Gibbons or Kearns? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gibbons or Kearns?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dude86 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:09 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:If Kearns plays 150+ games, he will easily outproduce Gibbons, but that's a big if. At the spot where I would be taking one of them in the draft (I'd likely already have 2 solid OF), I'd rather have Kearns.

You really think Kearns can do that much better then Gibbon's 20-100? Gibbons is a sure thing and Kearns is about as far from a sure thing as you can get thats all there is to it.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:36 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:If Kearns plays 150+ games, he will easily outproduce Gibbons, but that's a big if. At the spot where I would be taking one of them in the draft (I'd likely already have 2 solid OF), I'd rather have Kearns.

the same can go for Griffey, if he played 150+ games, then he could hit 30 hr or more... But if "If and buts were candy and nuts..." how does the rest go?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantFan666 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:32 am

I would take Kearns over Gibbons.. in fact already did! I think
kearns has a while to go in his career before he gets labeled an
injury risk.. if thats the case then any guy that makes a play at the plate is an injury risk.. Kearns was tearing the cover off the ball last season before he hurt his shoulder. And then like any young player
trying to keep his job in a crowded OF, he tried to play through
the injury.. I'm not saying take this guy in the 1st or 2nd round...
but his upside is just too high to pass up in the 10-12th round
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mighty Monks » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:48 am

I agree with Taking Kearns upside. Being safe has hardly ever won many fantasy leagues. Taking risks and being a litlte lucky having them pay off is what wins. Gibbons may keep you in the top half of a league, Kearns could be the type of guy who puts you over the top. If healthy, he could be .300-40-120. IF you are conservative, take gibbons and if you draft like that everywhere else, enjoy3-5 place. But if you are a little into taking chances and trying to win your league, take a flyer on kearns
Mighty Monks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:55 am

I say take them both! :-] But seriously, it really depends on your team. If your team is already solid, then you can afford to take the risk on Kearns. If your outfield is already beat up, you might want to take Gibbons.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

I like them both this year - but I would take Gibbons as a surer thing
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby LeftyQB » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:41 pm

I love how some guys make a determination based on one year. It sounds like the same talk I heard on the football forum about Shaun Alexander being "inconsistant". If Kearns stays healthy he will put up good numbers...and no one, not even the guru's here know what will happen. Gibbons could also be a stud. I like them both, but at this point I'd take Kearns.
LeftyQB
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:24 pm

I happen to like Kearns just a bit more. Gibbons is probably a safe bet for at least .275 25 HR, 90 RBI, but I see a healthy Kearns as having a real good shot at .300, 35 HR, 100 RBI. Now if Kearns gets hurt again this season, then I might be ready to throw him into the ranks of players like Griffey, JD Drew, Geoff Jenkins, etc, but not yet.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SoxFanPJ » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:22 pm

Thanks for all the imput guys, I went with Kearns. Might as well take the gamble.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers