Thoughts on Justin Duchscherer coming off Injury?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Justin Duchscherer coming off Injury??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Justin Duchscherer coming off Injury??

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:20 pm

Hes coming off of an injury but posted a sick line in his most recent healthy season. Hes got the talent to post a sub 3.00 ERA and hes done it but he just cant seem to stay healthy. He doesnt post a sick k/9 (from what ive seen) but he does post a low WHIP, as well as a low ERA, leading to Wins of course. I just took him in the last round and figure it cant hurt to strash him and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, i drop him and move on, but do u think hes gonna comeback healthy? and if so, 'could' he post a great line in a full/healthy season? I dont readup too much on this guy so i dont know much about him, i guess my question is, does he really have the upside to put up a great line or am i wasting my time? Thanks for any advice and/or comments/opinions! ;-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Justin Duchscherer coming off Injury??

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm

He's 32 and he's thrown a total of 426 innings. You don't have anything invested but I highly doubt he'll pitch half a season as a starter. Why this guy doesn't move back the bullpen is interesting since the A's have what seems like two rotations of young pitchers ready to go.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Certainly not worth a pick until double digit rounds, personally wouldn't draft him until the mediocre closers are off the board, at that point all the starters are still question marks and the scrub closers have very little value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:47 am

1. He won't post a sub 3 ERA, when he did that in '08 he also had a .240 BABIP

2. He's only just had a nerve ablation procedure on his back (within the last week) to take pain away.

3. He's had mental issues over the last year, and they are impossible to predict healing time. He says he's OK, but says and is are two different things.

I don't believe he'll get to 100 innings this year. Vin Mazzaro will be next cab off the rank from the minors to take his place.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 am

Duchscherer thinks hell be ready for opening day but hes supposedly 2-3 weeks behind other Starting Pitchers. I would like to hold onto this guy but since he wont acquire a "DL" label atleast until the season starts, hes just clogging a roster spot while im in desperate need of closers. Is this guy even rosterable if your teams in need of "potential closers"? not even the real deal yet or is his upside to great to just dump for a closer candidate? sorry to hijack my own thread!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre

DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:59 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:Duchscherer thinks hell be ready for opening day but hes supposedly 2-3 weeks behind other Starting Pitchers. I would like to hold onto this guy but since he wont acquire a "DL" label atleast until the season starts, hes just clogging a roster spot while im in desperate need of closers. Is this guy even rosterable if your teams in need of "potential closers"? not even the real deal yet or is his upside to great to just dump for a closer candidate? sorry to hijack my own thread!

I think it depends on which tier of closers you'd be replacing him with.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 am

Havok1517 wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:Duchscherer thinks hell be ready for opening day but hes supposedly 2-3 weeks behind other Starting Pitchers. I would like to hold onto this guy but since he wont acquire a "DL" label atleast until the season starts, hes just clogging a roster spot while im in desperate need of closers. Is this guy even rosterable if your teams in need of "potential closers"? not even the real deal yet or is his upside to great to just dump for a closer candidate? sorry to hijack my own thread!

I think it depends on which tier of closers you'd be replacing him with.

well there is no tier of closer that id be replacing him with. id be replacing him with potential closers, like backups to volatile closers who could takeover the stopper role later in the year if/when that closer blows up n loses his job. needless to say, its almost a complete guess n prolly wouldnt justify the move but if someone turns out to be the ryan franklin of '10, i could really use that edge!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre