Formerly sexy players, now unsexy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Formerly sexy players, now unsexy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Formerly sexy players, now unsexy

Postby jmohlengraft » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Some players lull us to sleep with their consistent performance and can be gotten cheaply. I traded for both Teixeira (prior to joining the Yanks) and Brandon Phillips. Tex became sexy again when he was signed by NYY. Hallady was like that 3-4 years ago. Anyone else recognize the phenomenon? Who else is now unsexy?

Note: I'm not saying this actually affects their ADP but maybe trade value. Also guys that have never had breakout popularity don't count, they're just undervalued (ie Ted Lily).

Oswalt maybe, he had a 3.XX ERA until he blew up in the last 2-3 games last year. No reason he shouldn't have a 3.XX ERA.
jmohlengraft
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Formerly sexy players, now unsexy

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Derrek Lee seems pretty unsexy...going in the 6th or 7th of a 12-teamer.

Adam LaRoche is pretty unsexy, but should put up solid stats if you play with a CI position. He's not as valuable in a shallow league.

Damon, Pierre, Burnett, Ludwick, Billingsley, Vlad...these guys tend to fall a bit.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jmohlengraft » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Expanding on my original thought, it's usually players who people feel like they have found their ceiling and there's no more upside to hope for. Like for B-Phillips, he's a 20/20 guy and because he'll never go 30/30, people now value him as if he's a 15/15 guy.
jmohlengraft
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby B-Chad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:58 pm

This was my first thought when thinking of unsexy players :-b

On a serious note, the premise for this thread is solid, and here is my thinking. Usually the guys who go from sexy to unsexy seem to be veterans over 30 (i.e. Paul Konerko) who put up a couple less than stellar seasons and are expected to fall off a cliff (which does happen to a significant number of power hitters).

A guy like David Ortiz could be a new trend of sexy to unsexy type, a guy who had a lousy season (albeit one he pulled out of total shambles by smacking a ton of 2nd half HR's and driving in oodles of RBI's) and is suspected by some to have been a former PED user. Take a look at comments in blogs, and if I remember correctly even comments in threads on here, people were attributing his awful start to last year to him no longer "juicing."

The third type of sexy to unsexy type, and a type I love to take end game flyers on, are post hype blue chip prospects. A guy like Delmon Young 3 years ago was being described as a future fantasy stud, keeper gold, etc. While he isn't a perfect example because he still posts an awful BB rate and has some other statistical concerns, he is being completely ignored which to me is a mistake given his "tools," and his uptick in ISO and HR/FB. If it were to "click," with him by chance, he has the raw tools to be a very useful fantasy player. Brandon Wood, Homer Bailey, Joba Chamberlain/Phil Hughes, Cameron Maybin, Alex Gordon, etc are all guys who come to mind that were even as recently as last year considered keeper stars who happen to be getting slept on in a big way this season. In the cases of Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain part of that is the uncertainty of their roles this year, that said, they are both going quite late for guys with nice k rates and some serious upside.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Texans13 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Carlos Lee. You can pencil in 280 25 homers and 90 rbi every season.

Too a lesser extent I would say Andy Pettite in 12 team or deeper leagues. Nothing crazy about him but he's nice to have if you have a shaky rotation.
Texans13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Verminator » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Adam LaRoche and Paul Konerko may have never been super sexy.... but they are totally Liza Minilli now!! :-B
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Nick Markakis is the poster boy for this IMO. Seemed like after '07 everyone was pumping him up to be some 25/25+ caliber player and then became disappointed when the combo potential wasn't cashed in on. Sure he's still a solid player and one everyone would be glad to have on their team, but he's not sexy by any means.

Alex Rios is another, although I'm not sure why he's so undervalued these days when he still has a shot of being a 20/20 player, especially in a hitter's park.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Really? You aren't sure why Alex Rios is undervalued?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HighHeater » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Alphonso Soriano should headliner this.... dropping off the face of the earth

Corey Hart was a steal two seasons ago.... now hes lucky to get 15/15 let alone 20/20, still very much young but doubting he ever taps his potential
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Really? You aren't sure why Alex Rios is undervalued?

This.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers