Youkilis
BJ Upton
Jayson Werth
Mauer
Adam Lind
Morales
Adam Jones
Figgins
Montero MigCab Beckham Andrus Sandoval Lind J Upton Ellsbury Braun Markakis Willingham B Roberts B Anderson Ubaldo "no hit" Jimenez Nolasco F Cordero Rodney Morales Baker Matusz Lilly Marcum Scherzer Romero Porcello
hscsoph
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who don't you trust?

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:11 am

Verminator wrote:I don't trust any hitter with a high strikeout rate, any pitcher with a high fly ball rate, any pitcher in a hitters ball park, any hitter in a pitchers ball park, any player who had an injury last year, any player who has any type of injury history in the past, any player who is overdue for an injury plagued year, any control pitcher who lacks dominance, any dominant pitcher that lacks control, any pitcher with a high workload, any hitter who is a free swinger, any player with an unexpected bump in performance, any player with an unexpected decline in performance, any hitter batting 6th or later in the order, any hitter with a poor supporting cast, any pitcher lacking offensive support, any pitcher who throws a high percentage of breaking balls, any player with a variance in home/road splits, righty/lefty splits, or day game/night game splits, any young player lacking experience, and any old player bound for a decline in performance.

So who's left??????

Dexter Fowler.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby West » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Alot of people have mentioned BJ Upton and Mark Reynolds. I think Reynolds' MDP is too high as well, as it shows him going towards the end of the second round. I wouldn't want his contact rate on my roster at the price of a second round pick. The MDP leads me to believe that even in a league where he is dropping to the late range of his MDP (late 3rd early 4th), he still wouldn't drop far enough for me to want to take a risk on him. I would rather take Adam Dunn in the late 5th- early 6th (MDP currently at 60) than Reynolds a few rounds earlier and I think most would agree.
Upton is similar (MDP 58). Why would you take him in the late 5th when Shane Victorino, a consistent player in a solid lineup who also runs, is available 2 or even 3 rounds later (MDP 83) ?

Add to that list:
Andre Ethier (terrible LHP splits)
Matt Cain - unusually low BABIP, HR/FB, unusually high LOB% makes that ERA unsustainable.
Michael Bourne - I can see him hitting .260 at best.

In terms of MDP alone, I don't like:
Jeter
Sizemore
Tulowitzki

I wouldn't put too much stock in Wright's offseason workout regimen. It's nice to see, but for big numbers he needs a lineup around him. I would expect 20-30 home runs as long as he stays healthy. I think 20 is definitely his floor as well. He still should go no later than the mid second round with his SB and avg potential.

West
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am

I also am concerned about Bourn's BA (and thus OBP).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Verminator wrote:I don't trust any hitter with a high strikeout rate, any pitcher with a high fly ball rate, any pitcher in a hitters ball park, any hitter in a pitchers ball park, any player who had an injury last year, any player who has any type of injury history in the past, any player who is overdue for an injury plagued year, any control pitcher who lacks dominance, any dominant pitcher that lacks control, any pitcher with a high workload, any hitter who is a free swinger, any player with an unexpected bump in performance, any player with an unexpected decline in performance, any hitter batting 6th or later in the order, any hitter with a poor supporting cast, any pitcher lacking offensive support, any pitcher who throws a high percentage of breaking balls, any player with a variance in home/road splits, righty/lefty splits, or day game/night game splits, any young player lacking experience, and any old player bound for a decline in performance.

So who's left??????

Dexter Fowler.

Oh, and CLINT YOUNG (all caps).

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:09 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

So who's left??????

Dexter Fowler.

Oh, and CLINT YOUNG (all caps).

and Hammerin Jason Heyward.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:32 am

kab21 wrote:I also am concerned about Bourn's BA (and thus OBP).

I expect him to lose 15-20 points of BA and OBP from his 2009 stats.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby kaiser » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 am

smoovethug wrote:and Hammerin Jason Heyward.

That's a good one. I'm a Braves fan, and as hopeful as I would like to be, I can't imagine that he could possibly live up to the heights that are being predicted for him.

It brings to mind a certain Sports Illustrated "Greatest Rookie Ever" coverboy from the Braves who is now playing right field for the Mets.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Verminator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't trust anyone EXCEPT Wandy Rodriguez when he is pitching at home! ;-D
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers