# of moves when cutting teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

# of moves when cutting teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

# of moves when cutting teams

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

Hey guys,

We are going to be cutting our league down from 12 to 10 teams this year. We've used a max of 80 moves in the past. Obviously, we would want to cut that down for 10 teams. The question would be if there is a rhyme or reason to the number of moves allowed? Is there some kind of formula or guidelines for such a thing.

I don't even know where 80 came from, it was probably the default setting or something? I was thinking of cutting it to 60 moves. Does this seem reasonable?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
10 team H2H Yahoo League. Two divisions, 1 win.
HR, AVG, RBI, SB, OBP, K, TB
IP, W, S, WHIP, ERA, K, HLD
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: # of moves when cutting teams

Postby Chaos151p » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am

I like to think of it as moves per week, so if you had 80 for 26 weeks that's about 3 acquisitions per - 2 would be more challenging in my opinion, maybe 50 or 60. One year we had 30 - that really keeps guys from streaming at the end of the season.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobs_auto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, in the past it was a 25 week season, so that is 3.2 moves per week.

This year we are even cutting it to 24 weeks, so cutting it to 60 would be 2.5 moves. 50 moves would be about 2 moves per week.

Hmmm.......
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Just going by ratios it would be right around 65..if you went down to 60 wouldnt be the end of the world either
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby bobs_auto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 am

I made the initial proposal of the moves cut and was met with opposition.

The main argument was that now that there will be more quality people on the waiver wire, I am lessening the chance to use them by cutting moves. That I am penalizing people that are more active in the add/drop / trade arena.

My thinking is that it doesn't allow people to basically stream their whole team every week which I don't think makes it fun. Some people can't get on every single morning and participate. It shouldn't just be a race to the computer.
bobs_auto Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chaos151p » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Exactly, some guys have more access then others - if you sit behind a computer all day, you'll be first in line for any player. If you had only 2 pickups per week that would make owners think twice, especially when it came to streaming. I love the FAAB process, it allows every owner the same chance at any player - I had one for football last year run twice weekly (thurs/sat) and now for baseball I'm going with three times instead of daily (tues/thrus/sat) - twice might work better but I want to try it for baseball and see how it works. The great thing about fantasy leagues is there around every year and you can always tweak the settings. Now if the other owners really want "unlimited" pickups, make them a $1 each - at the end of the season the guys who picked up 50 or 60 will put that right in the prize pool.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

As some of the others said, two per week is a good rule of thumb. There was a guy in my league that wanted unlimited transactions, talk about streaming.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Return to Commissioner's Corner