Wang to Nationals - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wang to Nationals

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wang to Nationals

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 pm

NEW YORK -- Pitcher Chien-Ming Wang and the Washington Nationals have reached an agreement on a one-year contract, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Wang's deal is worth $2 million and includes the chance to earn $3 million in performance bonuses, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4918836
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wang to Nationals

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Obviously a good signing, have to like high upside starters signed for peanuts.

I doubt it pans out though.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Obviously a good signing, have to like high upside starters signed for peanuts.

Why do you doubt it?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Obviously a good signing, have to like high upside starters signed for peanuts.

Why do you doubt it?

Since WW2 pitchers who have had Wang's obscenely low strike out rates have tended not to have prolonged success. Np matter how much a ground ball pitcher they were, it doesn't happen.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm

Would have loved to see him sign with the Mets for this. I feel like I keep saying this...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Would have loved to see him sign with the Mets for this. I feel like I keep saying this...

You'll get 'em next time slugger ;-7

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=399951
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Sultan of Swing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Its a good signing for the nats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they should be able to keep him next year under abitration next year if he works out for them.

As far as fantasy baseball goes though, i dont really see much if any value for him next year. Without the wins, he has little value, and having an extremem ground ball pitcher with Adam Dunn pretending to be a first basemen won't help him. Outside of the deepest of NL only leagues, you can ignore him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
Sultan of Swing
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Sultan of Swing wrote:Its a good signing for the nats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they should be able to keep him next year under abitration next year if he works out for them.

As far as fantasy baseball goes though, i dont really see much if any value for him next year. Without the wins, he has little value, and having an extremem ground ball pitcher with Adam Dunn pretending to be a first basemen won't help him. Outside of the deepest of NL only leagues, you can ignore him.

Yes, he'll have one more year of arbitration after this season.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:42 pm

thedude wrote:Since WW2 pitchers who have had Wang's obscenely low strike out rates have tended not to have prolonged success. Np matter how much a ground ball pitcher they were, it doesn't happen.

He will be thirty next year. I agree Sinkerballs tend to not have prolonged success, but it wasn't longevity that caused Wang's struggles if was injuries and faulty mechanics.

He originally suffered a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Since he recovered from that injury, subconscious or consciously, he changed his mechanics to baby that landing foot. He was not pushing off it or landing on it correctly. We can just see how his mechanics changed, from his release points alone:

The sinker is the most fickle pitch in baseball. If that ball is up, it gets pelted. He wasn't driving/landing on that foot correctly causing his sinkers to float up. The surplus of injuries to follow came from using his upper body to over compensate. The extra stress cause to the Hips, Biceps, and the shoulder injury (and ultimately shoulder surgery).

Lets be real, Wang is only 29...if he heals correctly from his surgery, and rediscovers his mechanics (mainly the push off/landing off his right foot) there is with about a doubt in my mind he could find success again. Sure he won't be perennial 18 game winner pitcher, but more than serviceable. The Nats for sure got their work cut out for them, but if he never becomes effective again, it won't be because of the longevity of his career throwing sinkers.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers