Yahoo league...changing roster requirements after the draft. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo league...changing roster requirements after the draft.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo league...changing roster requirements after the draft.

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Anyone know of a way to change either the roster requirements post-draft or the position eligibility of players in Yahoo Custom leagues? Ran into an unfortunate situation where one new owner tanked saves in an offline 5x5 keeper draft in a keeper league and we had always used 2 RP slots historically. Never had been a problem before as no one ever had bagged saves up front. The owner now has only 1 RP elig pitcher (a starter as well) on his roster and I can't switch the roster requirements after the draft was entered.

Thanks.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo league...changing roster requirements after the draft.

Postby BoBtheMule » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 am

I believe roster setup is locked after the draft... and why would you want to change it anyways?

If you need to change it b/c he's only got one RP and he needs to fill that second slot with an RP eligible player... tell him to cut someone and pick up an RP. BUT punting saves is a valid strategy and if your looking to change the rules on him after the draft... that's bush league.
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:58 am

Yeah just make him get his roster in order, even if its another SP with RP or some middle reliever. He has to fufill the roster requirements. No need to change things.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby RDD15 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 am

BoBtheMule wrote: BUT punting saves is a valid strategy and if your looking to change the rules on him after the draft... that's bush league.

Incredibly bush league. If this guy drafted with a strategy in mind that operates within your league's rules, he is fine. Just because you don't like his strategy does not make it an unacceptable strategy. If you had made the change in the offseason, fine. But changing settings after the draft would make you unfit for the role of Commish. I can't express how much I disagree with changing settings after the draft, especially when you are just looking to cut the legs out from under one specific team.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:42 pm

I am not changing the rules. An owner is allowed to field all Sps. However 2 must be RP eligible under the roster requirements and that was not explicitly stated in the offline draft rules (though it was on the league site but this owner is new to the league) so the owner basically only drafted one RP eligible starter instead of two not knowing the roster eligibility issue. I was willing to just change one of the RP roster spots to a P slot to alleviate the confusion and the issue for this year but it is too late for that as Yahoo will not let you change the roster requirements post draft as I noted. He is just going to have to drop his last\30th round pick and pick up another flier SP that is RP eligible. It is not a big deal but I was curious if someone knew a way to change the setup in Yahoo.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Aside from getting customer care involved, you cannot do so, for multiple reasons.

1) In most leagues, changing such things after the draft is likely to cause more drama than not.
2) If we let you change your rosters after the draft, you could conceivably do so in a way that would lead to illegal rosters and make a real mess. Suppose you drafted Prince Fielder. You put him in your 1b slot. Then your commish changes your league to have no 1b slot. Now you have a guy in a roster slot that doesn't even exist. For good measure, he could have also removed all Util slots, giving no legal slot for Fielder. You get the idea.

Changing positional eligibility for a player in private leagues (at least *adding* eligibility) is a potentially interesting idea, but not something you can currently do.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Gaze » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:00 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:I am not changing the rules. An owner is allowed to field all Sps. However 2 must be RP eligible under the roster requirements and that was not explicitly stated in the offline draft rules (though it was on the league site but this owner is new to the league) so the owner basically only drafted one RP eligible starter instead of two not knowing the roster eligibility issue. I was willing to just change one of the RP roster spots to a P slot to alleviate the confusion and the issue for this year but it is too late for that as Yahoo will not let you change the roster requirements post draft as I noted. He is just going to have to drop his last\30th round pick and pick up another flier SP that is RP eligible. It is not a big deal but I was curious if someone knew a way to change the setup in Yahoo.

Similar situation that my league dealt with last year... We draft offline and historically consider DH players to count as one of your outfielders but I set up the league with 3OFs and left no spot for players with only DH eligibility. I had to go back and delete the league to reset the settings to be 2 OFs and a Utility position, then re-invite and upload everyone's team from scratch. Yahoo Customer Care couldn't do anything for me.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner