Who don't you trust? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who don't you trust?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who don't you trust?

Postby Saltydog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Drafting any of the following in the first 8 rounds (Top 100) would not provide me with much comfort:

Any closer.
Ben Zobrist
Mark Reynolds
Carlos Pena
Derek Jeter
Chone Figgins
Alex Rios

What players in the Top 100 do you not trust?
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who don't you trust?

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Saltydog wrote:Drafting any of the following in the first 8 rounds (Top 100) would not provide me with much comfort:

Any closer.
Ben Zobrist
Mark Reynolds
Carlos Pena
Derek Jeter
Chone Figgins
Alex Rios

What players in the Top 100 do you not trust?

Joe Mauer, Tulo, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, Justin Upton, Grady Sizemore, and Mark Reynolds
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jmohlengraft » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Josh Hamilton and anyone with an injury bug. (ie Harden, Sheets, Chipper...).

Oh and hitters with 150+ k's. I play poker and I avoid these players because they tend to cause lots of variance.
jmohlengraft
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

100% on any closer.
Rios is in the top 100?
I'm passing on lots of SB guys in the top 100 because I think steals can are cheap later so Roberts, Figgins and Rollins.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Closers too early are always a no-no but I cannot believe people are drafting Mauer in the 1st or even early 2nd! Im not sayin his power #s were a fluke but he has to put up 25+ HRs, 90+ RBIs, and bat .330+ to justify his 1st rd status. Youve got a guy like VMart batting .300, 20 HRs, and 100 RBIs, going late in round 3 so Mauers gotta blow those #s out to justify his slot. I also have a personal hatred on Cliff Lee. He was a career 4.50 ERA Starter until 2 seasons ago where he added a pitch and 'figured it out'. I just dont buy him being a perrenial Ace, plus his move to the NL late last season boosted his overall value. I think i have more of a hatred against Lee than actual proof/stats to back it up but im personally NOT buying into his ADP of 61. Hes going above high upside, young K monsters like Cain, Hanson, Beckett, Gallardo, Peavy, Kershaw, etc.... NO THANKS! Shin- Soo Choo is a 20-20 guy going way too early... ill wait 11 rounds and take Corey Hart, thanks! or to a less degree, wait 3-4 rds and nab Nate McLouth.

Im gonna disagree with the guy who identified Ben Zobrist as NOT a top 100 guy. First off, I dont think lastyrs numbers were a complete fluke and he has a chance to repeat/out-produce lastyrs overall numbers, health pending. It also depends on where he bats in TBs lineup. If hes 5th or so, hes good for 20 HRs and 90 RBIs, with a .280 Avg, 80 Rs, and 10+ SBs to boot. If hes earlier in the lineup, hell easily crack 100 Rs with 15+ SBs, 15+ HRs and 75+ RBIs with a .290 Avg. Hes eligible at 2nd Base, SS, and OF.... that alone warrants a high draft slot bc those are some sick positions to be eligible at!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Personally, I've found it difficult to pull the trigger on drafting David Wright in two drafts. If it's all a matter of him changing his mechanics again, then I trust '09 was an anomaly. There's a sneaky aura of Jeff Francoeur circa 2008 in that David Wright's guns thread.

I'm not a fan of Chris Carpenter and would rather have Cliff Lee, Josh Johnson, Hamels, Gallardo, or Jimenez than him at his MDP.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Maris09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:25 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:There's a sneaky aura of Jeff Francoeur circa 2008 in that David Wright's guns thread.

Tough to link those. Francoeur was never really all that good outside of the year he was called up. Wright's been a perennial 1st rounder, I think 2nd round is too good to pass up on him.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Hamilton for sure. Not touching him at all.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby LMack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:44 pm

The Communists!

Err, Mauer, Aaron Hill, Victor Martinez, Chris Carpenter.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm

[quote="The Artful Dodger"]Personally, I've found it difficult to pull the trigger on drafting David Wright in two drafts. If it's all a matter of him changing his mechanics again, then I trust '09 was an anomaly. There's a sneaky aura of Jeff Francoeur circa 2008 in that David Wright's guns thread.
[quote]

I agree with the poster above, Frenchy was never a superstar, he was just a free swinger with some talent. Wright is an absolute superstar who had 1 bad season and it was an anomally. I dont have Wright on any teams yet but as a baseball fan, im POSITIVE he will bounceback to atleast 20+ HR, if not continue to progress and hit 30+. Obviously, youre gonna view me as a 'homer' which i can understand but Wright is a standup ball player, he trains extra extra hard and really devotes himself to the game. Hes not a lazy shit like Andruw Jones, whos fallen off the map due to his laziness. Wright works too hard and hes too talented to not bounceback this season! BOOK IT!!! ;-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel