MY FIRST AUCTION > Helton & Delgado..Ooops! > Can I recover? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

MY FIRST AUCTION > Helton & Delgado..Ooops! > Can I recover?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MY FIRST AUCTION > Helton & Delgado..Ooops! > Can I recover?

Postby boston matt » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:30 pm

$15 Remaining

C-
1B- Todd Helton - $42
2B-
SS- Orlando Cabrera - $20
3B- Eric Chavez - $24
OF- Brian Giles - $27
OF- Chipper Jones - $16
OF- Jay Gibbons - $10
UT- Carlos Delgado - $33
SP- Curt Schilling - $30
SP- Derek Lowe - $9
RP-
RP-
P- Esteban Loaiza - $14
P-Livan Hernandez - $12
P-
BENCH: Dave Roberts - $8
BENCH:
BENCH:
BENCH:
BENCH:
BENCH:

Hey guys... As you can see above I got caught bidding up delgado but I'm not soooo sure that's a bad thing as that clearly gives me: 1) Trade bait and 2) The strongest Util guy in the league ;-D

I realize I spent most of my money already but I'm not THAT concerned...it's a 12-team mixed and WW pickups only count as $1 toward salary with no in-season cap.

Also, the average OF I'll be able to grab off the wire or in the last $1 rounds should be worth a good 10-15 bucks giving me some decent value there. I decided to go with a modified studs and duds, going with a few studs (helton/schilling/delgado)...a lot of mid-high range guys (cabrera/chipper/chavez/giles)...and then some solid talent guys.

I'm not at all worried about the lack of closers...I'm not throwing the category but I plan on loading up on 2-3 guys who should get the job in the late $1 rounds....plus this category is so erratic that I figure I could work the wire midseason and finish in the middle of the pack.

I feel like I'm FINE with steals having roberts/cabrerra/etc....HR/R/RBI are helped tremendously by helton/giles/delgado/etc....my team average is projected to be right around .300...a VERY healthy number.

My pitching is going to be interesting. I think Schilling should post some solid numbers in fenway and is confirming my opinions with very good success with a new fifth pitch (change) in spring traning. He, along with Loaiza (who I think will only dip 5-10% off last year) should help me nicely in the K's....Lowe will be used liberally at home and in non-turf road starts (16W 3.86era on grass vs 1W 9.70era on turf last year....11W 3.21era at home). I'm also pretty high in livan hernandez who should come close to matching last years numbers (perhaps a slight dip in Wins.

I realize I need to target a solid 5th and 6th starter during the last couple of rounds and during the season....as well as trying to grab 2-3 decent 20-30 save guys who won't destroy my ERA/WHIP. I'm also targeting a Jerry Harriston Jr-type 2B who will get me 20-25 SBs and won't kill my AVG.

IF I get into trouble I will likely move Delgado for what is needed (ace SP, or something of the like)...depends on how things go....

What is everyone's opinion of my strategy and how it's played out....this is a NON KEEPER league FYI.....
[/color][/b
boston matt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby boston matt » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:28 am

no opinions?
[/color][/b
boston matt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedsRebirth » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:14 am

Well, obviously bullpen is still needed, but you know that already. Nothing wrong with having a big bat at utility, might want to keep Delgado. Other than Roberts, I dont see alot of speed. Good luck!
RedsRebirth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Entropy! » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:37 am

You know where you stand with Delgado - nice problem to have, basically.

Two things jump out at me:

Livan Hernandez at $12? I think you'll be lucky if he gives you any better than breaking even on that investment. I think that arm is likely to give out sometime soon.

Chipper Jones at $16? My bet is that you got yourself a bargain on your hands. My guess is that he's back to a $20+ OF this year.

For cheap 2B options, you might want to look at Jerry Harriston Jr. If he's healthy this year, he'll be a nice return on what should be a $1 purchase.

Grab a closer, or else get some trade bait that you can use. For C, look at Wilson, Barrett, Phillips.
Entropy!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Entropy! » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:40 am

*lol* I just re-read the rest of your original post... guess we're thinking the same things about Harriston Jr. ;-D
Entropy!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby boston matt » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:36 am

Entropy! wrote:*lol* I just re-read the rest of your original post... guess we're thinking the same things about Harriston Jr. ;-D

Ended up with Adam Kennedy at 2B...helps with speed...

Also, regarding speed, between roberts, cabrera, kennedy, and chavez I should rack up around 100SB...I figure that should be good for some decent points there...no?

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Any extra is MUCH appreciated
[/color][/b
boston matt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team