Carrying Bench Hitters in Various Formats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carrying Bench Hitters in Various Formats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carrying Bench Hitters in Various Formats

Postby B-Chad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 pm

I'll throw this out there as well, since I didn't read it mentioned in skimming posts. I'll carry a bench bat or two in H-2-H daily changes if one of my starters has severe split issues (think Jason Kubel against lefties), so that I can sit Kubel against tough lefties (or really just about any lefty). Typically I'd rather have pitchers with high ceilings on my bench in both roto or H-2-H formats and hope they pan out.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:44 pm

For me I ask a pretty simple question "Why do I have this specific player, player X (acceptable answers are things like, I would be screwed if my starting 1B got hurt and there's nothing near his level on the waiver wire, or I think player X will have a huge breakout year this year and be in the lineup by July, or I'm using him to platoon in the OF, etc.)?" If I can answer why I have that specific guy, then I keep him. If I can't, then he goes....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Two of my favorite strategies for using my bench, which are tough to use together, are:

1. Carry 3-4 platoon guys to use in 2-3 spots. It requires use of at least one bench spot.
2. Carry 2-3 middle relievers instead of 1-2 starters. Gives me the closers-in-waiting and nice ratios, while keeping the innings down.

I try to do one of the above in roto when I can... I'm terrible at H2H, so I can't say how well it works there.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 pm

moochman wrote:I also like to carry a hitter who multi-position availability to insert on days off. I also like to have a slot devoted to players who may blow up, or just blow. That allows me a cutable player for any injury coverage or waiver wire wonders. As the season progresses I learn where my weaknesses are and adjust my roster to cover my sloppy drafting.

Agree with this one.

What it comes down to is that most of the time, teams share off days. So the day that you would put in your backup, he's off too. However, if you have a guy who can fit in a few different positions, you might get some value out of him.

I use the rest for extra starters until I figure out who is good this year or for middle relievers to help out with ratios if there's an innings limit.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers