Trying to find K/BF or K% (pitchers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trying to find K/BF or K% (pitchers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trying to find K/BF or K% (pitchers)

Postby West » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:30 pm

I am trying to find a site that has numbers for K per batters faced for pitchers (as opposed to K:BB or K/9). Yoda had a great link a few years ago about this subject.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=297185&hilit=strikeouts+batters+faced

I have been trying to come up with a way to categorically rank pitchers according to strikeout rates and a few other underlying statistics that may predict future success. However after searching fangraphs, baseball reference and a few others I have been unable to find the numbers for K/BF. I searched this site as well but couldn't really find anything. I know there is at least one or two more good fantasy baseball stat sites out there besides fangraphs, and I just can't remember the name for the life of me. Thanks -

West
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trying to find K/BF or K% (pitchers)

Postby kab21 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 am

www.firstinning.com has it but their site isn't nearly as sortable.

Otherwise you could export the fangraphs data to excel and do a simple equation on your spreadsheet.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks, that site was perfect for what I needed. I can do the rest of the players out by hand now. I'm also hoping Rich Lederer at "The Baseball Analysts" does another article similar to this one soon:

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/02/post_6.php

I feel it was very helpful last season.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JimmyBaseball » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm

West wrote:Thanks, that site was perfect for what I needed. I can do the rest of the players out by hand now. I'm also hoping Rich Lederer at "The Baseball Analysts" does another article similar to this one soon:

Wow, very odd you brought up that specific article... I've been waiting for another like it too. You probably did the same as me: I bookmarked that article and have been going back to try and get a new version.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 pm

JimmyBaseball wrote:
West wrote:Thanks, that site was perfect for what I needed. I can do the rest of the players out by hand now. I'm also hoping Rich Lederer at "The Baseball Analysts" does another article similar to this one soon:

Wow, very odd you brought up that specific article... I've been waiting for another like it too. You probably did the same as me: I bookmarked that article and have been going back to try and get a new version.

Yeah it's good stuff. If I come up with some good numbers along those lines I'll post them soon. I haven't collaborated my data yet but once again Ubaldo Jimenez and Felix are two of the better pitchers in that "northeast quadrant". There are a bunch more, and I'm thinking Brett Anderson won't be much of a sleeper by mid-March. I'm sure Lederer comes up with some pitcher analysis soon, it appears he's doing hitters right now.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 pm

It's also interesting after reading that article how successful Johan Santana is despite giving up alot of fly balls. I think it's mostly because he consistently leads the league in infield fly percentage and strikes out a ton of guys. Also having the best stuff in baseball helps.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrmarley » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm

I did the last 5 years for any SP over 100 IP in a given season trying to find any trends:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=399823

Use the sortable link in my OP to sort by Z-scores for any year from 2005-2009. You'll find the K/BF, BB/BF and GB% numbers for all years in the first tab on the spreadsheet next to each pitcher if you want to just take those numbers and use them to make quadrants like Rich did.

I also included the 5x5 end of season rankings and MDP rankings for SP's (when available)...I found it interesting sorting by a given year's Z-Scores in descending order, then seeing what happened to those SP ranks for MDP and 5x5 for the next season.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 pm

mrmarley wrote:I did the last 5 years for any SP over 100 IP in a given season trying to find any trends:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=399823

Use the sortable link in my OP to sort by Z-scores for any year from 2005-2009. You'll find the K/BF, BB/BF and GB% numbers for all years in the first tab on the spreadsheet next to each pitcher if you want to just take those numbers and use them to make quadrants like Rich did.

I also included the 5x5 end of season rankings and MDP rankings for SP's (when available)...I found it interesting sorting by a given year's Z-Scores in descending order, then seeing what happened to those SP ranks for MDP and 5x5 for the next season.

That spreadsheet is awwwesome.
Thanks for doing the work. When I get a free second I will check out the Baseball Analysts article, I'm not very familiar with Z-scores. But that is great.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers