I just read an article on ESPN the Mag about the Origins of Fantasy baseball, so if you can, you should take a look. It gives you the perspective of all the original members and how they came up with the idea.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

i play in a 12 team keeper roto league. We have had the same 12 owners for the past 7 years.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers