Tracking player value after trades in auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tracking player value after trades in auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tracking player value after trades in auction league

Postby neoforce » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Beirdo wrote:
neoforce wrote:We actually do it a bit differently.
  • Initial value set at auction based on $ paid
  • Player traded/dropped keeps that value
  • In season player picked up by FAAB is assigned a salary based on the greater of their old value, or the amount bid. So, a player's salary never goes down in season
  • Of course off season, players not kept are reset back to whatever someone pays for them at the next years auction

That's not a bad scheme either. And a heck of a lot easier to maintain as then people can't whine as much. I like that.

Actually, that is the other big thing. For me as a Commish, I find this very easy to do. We use CBSsports.com and I manually put in the players value. I only have to put it in at the auction, or every week at FAAB. And with FAAB once glance at the old player lets me figure out the new salary for that player.

Very easy to do.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Beirdo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:57 pm

bigmck wrote:As one poster said, don't use a book value for player salaries. Your real problem it seems is what to do with the Keepers in this first year. I would suggest using a Topper method to establish a value on the Keepers for this year. Say one of my Keepers is Albert Pujols. He will still be bid on at the Auction. When his name is thrown out, everyone bids on him, except me, since he is my Topper. When the bidding is over I have one last chance to bid to win Pujols or pass and let the high bid have him. This establishes a true value on the player but gives the Keeper Owner an advantage to keep him. You would not do this in future years. This is just for this year.

That's not going to fly in our league. I like the idea, but the players are not amenable to that. Our initial book value-based setup is what they are OK with, so I'm going with that. Most of the players kept will quickly become unkeepable anyways due to salary increases, and thus will be adjusted soon anyways.

Also, due to online auction tools, this would be nearly impossible to implement anyways. I'd have to halt the auction for each Topper to be entered, and that gets painful. I'm not doing a manual auction.

It is a neat way to fix an issue though. But I think our transition year will just be a bit skewed, and we'll live with that. Our scoring rules are simultaneously changing from overall points to weekly H2H based on points... It's a shake-up year to be sure.
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Also, due to online auction tools, this would be nearly impossible to implement anyways. I'd have to halt the auction for each Topper to be entered, and that gets painful. I'm not doing a manual auction.

You are right about the Online Auction, it would not work. We do ours In-Person, did not think about the online problem.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Beirdo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 am

bigmck wrote:You are right about the Online Auction, it would not work. We do ours In-Person, did not think about the online problem.

Hehe, that wouldn't work for us unfortunately. About half our league is in Puerto Rico, and the other half in Canada. :) The airlines would love us, but alas, in-person draft/auction currently isn't really a viable option.

Thanks to all for your fine ideas. I will be writing up rules definitions so we have them all in one place, and so there is no appearance of making up rules mid-season. :)

Now to find a usable mock-auction site so my players can acquaint themselves with the process. Wonder if ESPN will have one up soon?
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner