Michael Taylor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Michael Taylor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Michael Taylor

Postby warner892001 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

What do you think is he capable of doing when he is eventually called up? What can you tell me about him? when do you see him getting called up?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Michael Taylor

Postby hybrid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

He could likely use a few more months in AAA to start the season, but he should be ready shortly after that. He has a pretty good approach at the plate, more of a level swing than a swing for the fences guy so should hit for good avg., and has plenty of pop in his bat. Basically he is a really well rounded player that could throw in 10-15sb if the A's let him run.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm

He's a top 25 prospect, but I always worry a bit about guys whose strongest tool is his arm. He's got a good judgment for the strikezone, so that bodes well for him in MLB, but he doesn't really project for any power. He's a well rounded player, .280-.290 avg, 20 sb, less than 10 hr. That's end of the draft talent in a mixed league.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:49 pm

Steve-o wrote:He's a top 25 prospect, but I always worry a bit about guys whose strongest tool is his arm. He's got a good judgment for the strikezone, so that bodes well for him in MLB, but he doesn't really project for any power. He's a well rounded player, .280-.290 avg, 20 sb, less than 10 hr. That's end of the draft talent in a mixed league.

You must be thinking of someone entirely different, cause 10 hr's for Taylor is well only correct if your planning on half a season.

High A - ISO SLG .231
AA - ISO SLG .236
AAA - ISO SLG .209
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Yeah, I often get Dominic Brown and Michael Taylor confused. Taylor has more power, Brown has better speed. Both are good prospects, but better real life prospects than fantasy prospects.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 am

Steve-o wrote:Yeah, I often get Dominic Brown and Michael Taylor confused. Taylor has more power, Brown has better speed. Both are good prospects, but better real life prospects than fantasy prospects.

This isn't even true of Dominic Brown though. Brown hit 14 in 103 games split between A/AA as a 21 yr old. and is projected to add a fair amount of power in the future.

I think Taylor's power is limited (19HR's in '08 and 20 in '09) and won't play in a good hitters park. But if he goes .300+, 20+, 20+ with 180-200 R+RBI's he'll be very nice to have on a fantasy team.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 am

And I really don't see either of those guys having 20+ homerun power, especially Brown. I think both are max 15-20 guys. I guess they could be Victorino or Choo type guys, which are certainly useful players (and much better than the end of the draft guys I referred to above). They are just guys who don't have star potential in my mind. Much better real prospects than fantasy prospects.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:21 pm

It's a bit silly to not think Taylor will hit 20+ hr's, however I can understand why you would think that for Brown. His overall swing doesn't generate that much loft, 15-20hr is a safe estimate for him. Back to Taylor though, he hit for more power than Smoak, Wallace, and basically identical ISO OPS to C. Santana & C. Carter. Basically the only comparable power hitter to show more raw game power was Pedro Alvarez. Yes he will hit in more of a pitchers park, but it's really not that bad for HR's.
Last edited by hybrid on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 pm

TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)