3%
Seattle
7%
CWS
16%

Total votes : 58

Re: Best Pitching Staff 2010

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Vazquez is the definition of boom or bust this season. I don't really think there's any way to accurately estimate what he'll provide this year.

You can say the same thing about Burnett.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 pm

poisonsag wrote:From the looks of the pol land replies, Red Sox seems the most favorite, followed by Yankees and giants. Although i am so surprised to see no one voted or commented on how great Dodgers did last year and can repeat it this year again.

Last Year Dodgers stats - 3rd highest in W, Tied for least hits with giants, 2nd highest SO, Lowest ERA in Majors.

Below is my predictions for popular teams, i have a category on left and on right i have the first, second and third best teams in that category respectively.

Wins - Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies

Best ERA - Dodgers, Giants, Braves/St. Louis

Most S.O - Giants (by miles), Cubs/dodgers, Redsox/Yankees

I picked the White Sox.

As for the Dodgers, besides Billingsley and Kershaw, they really have nothing inspiring. Kuroda, Padilla and McDonald dont scare many bats.

My Sleeper staff is Texas- Harden-Hunter-Feldman-Mccarthy-Holland, with Feliz mixed in somewhere, and a very solid pen that added Ray and Oliver to the mix with francisco-Wilson and Feliz
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Vazquez is the definition of boom or bust this season. I don't really think there's any way to accurately estimate what he'll provide this year.

You can say the same thing about Burnett.

Perhaps, but his numbers have been pretty consistent since he moved to the AL East. K per inning, higher walk ratio, ERA somewhere around 4.

Vazquez just randomly had the best season of his career but has never done jack in the AL. Going to the new Yankee Stadium won't help either, but it's hard to ignore the possibilities given his K/BB numbers.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:55 pm

thedude wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
I'd say your looking at 4.5+ for the last two spots with Dice-K, Buchholz and Wake combined

Buchholz i expect to have an ERA around 4.00. He has great stuff and really seemed to be putting it together in the second half of August and into September.

Matsuzaka might struggle this year or he might have a sub 3 ERA, it is hard to predict at this point. Probably somewhere between his 2007 rookie year and his 2008 sophomore year (assuming he is healthy) with an ERA of around 4.3 to 4.5. I really do not see both having an ERA over 4.5, though it is entirely possible one does.

The 4.5+ ERA is a more a reflection on Wakefield's ability and how many IP I expect Buchholz and Matsuzaka to throw. Matsuzaka threw 167.2 IP in 2008 and 59.1 in 2009. Now he is complaining about back problems before the year even starts. Buchholz threw a career high 191 inning between AAA and the majors last year but I don't expect him to top 180 if he spends the whole year in the majors.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:14 pm

How does IP correlate to ERA?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:How does IP correlate to ERA?

The number if innings you pitch is directly proportional to how your ERA affects the whole team's ERA.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:How does IP correlate to ERA?

Seriously? 8-o
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

What you mean "Seriously 8-o ?"

Regardless of how many Innings Matsuzaka pitches, I still think Matsuzaka will pitch them to a low 4 ERA, rather than 4.5+ I don't think Matsuzaka is going to be a high 4 ERA pitcher because he can only log ~150 innings... I don't understand why you are basing your ERA predictions between Clay/Dice K due to workload.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:05 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:What you mean "Seriously 8-o ?"

Regardless of how many Innings Matsuzaka pitches, I still think Matsuzaka will pitch them to a low 4 ERA, rather than 4.5+ I don't think Matsuzaka is going to be a high 4 ERA pitcher because he can only log ~150 innings... I don't understand why you are basing your ERA predictions between Clay/Dice K due to workload.

I think what pogo is saying is that he has a hunch that both players might not be totally healthy, and if that is the case, the higher their workload this season, the more likely said injury could affect their overall numbers.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:15 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:What you mean "Seriously 8-o ?"

OK, say Matsuzaka throws 100 innings with 4.25 ERA. Now Wakefield or some other below average pitcher is going to have to make up the difference in IP. I don't expect either Buchholz or Matsuzka to make 30 starts. That is how I figure the 4.5+ ERA for the last two rotation spots for the Red Sox.

Every team is going to have around 1458 IP a year. I feel pretty comfortable saying Sabathia, Lester, Vazquez, Beckett, Burnett and Pettitte will throw around 200 IP. I don't have that same confidence in Joba or Hughes but together I think they fill the 5th spot very well. Buchholz and Matsuzaka are both suspect IMO to pitch a full workload for a SP and the backup for both looks like Wakefield to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers