Redraft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Redraft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Redraft Strategy

Postby The Mighty Trow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm

This will be my first redraft and I’m looking for pointers on how to develop my prerankings. Traditional pre-rankings kinda go out the door after keepers are announced. The whole dynamic changes so I’ll have to restructure my cheat sheets. I’d appreciate your input.

Some questions that kind of bug me: Reaching for keepers is okay, but how far is too far? How do you approach players who provide steady production but aren’t keeper material? Do you move them in your rankings at all? How do you adjust for positional scarcity? For instance I know I’m not keeping any SP but others will. Does this mean the remaining SP will be even more valuable, ie should I reach for them earlier then I normally would?

Or is it a better idea to not change anything and let value picks will fall through the cracks because everyone else is worrying about positioanl scarcity/keepers/etc ?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Redraft Strategy

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 pm

The Mighty Trow wrote:This will be my first redraft and I’m looking for pointers on how to develop my prerankings. Traditional pre-rankings kinda go out the door after keepers are announced. The whole dynamic changes so I’ll have to restructure my cheat sheets. I’d appreciate your input.

Some questions that kind of bug me: Reaching for keepers is okay, but how far is too far? How do you approach players who provide steady production but aren’t keeper material? Do you move them in your rankings at all? How do you adjust for positional scarcity? For instance I know I’m not keeping any SP but others will. Does this mean the remaining SP will be even more valuable, ie should I reach for them earlier then I normally would?

Or is it a better idea to not change anything and let value picks will fall through the cracks because everyone else is worrying about positioanl scarcity/keepers/etc ?

I'm confused... you call this redraft, but you are describing a keeper format (redraft means no keepers). Do you mean to say that this is your first time doing a keeper league and you are trying to adjust your rankings accordingly? I generally will not put too much weight into the keepers, preferring to play to win now - but you are right that values will present themselves because other people will reach for keepers. Also, it is tough to answer without knowing your keeper format - some leagues allow many keepers to be kept indefinitely, some use contracts, some you get penalized with draft picks to keep players, etc.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

LoL shows you how much i know. I thought re-draft meant drafting around keepers. :-/

Maybe I should put that L back up next to my name.

But thank you, you interpreted what I was really after. this is my first time in a keeper league and i'm looking for some best practices for adjusting my rankings accordingly. ;-D

I didn't want to get into the specifics of my league because a) they're kind of unique to my own circle of friends (I wouldn't bore anyone with the details) and b) I thought there would be value in a general discussion
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm

I mostly draft a keeper just like a redraft, only using age/potential as a "tie-breaker" for a group of guys that I value to be about the same.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:55 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I mostly draft a keeper just like a redraft, only using age/potential as a "tie-breaker" for a group of guys that I value to be about the same.

Yeah - same here. I tweak things just a bit in terms of my personal ranks, but I'd rather let others go crazy overvaluing future potential and cleaning up all the value.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers