Read this and voice your opinion!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Read this and voice your opinion!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Read this and voice your opinion!!

Postby hammertime9999 » Tue May 21, 2002 2:06 pm

Who are the best middle relief pitchers in the league?

I've been thinking about dropping some of my not so great starting pitchers like Todd Ritchie, Chen Ho Park, even El Duque if his injuries woes keep up and replacing them with some good middle relievers.

I read once that this can be a good way to solidify your pitching staff. They provide low era, low whip, and a lot less walks.

Who do you feel are the best middle relievers in the league right now? I think Scott Sullivan from Cincy is a lock, Auther Rhodes was great for me last year, but I don't think he is worth so much this year, Mike Stanton seems to be good too. Does anyone know about Steve Reed from SD? He has really good numbers so far.

There are good middle relievers all over our waiver wires. Who else do you guys suggest that I may consider and is this a good strategy ;-D or :-t ?

P.S. That last sentence was plural meaning more people than just Argo are welcome to reply.

Brett
hammertime9999
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hammertime9999 » Tue May 21, 2002 2:08 pm

oops--that's Arlo -- not Argo

Sorry about that buddy....please don't give me bad advice in return.

Brett
hammertime9999
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Tue May 21, 2002 3:18 pm

Don't worry - I already gave out my share of not-so-hot advice earlier today by undervaluing Halladay (my assessment was a bit out of date)...

Anyway, I like the tactic of using middle relievers. Inning by inning, they're the best value in roto aside from closers and guys with names like Pedro or Randy. If your primary starters are solid and you have the roster space, using a middle reliever or two is certainly worth considering. Daily lineup changes raise their value, by the way, as does a tight innings cap. With no innings pitched limit, on the other hand, spot starters might bring better dividends.

Sullivan is solid - I wouldn't be too concerned about his era, which should drop again. Rhodes and Stanton are excellent as well, as are guys like Scott Williamson, Mike Remlinger or Steve Karsay. Reed's been great so far, but will probably come down to earth fairly soon. Gabe White is hot and should keep playing at a high level. The usual suspect for best middle reliever on the other hand, Felix Rodriguez, hasn't looked sharp - I'd steer clear of him for now. Paul Shuey and Scott Strickland also look good so far.

There are so many good guys out there, in fact, that if enough of them are unclaimed in your league, you can pick and choose based on strength of schedule. If the Yankees host Tampa Bay and Baltimore in a given week, pick up Stanton and/or Karsay. When the Mariners come to town, you could drop them for relievers with easier opponents. If you're the only one in your league using middle relievers, it's almost as if you have them all on your bench...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2002 6:19 pm

Thats some smart thinking there Arlo. I didn't think about rotating middle relievers based upon strength of schedule. Sounds like a little more work, but anything for that extra edge. I may try a few spot starts too since our league has no inning cap.

Brett

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue May 21, 2002 6:27 pm

With no innings cap (and unlimited pickups and drops), the league's your oyster! :-D

Yeah, it's a bit more work, but if you pick your spot starters right and have good middle relievers, you can rack up some very impressive stats. Good luck experimenting!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers