Postby theplayer11 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm

very close..both good OBP..I would go with Werth as Bay goes to a bigger park
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jayson Werth or Jason Bay

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I have Bay just a tiny bit ahead of Werth and it is mostly because he'll bat in the middle of the order and Werth will probably end up hitting 5th or 6th. I don't think it is a slam dunk or anything though. Werth is in a better park and has a better lineup around him, Bay probably has a little more upside.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pochucker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Ill take Werth. I see similiar stats with few more Hrs and Runs and lot more SB for Werth. Bays 65% contact rate 2nd half of last year sends shivers down my spine. He still had 32% hit rate but those flyballs off the Monster are outs in citifield.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Verminator » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:27 pm

I have both players in a keeper league and I would favor Bay for his consistency (with the exception of 2007). Plus, the Citi woes are completely overblown so I think that Bay still has a great chance at a 30 HR, 15 SB season. Werth has been injury prone for the majority of his career which helps explains why he is a late bloomer.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Ender wrote:I have Bay just a tiny bit ahead of Werth and it is mostly because he'll bat in the middle of the order and Werth will probably end up hitting 5th or 6th. I don't think it is a slam dunk or anything though. Werth is in a better park and has a better lineup around him, Bay probably has a little more upside.

I think Bay hitting 4 or 5 is just as debatable as Werth hitting 5 or 6, he's not locked in at 4 yet.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Verminator wrote:I have both players in a keeper league and I would favor Bay for his consistency (with the exception of 2007). Plus, the Citi woes are completely overblown so I think that Bay still has a great chance at a 30 HR, 15 SB season. Werth has been injury prone for the majority of his career which helps explains why he is a late bloomer.

FWIW, the perceived injury proneness of Werth was derived from a wrist injury (a HBP) that didn't quite recover as expected (back in his Dodger days). In Philly, he platooned with Geoff Jenkins for a while, but prorate 2008 on split time and you basically had the kind of season Werth enjoyed in '09. Other than that, I think Werth is a good bet for 30/20 and a .270 average.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
Ender wrote:I have Bay just a tiny bit ahead of Werth and it is mostly because he'll bat in the middle of the order and Werth will probably end up hitting 5th or 6th. I don't think it is a slam dunk or anything though. Werth is in a better park and has a better lineup around him, Bay probably has a little more upside.

I think Bay hitting 4 or 5 is just as debatable as Werth hitting 5 or 6, he's not locked in at 4 yet.

I'd be absolutely shocked at this point if Bay doesn't start the season hitting 4th for the Mets. Reyes, Scrub, Wright, Bay. When Beltran comes back there is an off chance he hits 4th with Bay hitting 5th but I bet they slot him in at #2 instead. I would imagine Francoer bats behind Bay.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 am

Verminator wrote:I have both players in a keeper league and I would favor Bay for his consistency (with the exception of 2007). Plus, the Citi woes are completely overblown so I think that Bay still has a great chance at a 30 HR, 15 SB season. Werth has been injury prone for the majority of his career which helps explains why he is a late bloomer.

Citi did have a 94 run index, ranking 24th.

I prefer Werth myself

Bay is projected 4th, Werth 5th. But Philly will score 120 more runs easy.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 am

HOOTIE wrote:

Citi did have a 94 run index, ranking 24th.

Yes, let's use one yr park factor samples. Jason Bay will hit 40+ HR's because Citi Field had a HR park factor of 106. ;-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers