Potential Closers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potential Closers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Potential Closers

Postby Cream » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 pm

So I'm in a league that just had a huge run on closers, and I'm not willing to pay for the scraps that are left over. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so who are the closers that people expect to be a bust, and who should those of us in this situation target as their replacement. I've looked through Havok's spreadsheet, but this may be a more concise post to select some of these closers.

I'll start the list by saying Matt Thorton is someone I'll be targeting. I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Potential Closers

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:01 pm

viewtopic.php?t=399540 ;-D

Saito, Rodney, Perez, Madson, Sherrill, Motte, Betancourt, Bard, Frasor, Downs, Zumaya, Wilson, Devine and League are probably the most attractive names.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Cream wrote:So I'm in a league that just had a huge run on closers, and I'm not willing to pay for the scraps that are left over. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position, so who are the closers that people expect to be a bust, and who should those of us in this situation target as their replacement. I've looked through Havok's spreadsheet, but this may be a more concise post to select some of these closers.

I'll start the list by saying Matt Thorton is someone I'll be targeting. I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.

Not so sure about Chicago at the moment, but Gregerson in SD should be someone to target. There's been some talk that a few teams are interested in him, but if Bell gets traded then Gregerson could be in line to take over the closer's role. He's got a great K rate and obviously the save opportunities are there. I also like Thornton should Ozzie get tired of Jenks, though since he's a left, Putz could factor into a closer's role in Chicago as well.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Maris09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Cream wrote:I also don't trust Marmol and am curious who people favor to replace him in the event it happens.

Angel Guzman
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby smoovethug » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Juan Gutierrez is someone I'll be watching if everything doesn't go as expected with Qualls coming off the knee surgery.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Verminator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:47 am

Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Not so sure about Chicago at the moment, but Gregerson in SD should be someone to target. There's been some talk that a few teams are interested in him, but if Bell gets traded then Gregerson could be in line to take over the closer's role. He's got a great K rate and obviously the save opportunities are there. I also like Thornton should Ozzie get tired of Jenks, though since he's a left, Putz could factor into a closer's role in Chicago as well.

the problem with Gregerson is that Bell needs to traded AND Adams needs to be injured for him to be closer. There is a chance that both happen but I doubt it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 am

Verminator wrote:Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)

This minus Hawkins is exactly the same as my list. Those guys not only have a chance to become closers, but elite closers.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Verminator wrote:Brandon League, Luke Gregerson, Ryan Madson, Chris Perez, and LaTroy Hawkins are on my radar! B-)

This minus Hawkins is exactly the same as my list. Those guys not only have a chance to become closers, but elite closers.

Forgot about League. Great call.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby rotoquest » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:49 am

I am keeping my eye on the Tampa Bay situation because the often injured Soriano may give way to Howell who could be a solid closer selection deep in drafts.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers