Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues?

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Hell, you could draft all arms for your first 8 picks and control all of the pitching stats, then just buy whatever speed is left to fill out your offense. I think it would be easier to draft Lincecum-Halladay-Greinke & 5 closers in a row that would dominate week in and out, than it would be to draft enough bats to dominate plus 5 closers.

edit: WR close your eyes, 'cause I think I'm going to try this in the h2hws. :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1390)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dmattingly23 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:PLAY ROTO

;-D
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby biesbol » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:50 am

I've had 2 H2H leagues for the past 5 years; one does the "win per category", the other is a "one win overall". I've been in my H2H auction "one win overall" league for 16 years. personally, I find the One Win league to be more dramatic and reflective of baseball. people are correct when they say that this format doesn't incentivize a balanced team. This is true. But just like real baseball, you can build your team around a philosophy. some teams load up on power, others on speed, some focus on their bullpens or starting pitching. with 12-16 teams in the league, you can have a variety of strategies competing against each other and all be competitive. in a basic roto league, if you don't build from balance, you can't compete. While you occasionally get the matchups where a hitting team plays a pitching team and they have punted each other's strengths. but this generally means that each team must steal ONE category from the other team's strength to get the win. You also get the matchups where each team is built on power pitching or power hitting and they just blow each other out of the water for the week. Just like real baseball this system allows teams to develop an identity since there is only one win to compete for. It also makes trades more interesting, since each team values different skill sets. Last year we had a Figgins for Howard trade that caused a lot of excitement, but worked out to benefit both teams. You would never see a trade like this in straight roto. my 2 cents.
biesbol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 am

ayebatter wrote:Hell, you could draft all arms for your first 8 picks and control all of the pitching stats, then just buy whatever speed is left to fill out your offense. I think it would be easier to draft Lincecum-Halladay-Greinke & 5 closers in a row that would dominate week in and out, than it would be to draft enough bats to dominate plus 5 closers.

edit: WR close your eyes, 'cause I think I'm going to try this in the h2hws. :-D

I read about a guy that's done this every year, and he's had a good amount of success with it if I remember right. Strategies like these that actually work are why I prefer roto.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I have always played in a one win league from beginning days til now.... I played in a few leagues with points and win per category. I hated the one win per category. Win is a win. A blowout should not count for more. In a few roto leagues, there are some teams that tend to lose interest after ASB especially when they are in the cellar.

In my primary league of 14 teams made up guys I started playing tee ball and little league with, we actually play H2H one win and roto at the same time. Cash is split and we have two winners- H2H Champion and Roto Champion. We all strive to win both... If you are bottom team in roto, you can still squeak wins out to qualify for playoffs and then get a hot streak to win. A few times our 8th seed has been in the finals. I love that all stay in the game all year. Interestingly, on just three occasions in almost ten years has the roto team also won the H2H.

If I had to pick, I'd go H2H with the one win per week.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby oscar15 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Seanyfever wrote:I have always played in a one win league from beginning days til now.... I played in a few leagues with points and win per category. I hated the one win per category. Win is a win. A blowout should not count for more. In a few roto leagues, there are some teams that tend to lose interest after ASB especially when they are in the cellar.

In my primary league of 14 teams made up guys I started playing tee ball and little league with, we actually play H2H one win and roto at the same time. Cash is split and we have two winners- H2H Champion and Roto Champion. We all strive to win both... If you are bottom team in roto, you can still squeak wins out to qualify for playoffs and then get a hot streak to win. A few times our 8th seed has been in the finals. I love that all stay in the game all year. Interestingly, on just three occasions in almost ten years has the roto team also won the H2H.

If I had to pick, I'd go H2H with the one win per week.

Seanyfever - We talked about splitting our winnings between H2H winner and roto winner. What site do you play on? Do they track both Roto and H2H?

We currently play on Yahoo.

Thanks
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 am

dmattingly23 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:PLAY ROTO

;-D

Or don't play 5 x 5. Lots of the criticism in this thread is because of the nature of that rather than overall wins versus category wins.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers