Holds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Holds?

Postby saemick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:37 am

What are your thoughts on Holds as a stat category? My league is thinking about adding it and I'm kind of on the fence.

anyone who's had holds before have any input?
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Holds?

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:39 am

One argument against it is that it deflates the value of SPs because they now only account for 4 of 6 cats (assuming just an addition to a 5x5). But as a whole Holds are harder to predict. You will always get guys coming out of nowhere grabbing 20+ holds. It seems you could use your last picks to fill holds and do fine if you follow the wire to catch anyone else. I don't mind it but i'd rather play without them.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 am

One cat I'd like to try is Holds+Saves, it devalues closers, and puts more value on good relievers who get holds or saves, but doesn't hurt starters as much.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm

I like it cause it gives more value to RP's who aren't closers. If most leagues they are fairly useless, but when accounting for holds they can be pretty useful. Also makes it easier to grab a set-up man for a closer whose job isn't that secure. You can get holds in the mean time, and possibly saves further down the road. Dominating set up guys deserve a spot in fantasy leagues IMO, this is a way to make it happen and to try and further make fantasy similar to real baseball.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I think it is one of the worst stats you can add to a league. It devalues most pitchers and is unpredictable. I'd much prefer changing the SV stat to be SV+Holds in order to make non closers more valuable. If you are going to add holds to pitching you should definitely avoid adding stats like OBP or OPS to hitting, this just slides value way too far on the side of power hitters. I'd add something like K as a negative or maybe 2B to the hitting side.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mblax10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 pm

hybrid wrote:Also makes it easier to grab a set-up man for a closer whose job isn't that secure.

Also makes it tougher to pick up guys who become closers in season because they are already owned.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 pm

mblax10 wrote:Also makes it tougher to pick up guys who become closers in season because they are already owned.

I don't view that as a bad thing, being quick to pick up a new closer has more to do with who can get online faster not strategy.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

hybrid wrote:
mblax10 wrote:Also makes it tougher to pick up guys who become closers in season because they are already owned.

I don't view that as a bad thing, being quick to pick up a new closer has more to do with who can get online faster not strategy.

Getting online quicker is definitely a strategy, no? Everyone has those Iphones, or internet on their phones now-adays, even RSS Feeds come in the form of texts, definitely a great a strategy.... I swear I have been in meetings with big clients where I have made pickups, and pretended as I was taking notes! Oh no!
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:online quicker is definitely a strategy, no? Everyone has those Iphones, or internet on their phones now-adays, even RSS Feeds come in the form of texts, definitely a great a strategy.... I swear I have been in meetings with big clients where I have made pickups, and pretended as I was taking notes! Oh no!

Getting online quick isn't a strategy in the slightest, it's nothing but a convenience. Also no not everyone has an iphone or internet on their phone, a lot do but I know quite a few that don't.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigken117 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

hybrid wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:online quicker is definitely a strategy, no? Everyone has those Iphones, or internet on their phones now-adays, even RSS Feeds come in the form of texts, definitely a great a strategy.... I swear I have been in meetings with big clients where I have made pickups, and pretended as I was taking notes! Oh no!

Getting online quick isn't a strategy in the slightest, it's nothing but a convenience. Also no not everyone has an iphone or internet on their phone, a lot do but I know quite a few that don't.

Yeah being the first guy online when you have a desk job and your buddy works out in construction doesn't make you a better strategist. Owning a set-up guy because the closer ahead of him is shaky or on the trade block is the more savvy move than choosing your career around computer access.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers