Help me with a Minor League Keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Help me with a Minor League Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me with a Minor League Keeper

Postby AzzurriDawg4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:26 pm

My league has minor league keepers - you get one player and you have the rights to keep him his entire career if you want. If you take a guy and he is a bust, you can re-enter the minor league draft each offseason and pick a new player. Obviously, once you land a stud, you don't participate in the Minor League Draft anymore (each team can only have one keeper at any given time). For the record, my current keeper is Colby Rasmus, and although I think he will be a solid player, I am really looking to strike gold here.

One catch: The player can't have any MLB experience.

Fantasy Points H2H league, pretty standard scoring.

Now to the question. Looks like I will have the 3rd pick, and I am assuming that Heyward and Strasburg will come off before me.

Who do I go for?

Mike Stanton (might be a year away, but I can stand to wait if he truly is going to be a star)
Pedro Alvarez
Desmond Jennings
Justin Smoak
Any other suggestions?
AzzurriDawg4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with a Minor League Keeper

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Jennings or Stanton would rate more highly than Rasmus at this point for me, both in terms of ceiling and chances of achieving it.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby AzzurriDawg4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 pm

Let me also add that I have Miguel Cabrera and Matt Kemp as my MLB keepers.

It is a tricky situation, because if I don't take a player like Stanton, and he makes a brief appearance at the end of the year, I won't be able to draft him next year. I screwed myself Upton's rookie year thinking he would stay down all season. I am wary of D. Jennings because these "toolsy" outfielders always seem to be slow out of the gates. See Rasmus, Maybin, et al. McCutchen is an exception I can think of. I really want a Ryan Braun type power bat, which is why I am looking at Alvarez, Stanton, maybe Montero, very hard.

That said, it is likely that I will be one of only two people participating in the Minor League Draft next year - so I could try to pick someone a little closer to a 2010 roster spot than Stanton and hope Stanton will be available next year.
AzzurriDawg4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AzzurriDawg4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm

thomasps3 wrote:Jennings or Stanton would rate more highly than Rasmus at this point for me, both in terms of ceiling and chances of achieving it.

I agree - I feel good about dropping Rasmus for either of those guys. Just trying to make the right choice.

Jennings looks to have a little clearer path to the majors, but I like Stanton's power potential and the fact that he is a real student of the game.

I loved Alvarez out of college (I am and SEC guy, Mississippi State grad), but I really thought he would have taken a bigger step forward last year and that gives me a little pause.
AzzurriDawg4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jeffmerk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 pm

I wouldn't give up on Rasmus just yet. The hitters that make a big splash immediately, like Braun, are few and far between.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Yeah, but he can't keep Rasmus as a minor, so there is really no point in keeping him as one of his few MLB guys. He's looking for a superstar, so I would look to high risk guys, even if they have a less than 50% chance of breaking out. I don't like Stanton's K rate in the high minors. Guys with those kind of k/bb ratios don't usually explode onto the major league scene. I'd prefer Logan Morrison or even a high ceiling SP like Martin Perez, who is perhaps the best lefty prospect in all of MiLB.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Minor League & College Baseball