Raw stats downloads - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Raw stats downloads

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Raw stats downloads

Postby Tief » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi. I'm brand new here. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source of daily raw basball stats that can be downloaded or received by email.

I've noticed that this topic has been touched on before so I'm hoping someone can help. I had been purchasing daily stats downloads from STATS LLC for the past couple of years. Before that I used TQ Stats until they stopped offering them. Anyway, I've been told by STATS that they are no longer offering the stats downloads this year either. Their story is that "they have evolved to the point where they no longer offer products directly to the consumer."

I load these stats into a database and use them for scoring in my league. Our league uses entirely unique rules so there are no online services that we can transition to. At a minimum, I need daily year-to-date stats for all batter and pitchers. Ideally I'd like files that only contain the stats from the previous day. Any format would do - csv, txt, Excel, whatever. My league will be in it's 24th year this season. I started out back in the day manually entering stats out of newspaper box scores. I really don't want to go back anywhere near to that.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Tief
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Raw stats downloads

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 am

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/09team.htm You can d/l in Excel, this is how our league stats were obtained for many years.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby Tief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for the reply bigmck.

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for. From STATS, I was able to download files of the form:

Lname,Fname,Tm,Pos,ID#,G,AB,R,H,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,CS,BB,K,E,TB,HBP,IW,SH,SF,GDP,C,1B,2B,3B,SS,LF,CF,RF,DH
Abreu,Bobby,LAA,RF,5698,1,5,0,2,1,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0
Amezaga,Alfredo,Fla,CF,6892,1,2,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0
Anderson,Brian,ChW,CF,7489,1,3,1,2,0,0,0,2,0,0,1,0,0,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0
Anderson,Josh,Det,LF,8105,1,4,1,1,0,1,0,2,1,0,0,0,0,3,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0

These files contained the stats only for a single day. The player ID numbers were a big deal too as I could use those in other areas of my database. If anyone knows of a source of raw data like this, it would be great to hear from you.

Scott
Tief
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:46 pm

What kind of stats does your league use for its scoring?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

We use a simple points system based on per-game boxscore stats. The hitch however is that we only use Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday games. You submit a lineup twice a week - one for Tue-Wed and another for Fri-Sat - and then there's a head-to-head W-L system. I know that sounds weird, but it makes for some interesting decision making such as following batter-pitcher matchups. We're at 24 years and counting so it's obviously working. Anyway, that's why I need the daily stats files.
Tief
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:14 pm

That is a very unusual scoring method. You are going to have a hard time getting the stats it appears.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:29 pm

I know it's unusual, but after doing it this way for as long as we have, I wouldn't be in any other type of league. It's a blast.
Tief
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner