2 random thoughts about types of leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

2 random thoughts about types of leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 random thoughts about types of leagues

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 am

So I was looking in the classified section for another league to join, and 2 things stood out to me.

1. How many regular drafts there are as opposed to auctions.

Personnally I would never play in a serpentine draft league, it takes all of the fun out of it. My only guess is the people in these leagues have never played in an acution. I'm sure that once they have they would never go back to a straight draft.

2. Way more keepers than redrafts.

I guess keepers are a little more realistic, but is there anything worse than competing with someone for 1st place and then he trades 3 minor leagers for C. Utley to a guy who is continually in last place every year anyway.

Maybe a small amount of keepers, like 5 guys could be fun. But these dynasty leagues, I just can't get in to.

Just my opinions, to each his own. Don't need to offend anyone, just what I noticed.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2 random thoughts about types of leagues

Postby StoneMoses » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm

I guess keepers are a little more realistic, but is there anything worse than competing with someone for 1st place and then he trades 3 minor leagers for C. Utley to a guy who is continually in last place every year anyway.

....this is something that happens in our league quite a bit!
An owner in the lower half, desperate for improvement, will be talked into trading his best player for two or three marginal players or prospects, and all he's doing is making the talent gap even wider.
It's basic math...2 or 3 x 0 still equals 0!
One owner is constantly trying to get Joey Votto from me by offering 2 or 3 players along with an explanation of why I should make the trade. He will never offer "one" player of equal value.
The players he offers are almost always available on waivers a couple days after I reject the trade. It gets tiresome.
StoneMoses
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:31 am

dmattingly23 wrote:So I was looking in the classified section for another league to join, and 2 things stood out to me.

Maybe a small amount of keepers, like 5 guys could be fun. But these dynasty leagues, I just can't get in to.

Just my opinions, to each his own. Don't need to offend anyone, just what I noticed.

I run two leagues, one Auction Keeper and one Draft non-keeper. I do agree that the Auction is more fun. Since most of the same guys are in both, this just makes for a nice alternative. One other thing I have noticed in trying to find a league to join this spring is that 95% of the leagues are mixed. I prefer NL only and they are just very hard to find. I have been looking for several days for a NL Auction league and so far I have only bad luck finding one. I have to agree with you that most guys on these message boards have never played in a Auction League and do not know what they are missing.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:50 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:So I was looking in the classified section for another league to join, and 2 things stood out to me.

Personally I would never play in a serpentine draft league, it takes all of the fun out of it. My only guess is the people in these leagues have never played in an auction. I'm sure that once they have they would never go back to a straight draft.

Eh.. draft leagues are just as engaging as auction league, especially for the semi-casual players.

As to dynasty leagues, I guess it all depends on who is in the league. My 20 teamer (keeping 20 and 8) and 12 teamer (22 and 10) are both dynasty leagues, and I can't count one time that a team dumped a stud for three bench players.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gaze » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:18 pm

My league is going on our 15th season (last 5 with me as commish) and have only had 3 repeat champs. We go with a very abreviated 13 player lineup and redraft every year with a 5x5 Roto style. It's simple,keeps everyone coming back from year to year, and leaves enough players in the free agent pool to allow for mid season comebacks. We utilize our own point system base on The Sporting News Magazine's dollar values. Personally, I find it to be the best way to keep guys interested from year to year.
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner