Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues?

Postby Yankeesin05 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Instead of getting a win for HRs, SBs, ERA, etc., you only get a one win at the end of the week if you win the most categories. So instead of the final score at the end of the week being 7-5 or something, it would be 1-0. One of my leagues is trying to implement it for this year and I don't like it. I've been playing fantasy baseball for a couple years now and I've always just played you get a win for every category you win and it's always worked great. Just wanted to get some thoughts from the cafe.
Yankeesin05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on "H2H - One Win" leagues?

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Honestly, my first thought is that it makes sense. Turn the season into 26 "games" and have at it. Doesn't matter how you score your points, it only matters that you win. I don't think it would make that big of a difference in the end, just because the season is so long your close losses and big wins are going to even out.

You've still got all the same H2H problems as before, so you're not fixing anything there... you're just simplifying the standings a bit.

By going weekly H2H you're already losing that "extra credit" you'd get from a big statistical week, so the only thing you're doing here is ranking teams by "wins" instead of "goal differential". At the end of the season the teams with the highest goal-differentials are usually at the top in wins anyway, right?

Am I missing an obvious negative here?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby da bears » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm

I think this adds a lot more luck to it. Generally if you have a solid team you don't lose big all that often but tend to have a larger margin of victory so you would still end up near the top of the standings if this is the case. If you go by this system then technically you could be .500 but have a .650 type team in a standard head to head league. I personally don't like it and prefer the larger swings that a standard head to head league gives you.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 pm

da bears wrote:I think this adds a lot more luck to it. Generally if you have a solid team you don't lose big all that often but tend to have a larger margin of victory so you would still end up near the top of the standings if this is the case. If you go by this system then technically you could be .500 but have a .650 type team in a standard head to head league. I personally don't like it and prefer the larger swings that a standard head to head league gives you.

I actually think it takes luck away.
For example if you play a team that's decimated by injuries, you still only get the one point, not a huge 11-1 win or something.

Let's say Team A plays a certain team when they're really beat up, and Team B plays that same team a little later when they are full strength. One team is able to get fat off that hurt team by taking a huge 11-1 victory. To me that's a higher level of general luck and random chance.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Weekly wins is vastly superior to category wins. It adds MUCH more strategy as you need to calculate your chances during the week of making up just enough ground to get the win. Also, it is way more exciting as the pressure increases toward the end of the week and you try to scramble to catch up (or stay ahead) of your opponent. The alternative just isn't as exciting - you move along, adjusting your team throughout the year hoping to go 7-5 or 8-4 to get a small boost in the standings, but if you lose 4-8 its not a big deal. Of course, it should go without saying that this is only true if you have daily lineup adjustments.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

The concept is interesting, how are ties disputed in season standings?

To me, if they don't add up your points like they do in football to break ties in the standings then this league setting is silly. Then it takes a good amount of luck to win each week imo.

Good teams are victimized in football if they run up against the best team of the week, it happens, I had the most points in my league this past year and missed the playoffs because of this. I can see a similar scenario happening using this one win setting, I don't think this highlights the best teams whereas using points you can tally up a win and loss total and it truly separates teams in the standings and kinda shows which teams have the best balance.

If I joined this type of league I would either load up on hitting and saves or pitching and steals to try and win 5-6 categories a week for the win. Wouldn't take a strong team to do this.

Another problem with this league setting is if a team falls behind 0-5 from the start that is a lot of ground to make up in the next 20-21 weeks. Teams will definitely be more prone to quitting if they quickly fall out of contention. At least in a league where it tallies up category wins you can be in last through half the season and after 3 or so 9-1 or 8-2 type wins you have made up a good amount of ground in the playoff push.

I'm personally not a fan of this setting but I guess I'd have to give it a try for a half season or so to see how it works.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

I'd want to know the league cats and rules before making too much of a judgement on this. If it's a typical 5x5 league, I'd worry that too many teams would try and punt categories. Why make a balanced team when I only need to win 6 categories each week? Draft a ton of hitting, punt closers, and get a bunch of medium tier starters to run out there each week.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 pm

Just don't have mweir in your leagues and you'll save a lot of stress. :-°

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:57 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I'd want to know the league cats and rules before making too much of a judgement on this. If it's a typical 5x5 league, I'd worry that too many teams would try and punt categories. Why make a balanced team when I only need to win 6 categories each week? Draft a ton of hitting, punt closers, and get a bunch of medium tier starters to run out there each week.

No dude it's not even that. Draft a ton of hitting, five closers, and save your last 5 or 6 rounds for crap tier filler SPs on good teams.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby B-Chad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:33 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:I'd want to know the league cats and rules before making too much of a judgement on this. If it's a typical 5x5 league, I'd worry that too many teams would try and punt categories. Why make a balanced team when I only need to win 6 categories each week? Draft a ton of hitting, punt closers, and get a bunch of medium tier starters to run out there each week.

No dude it's not even that. Draft a ton of hitting, five closers, and save your last 5 or 6 rounds for crap tier filler SPs on good teams.

Kind of my thinking... but honestly, if it's a 5x5 league... why wouldn't a team draft 5 top notch closers, and all hitters? Leave the other pitching spots open so not to blow up the ratios. Win saves, and have a great shot at winning ratios with elite relievers and then pound the other team into the ground in hitting categories. That leaves you with 3 pitching wins (likely anyways) and with a team of all hitting no pitching a likely lock at winning at least 3 of 5 hitting cats. This does not sound like a league format I'd have any interest in playing in.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers