Cheatsheet compiler and draft buddy for Auction Drafts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheatsheet compiler and draft buddy for Auction Drafts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cheatsheet compiler and draft buddy for Auction Drafts

Postby Cabby » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Hey, I am just wondering if anyone has used this software before? http://www.draftbuddy.com/baseball/compiler/
I'm in an auction keeper league and wondering if what people thought of the software, particularly for auction leagues.

There is also this from Razzball. http://razzball.com/2010-fantasy-baseball-war-room/. Looks like it could be a very nice tool as well.

Last year I used Rotolab and although the software worked good, pitchers were overvalued in our league and I never made the adjustment until it was too late.

Just wondering what others have used for auction drafts. Thanks
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cheatsheet compiler and draft buddy for Auction Drafts

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 am

Cabby wrote:Hey, I am just wondering if anyone has used this software before? http://www.draftbuddy.com/baseball/compiler/
I'm in an auction keeper league and wondering if what people thought of the software, particularly for auction leagues.

There is also this from Razzball. http://razzball.com/2010-fantasy-baseball-war-room/. Looks like it could be a very nice tool as well.

Last year I used Rotolab and although the software worked good, pitchers were overvalued in our league and I never made the adjustment until it was too late.

Just wondering what others have used for auction drafts. Thanks

I am familiar with Razzballs work, and I approve, so I would probably trust them more. And that "draftbuddy" thing costs 10 bucks. One more reason to look over the free "Razzball War Room" one more time. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby BeanTown » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 pm

I've been using the Compiler/Buddy for years for both Football and Baseball and I love it. Unfortunately I can't speak to it's capabilities on the Auction side of things but in my opinion it's well worth the small cost. There are plans to get future versions out of Excel and into a standalone program. I anticipate when this happens the program will become much more mainstream than it is now. I think some people are intimidated by Excel.
BeanTown
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MikeBillsFan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 pm

HI Cabby. I just noticed this post from Google search earlier tonight. I can answer questions you have about the Compiler & Draft Buddy.

Are you primarily looking for something that creates custom auction value cheatsheets, or something that tracks your auction as it happens? The Compiler & Draft Buddy do both, but I'm curious so I know how to direct my response.
MikeBillsFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cabby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 am

Hey Mike, I guess I wanted to compile an auction cheatsheet. Last year I found it hard to keep up with the auction as it went along. Does the draft buddy account for inflation? I have read up a lot on your site about the product but was more so seeing how people found it worked during auctions. Thanks
Cabby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MikeBillsFan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 am

Okay, so you're looking for both sides of the coin and that is no problem.

The Compiler creates the auction dollar value cheatsheet for you, ranking the players by position and overall. There are a few adjustments you can make in the Compiler to tailor the cheatsheet more to your liking if you find certain positions are valued higher or lower then you would expect for your league.

That is pretty common with auctions just because of the other owners involved. We could have two identical auction leagues and some radically different results just because one group of owners bid aggressively while another is more conservative, or just based on the players thrown out early for bid where typically the high dollars go (and often overpaying) leaving other positions in a value or discount position later. These subjective factors are difficult to account for in the formulas.

Anyway, once you are happy or pretty happy with the formula driven cheatsheet from the Compiler, open Draft Buddy and run the setup. It copies over the cheatsheets from the Compiler and adjusts the remaining tabs for your league - number of teams, auction specific sections, etc.

Now you have more control over your cheatsheets. You can adjut the dollar values and re-rank the players by increasing/decreasing positions by a set $ amount, a % or you can even adjust individual players. I really like Roy Halladay and want to put an extra couple bucks on him no matter what the Compiler is telling me his value is. Input the new dollar amount, and hit re-rank, and I have my own auction cheatsheet in Buddy to go.

Auction starts - yes, Buddy does include inflation adjustments which kick in as soon as you input keepers (if applicable) or the first player is off the board. You can turn inflation on or off at any point.

In terms of using Buddy for auctions, I've used it for online auctions when fantasyauctioneer.com used to exist but I've never used it for a live auction. I just haven't had the opportunity. You will input the nomination order in advance which will keep you set for tracking whose turn it is to put the next player up for bid. When the auction starts the process is this:

1. On your cheatsheet (or summary tab) click on player name that is put up for bid, click Nominate Player.

2. This takes you to the auction input tab where you from a drop-down select the winning team/owner name and winning bid.

3. Everything else updates - player falls off the cheatsheet, updates that team’s roster, updates remaining auction dollars, etc.

Repeat 1. and 2. over and over.

My best advice is to practice beforehand, to get comfortable with the different tabs and where things are. There is a lot of stuff there, and different ways to do things. You can stay on auction input most of the time if you want and select the players via drop-down or type in the names (for people who type fast).

The only point it gets a little tricky, I find, is near the end of the auction when some teams have filled their roster and no longer nominate players. Then the tracking whose turn it is gets a little dicey. Buddy keeps going on the pre-set nomination order.

On the plus side though, at this point practically every player is going for just $1, and if the nominating team wins the player, you don’t have to set the winning bidder team. Buddy assumes the nominating team wins the player until you change the winning bidder team, so that speeds things up on the backend.

I hope that gives you a good idea about what to expect. If you have other specific questions then let me know.
MikeBillsFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers