Sabermetrics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sabermetrics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sabermetrics

Postby Sultan of Swing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 am

Does anybody here use sabermetrics when analyzing players? I use them pretty heavily when judging players and I wonder if other people use them too, and if so, which ones they like looking at?

Personally, for a young player, looking at their outside swing percentages (0-Swing%) and inside swing percentages (Z-Swing%) along with contact rate (Contact%) gives a good indication of a real step forward in plate discipline and hitting skills. Along with that isolated power (ISO) is great at looking at power outputs and judging progress or fluke seasons. Batting average on balls in play (BABIP) is also good for looking at lucky / unlucky players. As far as pitching, fielding independent pitching (FIP) shows the actual performance of a pitcher.

I guess I'm just curious, but I wonder if i'm the only person here who looks at these things, or if sabermetrics have truly gone "mainstream."
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
Sultan of Swing
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sabermetrics

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:30 pm

They are pretty prominent around here. I dare say the majority of users on here use them at least to some degree and many could make your head spin with numbers (well, they make my head spin at least.)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Pochucker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Please dont take offense but if you have spent any time here you would not be asking that question. This site and its members have a great reputation for being "savvy". Im close to 60 and have been using sabremetrics for at least 5yrs and probably more. Im no expert but im like most others you find systems or certain metrics that you depend on.
My question to you is if you are a fantasybaseball disciple --where have you been?
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Sultan of Swing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 pm

As you can see from my info, I've only posted a dozen or so posts, so I am pretty new around here. I joined a few years ago looking for a league on the board, but never stuck around past then. Just trying to gauge the crowd around here, as I haven't seen anyone pull out any sabermetrics yet, just the "this guy is better than that guy because he hit 5 more HRs" stuff.

And yes, I'm pretty confident in my fantasy baseball knowledge, been spending most of my time on fangraphs, mlbtraderumors, and fantasypros911. I guess around here though, if you don't have 10,000 posts to your credit, your a newbie.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
Sultan of Swing
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pochucker » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:07 pm

No thats not true - I have less than 500 posts in 6yrs and have almost always been treated with respect. Of course there are always
few who know it all but this is the internet.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby garf112 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:55 pm

stick around and you'll see plenty of threads mentioning different stats. I'm looking forward to see how the new stat SIERA works as a predictor for this year.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm

I don't deal with this newfangled sabermatrix jibber-jabber. I've always said that the best way to measure a pitcher's skill is wins, and what do you know, the Cy Young voters always prove me right! ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers