FAAB Processing Need Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FAAB Processing Need Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FAAB Processing Need Help

Postby HustlinOwl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Could use your guys input on this one. For my leagues FAAB it is setup for players that are free agents that may be picked up. We are using Yahoo, but for some reason yahoo decided to use FAAB for waiver claims?

In my league we are allowed to get guys off waivers, but we use are salary cap money for waiver claims, trades, and minor league call-ups. So we allotted and additional $40 to the salary $320 for auction and now $360 for in season cap.

Our current process for free agents is for teams to email me (commish) their free agent bids, but again this can create some confusion and work when I have the same bid on a player and have to inform other team that we have put up a bid on the same player. No this is where it could get ugly with some owners, another team and I both put bids on Volquez $5 me and $1 other team. I let the other owner know that I was bidding $5 for Volquez and that he would lose out. Well owner suggests he will pay $6 for him and insist I will pay $6. As you see this could go back and forth, or a simple ploy to get owners to run up prices.

ESPN runs their FAAB ideal for me, but owners are entrenched at yahoo and we are to far along to move. Could the cafe please help me! Thanks
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FAAB Processing Need Help

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:06 pm

HustlinOwl wrote:Could use your guys input on this one. For my leagues FAAB it is setup for players that are free agents that may be picked up. We are using Yahoo, but for some reason yahoo decided to use FAAB for waiver claims?

In my league we are allowed to get guys off waivers, but we use are salary cap money for waiver claims, trades, and minor league call-ups. So we allotted and additional $40 to the salary $320 for auction and now $360 for in season cap.

Our current process for free agents is for teams to email me (commish) their free agent bids, but again this can create some confusion and work when I have the same bid on a player and have to inform other team that we have put up a bid on the same player. No this is where it could get ugly with some owners, another team and I both put bids on Volquez $5 me and $1 other team. I let the other owner know that I was bidding $5 for Volquez and that he would lose out. Well owner suggests he will pay $6 for him and insist I will pay $6. As you see this could go back and forth, or a simple ploy to get owners to run up prices.

ESPN runs their FAAB ideal for me, but owners are entrenched at yahoo and we are to far along to move. Could the cafe please help me! Thanks

FAAB yes, is only for waiver claims and rightfully so. Gives everyone a fair shot at acquiring a player who hits the waiver wire as opposed to free agency. Just like in real life, free agency is first come first serve and bidding is not necessary because those players can be added to your team immediately and not have to clear waivers. I like how Yahoo has it set up personally.

Is the salary money something you manage outside of the league on your own? That seems like it is a pain, especially if teams are sending you bids for waiver players when it is much easier to use the allotted 100 budget for FAAB Yahoo gives you and owners bid from there. It seems unfair that you are able to see the bids on players because then you can outbid each person by a dollar each time. Usually teams enter their bid online and tiebreaker goes to the team with the best waiver #.

I guess I'm wondering how you work the salary, normally you would have 260 for the draft and 100 for FAAB, I wasn't aware and don't believe Yahoo allows for salary leagues and if this is something you have to manually do is it really worth it? Sounds like a hassle.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HustlinOwl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 pm

I disagree ESPN has it set up personally and reasoning its called Free Agent Bidding.

Right now we are using Yahoo's FAAB for waivers, but players on waivers must be claimed at their auction price. Example I have Joba Chamberlain and want to add Harang. I must cut Joba in order to make room on roster for Harang. Joba went for $4 dollars, so his starting bid will be $4 on yahoo, but I must inform all managers of his starting bid. Once he clears waivers, then he is a free agent where true FAAB comes into play and teams can claim him for as low as $1.

I am keeping all salary information offline and have setup numerous spreadsheets for managers to keep track of their funds if they choose to, I really dont have a problem with tracking everything. I hear you when you say it is unfair that I see all of their bids, but wish Yahoo made FAAB similar to ESPN or at least give us an option. Currently you can select no waiver, but have FAAB on and not utilize it.
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

In my Auction Keeper League, we have the FAAB. It is used on every player pickup. This way a true salary is determined for the player because he has to go through bidding before he becomes part of a team. He can be kept for next sping because a true salary has been established. The only players that may be picked up on a claim are DL replacements.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, some of what you are describing seems like it just isn't what we do. But to clarify a few things:

- As commish, you can set and adjust the FAAB balance for each team individually. So if you wanted to start teams off with a different budget based on your auction results/balances, you could do so.

- Our FAAB process does only apply to waiver claims. If you want to somehow bid on free agents, that is something we don't support.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby HustlinOwl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Well, some of what you are describing seems like it just isn't what we do. But to clarify a few things:

- As commish, you can set and adjust the FAAB balance for each team individually. So if you wanted to start teams off with a different budget based on your auction results/balances, you could do so.

- Our FAAB process does only apply to waiver claims. If you want to somehow bid on free agents, that is something we don't support.

Thanks for the clarification and hopefully this is something you look at next season
HustlinOwl
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner