Potential Closers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Potential Closers

Postby Cream » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 pm

So I'm in a league that just had a huge run on closers, and I'm not willing to pay for the scraps that are left over. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so who are the closers that people expect to be a bust, and who should those of us in this situation target as their replacement. I've looked through Havok's spreadsheet, but this may be a more concise post to select some of these closers.

I'll start the list by saying Matt Thorton is someone I'll be targeting. I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 444
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Closers

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 pm

viewtopic.php?t=399540 ;-D

Saito, Rodney, Perez, Madson, Sherrill, Motte, Betancourt, Bard, Frasor, Downs, Zumaya, Wilson, Devine and League are probably the most attractive names.
Image
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 2150
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Closers

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Cream wrote:So I'm in a league that just had a huge run on closers, and I'm not willing to pay for the scraps that are left over. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so who are the closers that people expect to be a bust, and who should those of us in this situation target as their replacement. I've looked through Havok's spreadsheet, but this may be a more concise post to select some of these closers.

I'll start the list by saying Matt Thorton is someone I'll be targeting. I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.

Not so sure about Chicago at the moment, but Gregerson in SD should be someone to target. There's been some talk that a few teams are interested in him, but if Bell gets traded then Gregerson could be in line to take over the closer's role. He's got a great K rate and obviously the save opportunities are there. I also like Thornton should Ozzie get tired of Jenks, though since he's a left, Putz could factor into a closer's role in Chicago as well.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Potential Closers

Postby Maris09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Cream wrote:I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.

Angel Guzman
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Closers

Postby smoovethug » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Juan Gutierrez is someone I'll be watching if everything doesn't go as expected with Qualls coming off the knee surgery.
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Re: Potential Closers

Postby Verminator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:47 am

Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 407
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Gurnee, Illinois

Re: Potential Closers

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Not so sure about Chicago at the moment, but Gregerson in SD should be someone to target. There's been some talk that a few teams are interested in him, but if Bell gets traded then Gregerson could be in line to take over the closer's role. He's got a great K rate and obviously the save opportunities are there. I also like Thornton should Ozzie get tired of Jenks, though since he's a left, Putz could factor into a closer's role in Chicago as well.


the problem with Gregerson is that Bell needs to traded AND Adams needs to be injured for him to be closer. There is a chance that both happen but I doubt it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5335
(Past Year: 167)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Closers

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 am

Verminator wrote:Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)


This minus Hawkins is exactly the same as my list. Those guys not only have a chance to become closers, but elite closers.
Image
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4014
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Potential Closers

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Verminator wrote:Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)


This minus Hawkins is exactly the same as my list. Those guys not only have a chance to become closers, but elite closers.

Forgot about League. Great call.
Image
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3403
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Potential Closers

Postby rotoquest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:49 am

I am keeping my eye on the Tampa Bay situation because the often injured Soriano may give way to Howell who could be a solid closer selection deep in drafts.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1649
(Past Year: 193)
Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joiingds, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact