Help with Weekly H2H ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help with Weekly H2H ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with Weekly H2H ?

Postby Maris09 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey guys,

Thinking of switching one of my leages from a Daily H2H over to a Weekly H2H.

I wanted to see what the main differences were and how it works.
I'm guessing you set your lineup on Sunday for the following week, but:

-How do player adds work (can you do them at any point in the week and then they take effect on the following Monday?)
-Does drafting pitching become more important because you can't really play matchups the same way
-What are the optimal pitcher settings to have (SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P), etc....
-Are there any tricks, is it a lot less fun than Daily?

Any advice, or heads up to anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with Weekly H2H ?

Postby da bears » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

- when you make pick ups they appear in your line up the next week and I know on yahoo you have to set your line up on sunday since they lock on monday
- I think you can actually play more match ups when it comes to weekly changes cause the 2 start pitcher becomes a lot more valuable for the counting stats
- I prefer having daily changes cause it is frustrating when injuries occur on a monday, people in the leagues are more into the league since they check it more often, and a lot more streaming of two start pitchers will take place so I actually think it is more time consuming to set rosters than just making daily changes
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

IMHO weekly is a solid choice for a H2H league. You have to be more balanced in both hitting and pitching than in a daily transaction league. Stud SPs have more value, as do very good SPs...mediocre SPs have very little value unless they are pitching two starts with good matchups.

As already mentioned, when you add a player they are available to play on the following Monday...similarly, if one of your players hits the DL you have to go ahead to the next Monday and place them on the DL in order to add another player.

To avoid people running to grab all the two-start SPs from FA each week in order to clinch W's and K's (since they focused solely on offense the first 10 rounds of the draft), the H2H weekly league I'm in adds L's to the pitching categories and OPS to the hitting categories. I really enjoy these settings, but everyone has a different preference.

I'm a very active manager and am in two daily H2H leagues in addition to my weekly one...and while I enjoy them all, the weekly is a nice change of pace. It still requires a lot of strategy, just in a different way than a daily league. Plus, it feels like the best overall team usually wins the league...in that way it's similar to roto.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:52 am

-How do player adds work (can you do them at any point in the week and then they take effect on the following Monday?)

Yeah this is how they work.

-Does drafting pitching become more important because you can't really play matchups the same way

Depends on the league settings. You generally end up drafting more pitching and filling your bottom pitching slots with 2 start guys. You can't stream so that takes away one lame strat. So if say I have 9 pitching slots I might go with 3 starters I use every week, 3 RP and then rotate 5 or 6 pitchers in the last 3 slots by matchups/2 start weeks.

-What are the optimal pitcher settings to have (SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P), etc....

Whatever works, just keep in mind that SP with RP position eligibility gain value because you can stick a 2 start starter in a RP slot which gives you a big advantage.

-Are there any tricks, is it a lot less fun than Daily?

I think it is more fun personally but I don't really like checking my lineups at least 3 times a day (before each coasts games) just to make sure I don't miss a game by a starting hitter somewhere. Both require plenty of strategy and enough micro management, the only marginal advantage of daily lineups is injures don't play quite as large a role. Probably the single biggest flaw with weekly is when you have some guy get hurt on Mon you are stuck with a dead spot all week. I personally won't play in a daily league again, I don't see any significant positives to it.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Maris09 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 am

Thank you very much for all the responses guys.

Anyone have a recommendations for how many and what type of pitcher spots to have?
Having never done one before, I don't want have too many or too few?
(SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P) look good, or too many?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 am

Maris09 wrote:Thank you very much for all the responses guys.

Anyone have a recommendations for how many and what type of pitcher spots to have?
Having never done one before, I don't want have too many or too few?
(SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P) look good, or too many?

Because it's a weekly league, I don't think the spots matter too much...I would just say in general you don't want to have a huge number of generic P slots. Those look fine to me. :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Pochucker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 am

In our cbs league lineups lock 1/2 hr before first MLB game --might be 12:30 Est or 6:30 if no day games on Monday. We use 5sp and 2rp. We also instituted a rule which says any player you pick up during week must be on your roster for next scoring period. Prevents managers from picking up players and dropping them end of week to block other managers from getting them. We also charge $1 fee for each add/drop and $2 for trades --makes for nice additional pot at end of year to go along with entrance fees.

Also suggest you use 12teams 6in a division. Play each team in your division 3times other divsion once. Establishes cut and dried tiebreakers and eliminates someone playing weak link more than others.

Use playoff format of 2vs3 in one week playoff in each div while both 1 seeds get bye. Then winner of thatr matchup versus 1seed in 2week playoff with winners squaring off in two week championship match losers play for third and fourth.

Following year all teams who made playoffs form "winners division" while others form "losers div. Guarantees three different teams in playoff following year.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers