Tracking player value after trades in auction league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tracking player value after trades in auction league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tracking player value after trades in auction league

Postby Beirdo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi, all.

I am in the process of switching a keeper league from a draft league to an auction league. I have set out rules that show how things work, all except one. What I have:

1) Initial value of our keepers from the old draft league are based on the values listed in the Rotowire Fantasy Baseball Guide 2010 magazine.
2) All players obtained in the auction or in the free agent auctions will have values equal to their acquisition cost
3) Keepers into the next year get a 10% salary increase (with a minimum increase of $1)

However, the one thing I'm not sure of: How should I track value for traded players? Is it best to keep it based on initial acquisition cost, or should it be affected by apparent trade value?

For instance... if you got a new prospect at $1 (you were lucky), and kept him for a couple years, his salary would be $3. However, you could likely trade him for a player with a value of $30 if he got hot in the meantime. What would be the fair value of the two players in the straight-up trade (which will determine their value as a keeper into the following year)? Is that formerly $3 player now really worth $30? or $20... or based on current market value as defined by some data source? And what about that $30 player? How would it affect HIS apparent value?

Any tips on how others have dealt with this issue?
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tracking player value after trades in auction league

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:34 pm

10% salary increase is going to mean players will not chnage hands that often. What are you going to do 3-4 years down the line when emerging stars are now the super-stars? Your values are going to be greatly skewed. You need to come up with a way of making owners make hard choices after a ocuple of years by making it a bigger aggregate as players are kept longer.

Artificially altering player values because of trades is extremely difficult to do fairly. Motives for making trades is not always apparent. Trades are not always 50/50 at face value. Lack of trading partners, positional needs, injuries often force owners to do irrational or lopsided trades based on needs, or they may be setting themselves up for other trades by acquiring players another owner wants.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Beirdo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:51 pm

dmendro wrote:10% salary increase is going to mean players will not chnage hands that often. What are you going to do 3-4 years down the line when emerging stars are now the super-stars? Your values are going to be greatly skewed. You need to come up with a way of making owners make hard choices after a ocuple of years by making it a bigger aggregate as players are kept longer.

Hmmm, so you are suggesting an progressively larger increase per year they keep a player? That could get complex. I do have a limit on keepers as well (8/23 for now, decreasing year by year down to about 5) so that will help create turnover as well. I guess I could consider doing a contract length mechanism too...

As it is as a keeper draft league, there wasn't much turnover anyways, really. I'm trying to balance the league more bit by bit. :)

dmendro wrote:Artificially altering player values because of trades is extremely difficult to do fairly. Motives for making trades is not always apparent. Trades are not always 50/50 at face value. Lack of trading partners, positional needs, injuries often force owners to do irrational or lopsided trades based on needs, or they may be setting themselves up for other trades by acquiring players another owner wants.

Yeah, this is why I'm looking for what would be a fair value to put on a player that has been traded should they be kept into the subsequent year. My current thought for maximum fairness to the league would be to reset the value to one based on the Rotowire (or other source's) estimated player value. It may not be perfect, but there is absolutely no sense of bias there. It could be the estimated value at the time of the trade (which would be best if the data is available) or at the beginning of the next season or something.

But the fact is, I'd need SOME estimated value or the whole thing becomes a mess.
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 pm

That's why I say don't do anything. Leave player values the same when they are traded. Use a contract method to increase values every year.

Our league increases player values by the following schedule:
Year 1: +5
Year 2: +10
Year 3: +15
Year 4+: +5

It catches up emerging players with super stars, and it makes it really tough to keep a perennial superstar more than a couple years.

My number 1 rule of auction leagues: Don't use book values!! Why would you hold an auction draft where the owners get to set their own player's worth, and then use a book written by some so called fantasy "expert" to put in some artificial value on a player in your league? Do your league's rules exactly match the books rules for creating those values? When were the values last updated (if it is a print book, it's probably created in December or January so it could be printed and distributed in time for drafts).

We were in your boat about 3 years ago. We switched from draft salaries to auction league. So, we wiped everyone's salaries except for 5 keepers. Everyone else went into the draft pool. Using our salary increase schedule, we now have noone left in the league with a book value from 3 years ago. Everyone is assigned a real value based on worth to the owners in our league. It's fantastic.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Beirdo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

dmendro wrote:That's why I say don't do anything. Leave player values the same when they are traded. Use a contract method to increase values every year.

Our league increases player values by the following schedule:
Year 1: +5
Year 2: +10
Year 3: +15
Year 4+: +5

It catches up emerging players with super stars, and it makes it really tough to keep a perennial superstar more than a couple years.

Hmm, OK. I see what you are saying. This makes sense to me. Yeah, just maintain the values, and let the increases take care of it. The other thing I am thinking of mandating:

Any player dropped and then picked up by the same team (via free agent auction) will maintain the previous salary value. If another team picks them up, it would be according to the FAAB value they paid.

This should keep people from trying to dump and grab the player to "fix" the salary artificially.

dmendro wrote:My number 1 rule of auction leagues: Don't use book values!! Why would you hold an auction draft where the owners get to set their own player's worth, and then use a book written by some so called fantasy "expert" to put in some artificial value on a player in your league? Do your league's rules exactly match the books rules for creating those values? When were the values last updated (if it is a print book, it's probably created in December or January so it could be printed and distributed in time for drafts).

Very good point. What was I thinking? :)

I will keep the "book value" for the initial keeper salaries during the transition. After that, the league can determine its own values based on supply & demand. I need *some* initial values though. Setting them all to $1 is not fair, and dumping the keepers during transition will lose me most of the teams in the league, so that's a non-starter. I'm currently thinking of discounting the "book value" by 20-30% to create some perceived value, and then applying the contract increase rules to that (whether staged as you suggest or a flat 10% as I have now) as a starting salary. Any thoughts there?

dmendro wrote:We were in your boat about 3 years ago. We switched from draft salaries to auction league. So, we wiped everyone's salaries except for 5 keepers. Everyone else went into the draft pool. Using our salary increase schedule, we now have noone left in the league with a book value from 3 years ago. Everyone is assigned a real value based on worth to the owners in our league. It's fantastic.

Yeah, we are wiping all but 9 coming into this season (we agreed on that number last year, and I don't want a total rebellion) :) For sure, the keepers should be reduced significantly, whether by number of players or a keeper salary cap (unfortunately ESPN doesn't support that, so it would need to be manually done).

What I'd like to do for future years would be to have a keeper salary cap of say $120 out of the $260 draft-time cap. This limit may still be high, I dunno... Just thinking out loud here. But that will definitely increase the manual work for me as commissioner.

Ironically, the player who's getting affected the most by this transition... me. Hehe. And I was in 5th last year... According to my current planned rules, my remaining budget post-keepers is $70 out of the $260. Curse you, Hanley Ramirez :) (Had him for 4 seasons running)
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby neoforce » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Beirdo wrote: The other thing I am thinking of mandating:

Any player dropped and then picked up by the same team (via free agent auction) will maintain the previous salary value. If another team picks them up, it would be according to the FAAB value they paid.

This should keep people from trying to dump and grab the player to "fix" the salary artificially.

We actually do it a bit differently.
  • Initial value set at auction based on $ paid
  • Player traded/dropped keeps that value
  • In season player picked up by FAAB is assigned a salary based on the greater of their old value, or the amount bid. So, a player's salary never goes down in season
  • Of course off season, players not kept are reset back to whatever someone pays for them at the next years auction

You don't have to do it that way. I've seen leagues that do allow a player value to be reset in season. But say you have a pitcher who is a $30 value. Gets hurt and is out for the rest of the year. The team that owns him drops him. A team that is out of the running for the rest of the year picks him up with a $1 bid. Now, next year he has a $30 pitcher for a buck.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Beirdo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 pm

neoforce wrote:We actually do it a bit differently.
  • Initial value set at auction based on $ paid
  • Player traded/dropped keeps that value
  • In season player picked up by FAAB is assigned a salary based on the greater of their old value, or the amount bid. So, a player's salary never goes down in season
  • Of course off season, players not kept are reset back to whatever someone pays for them at the next years auction

That's not a bad scheme either. And a heck of a lot easier to maintain as then people can't whine as much. I like that.

neoforce wrote:You don't have to do it that way. I've seen leagues that do allow a player value to be reset in season. But say you have a pitcher who is a $30 value. Gets hurt and is out for the rest of the year. The team that owns him drops him. A team that is out of the running for the rest of the year picks him up with a $1 bid. Now, next year he has a $30 pitcher for a buck.

Yeah. Some would consider that a good thing... and some a bad thing. I'm not sure where I'd stand on that issue. Often the $30 pitcher who is injured (Tommy John surgery or whatever) never really recovers to $30 value. There are of course exceptions to that. So if someone's willing to take the risk, there should be some benefit to picking up injured players, I would think... But would that upset the fragile balance of the league? Hmmm, hard to say.

Maybe something like this might work? (numbers drawn from a mythical hat, not written in stone)

• if a player is on DL15 when purchased, the price is adjusted up by 5% when they are off injury
  • if a player is DL60 when purchased, the price is adjusted up by 10% when they are off injury
  • if a player is out for the season when purchased, the price is adjusted up by 50% when they are off injury

I dunno... I'm just talking out loud and haven't fully thought out the ramifications of such a rule.

I really appreciate the guidance of others who have been through this before and know better how it will affect their league long-term (whether adversely or positively).
Beirdo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 pm

Dunno if this helps, but here are our rules and how we handle all these various things that crop up each year.

Code: Select all
Barnstormer Fantasy League rules for 2010
Updated AFTER the winter meeting.
BFL at CBS | BFL Forum (link to come) | BFL Owners (link to come)
*Official Communication: All official league communication is done on the BFL forum only (2008). All other communication is considered unofficial, including forum postings in the incorrect location and e-mails to the CBS e-mail address. * = All use of the term "Official Communication" below references this definition.

Since we now have 12 categories a week, for clarity's sake, all references to "BFL games" have been removed from the rules, replaced in most instances with "matchup" (2009).
Main Sections: I. League Information | II. Rosters | III. Starters| IV. Transactions
A. The BFL will accept no more than 12 teams (2008).
B. Owners must keep the same team name the entire season (2007).
C. Each owner may own only one team (2003).
D. New owners must take over abandoned teams if any are available. If there is more than one abandoned team, the first new owner to pay his entry fee gets his choice (2005). If a new owner assumes an abandoned team he will not be considered an expansion team for drafting purposes (2004).
E. If a draft is in effect, expansion teams will have an expansion draft preceding the actual draft. They will pick enough players to be even with returning teams who have keepers. The will have the normal serpentine draft and be able to choose from any players not protected by existing teams (2005). If an auction is in effect, expansion teams will be given a full $300, and may trade it as any other team. They have no pre-draft, however. (2007)
F. The BFL requests all owners and prospective owners to declare by one week after the owners' meeting if they will be in the league that year (2009).
G. Existing owners may not take over abandoned teams (2006).
H. If abandoned teams are present during cutdowns, we will NOT cut players for them. As soon as a new owner is in place, however, they must cut down to the current level of other teams as soon as possible (2008).
B. Schedule
A. Each "season" begins when the first player in the year's auction is put up for bid (2008).
B. Each week consists of head to head match-ups between two teams. Each of our 12 categories is treated as a Win, Loss, or Tie in our standings. We will aim for as close to 162 categories as possible (2007). Schedules will be issued by opening day each year. We will fit as many matchups as possible after figuring out the playoff brackets.
C. The schedule will be unbalanced (you will have more matchups vs. your own division) and there will be no doubleheaders (2007).
D. To eliminate the need for most tie-breakers, we will aim for every team will play every other team an odd number of matchups (2006).
E. In leagues of 8-14 teams, two divisions will randomly be drawn on draft day. If any other number of teams are in the league, we will vote on how to divide divisions.
F. We will play shortened matchups during all-star week (Thursday through Sunday) (2007). Starters are due 30 minutes before first pitch Thursday.
G. We will not play any fantasy games the last week of the MLB season. (2010)
C. Playoff Schedule
A. The season will be followed by a Divisional Playoffs, a League Championship Series and a World Series.
B. Unlike the regular season, when a playoff matchup is tied (ex. 6-6), the home team gets the victory (2007).
C. The BFL intends for 30-40 percent of teams to make the playoffs.
D. In a 12- to 14-team league, 6 teams make the playoffs (2008). Top 1 or 2 teams receive byes in order to keep a clean 3-tier bracket. If 2 teams, they are to be division winners.
E. In a 12- or 14-team league, the four Wild Card teams play a 1-week match-up with Seed 6 at Seed 3 and Seed 5 at Seed 4 (2003). In case of a tie, the home team wins. (2007). There is no "re-seeding" after each round. Top seed always plays bottom seed and always has home field.
F. The winners meet in a 1-week League Championship Series. The top-seeded division winner, Seed 1, faces the winner of Seeds 4 and 5 while Seed 2 faces the winner of Seeds 3 and 6. Seeds 1 and 2 are home (2007). In case of a tie, the home team wins.
G. The World Series matches the final two teams in a 2 "game" series, with the top seed being home. The winning team will be the one with the most categories won over the 2 games. Categories (such as HR) are reset at the beginning of the second week. For example, if Team A wins 10-2 in the first week and loses 9-3 in the second week, the final score would be 13-11 with Team A winning the World Series. (2010)
H. All non-playoff teams will compete in a consolation bracket during the playoffs. Seeds will be numbered 7-12 and they will compete with the higher seed being home in successive 1-week series. There are 6 teams in this bracket in a 12-team league, so the two best records will receive byes. The final matchup, the Toilet Bowl, will consist of a 3 "game" series, best 2 of 3, with the top seed being home (2008).
D. Scoring
A. Each week consists head to head match-ups between two teams. Each of our 12 categories is treated as a Win, Loss, or Tie in our standings.
B. Pitching (6 categories): ERA, WHIP, Strikeouts, Wins-Losses, Holds+Saves, Innings Pitched (2010)C. Hitting (6 categories): Runs, RBIs, Home Runs, Batting Average, (Total Bases + Walks + HBP), and Stolen Bases
D. If Team A has 15 RBIs and Team B has 10 RBIs, then Team A would be 1-0, team B would be 0-1.
E. If you do not have an at-bat, you cannot win BA (2004)
F. If you do not have 5 IP or more, you cannot win ERA or WHIP (2006).
G. We use CBS Sportsline's stats as official. If a discrepency is found in more than one reputable source, the commissioner can change the statistics (2006).
H. In case of scoring discrepancies, you have 7 days from the matchup's end to make an appeal. We will not allow changes to results after 7 days in any circumstance (2001).
E. Player Salaries & Salary Cap
A. All players are a minimum of $1 (2006).
B. Each owner has a salary cap of $300 (2004).
F. Money Distribution
12 teams, using CBSSportsline.com (2008):
NOTE: I used the same percentages as when we had 14 teams. Then made the numbers round. If we vote for 1 or 2 fewer playoff teams, we will revisit this.
Entry fee = $100; Total pot with 12 teams = $1,200
$150 - CBS Sportsline.com fee
$50 - BFL Forum hosting fee
$100 - 2 Division Series Losers = ($50 each)
$250 - 2 LCS Losers = ($125 each)
$225 - World Series Loser
$425 - World Series Winner
(2009).

T-shirt - Losers' bracket winner, purchased by World Series loser. (Gag prize). Losers' bracket winner must wear shirt to the draft.
Note: Each season, owners are expected to pay an extra, non-refundable $20 fee. This allows them to trade salary cap, and is non-refundable if they quit (2008). Each time an owner quits, his $20 deposit is paid out in the following year's winnings (2008).
G. Tie Breakers
If teams are tied for any playoff slot, or other prize-winning category, the following tie breakers will be used (2007):
1. Head to head record
2. Division record (if in same division)
3. A one-"game" playoff; home team determined by a coin flip
H. The Commissioner Committee
A. A three-man commissioner committee will be voted for every draft day (2007). They will take over duties one week after the draft date. Commissioners may have as many terms as the are voted into (2006).
B. Commissioners are only to step in when there's a controversy, when a rule is unclear, or if the rules clearly state it's his authority. They are to look at the intent of the original rule with common sense to the best of their ability.
C. For trade protests, if one or more of the commissioners are involved, we will have an alternate step in. These alternates will be the next-highest vote-getters from draft day (2007).
D. The commissioner can be of any experience level except a rookie.
A. Rosters will include the following 27 players (2010):
B. 10-18 Hitters: Must include a minimum of 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 3 OF and 2 of your choice (2010)
C. 9-17 Pitchers: 5 SP, 3 RP, and one of your choice (2010)D. There are no more "minor league" slots. There are no more "DL" slots. They are all included in the above (2008).
E. You may draft anyone you want. Major leaguer, minor leaguer, Elvis, etc. (2001).
B. Playoff Rosters
A. Before the final fantasy matchup of the regular season, final rosters are set. No players may be signed or traded after the playoff roster deadline. This includes acquisitions for players that get injured later. You'll just have to tough it out.
B. Players cut for the final playoff roster deadline automatically become free agents eligible for the draft the following season.
C. Keepers and Offseason Dropdowns
A. You must keep 5 players from the previous season. Players may be kept for an unlimited number of years (2004, reaffirmed, 2008).
B. Keepers will be a part of the league at least through the 2009-2010 turnover season (2008).
C. Keeper salaries increase each season they are kept, regardless of ownership, or whether they have been cut and re-signed. In year 1, they increase $5. Year 2, $10. Year 3, $15. Years 4 and beyond, $5. So, for example, Ryan Braun would be $1 (original auction value), $6, $16, $31, $36, $41, $46, etc. This format will be in place, barring a unanimous vote, through the 2009-2010 turnover season (2008).
D. If you have a documented injury or role change concerning one of your five players, you may pick another keeper at any time before the first pick in the draft. You MUST bring the source to the draft to do this (2005).
E. When the draft begins (2009), you may trade any or all of your five keepers for draft picks, salary cap, or other keepers (2005).
F. In the offseason, we have several roster cut-down dates to add some offseason fun. You also have the option of cutting down to any number lower than listed. Example: If you are to cut down to 15, you may cut down to 14, or even 5 (2006).
25 - End of MLB World Series
20 - January 1
15 - February 1
10 - March 1
Then, for five days, preceding the draft, we will announce one keeper per day, in reverse order of record. The final of these five days should be two days before the draft at midnight. Example: If the draft is on a Sunday, all keepers should be set by Friday (aka early Saturday) at midnight (2006).
C. The Auction
1. How it works
a. For submitting players up for auction, owners go around in a circle clockwise, having drawn cards for the order. You may not skip your turn. You may not trade spots with another owner in the circle.
b. You have 1 minute to submit a player.
c. Minimum submission is $1. If no one raises, you must take him for $1.
d. Once a player is up for bid, anyone can bid at any time. There is no order.
e. When bidding slows down, a "going once, going twice" method of reasonable time will be given by anyone in the circle. Gentleman's courtesy should prevail (aka the Ned O'Reilly rule).
f. The auction ends when everyone has a full roster, or all owners say they are done.
g. If someone makes a mathematical mistake during an auction, he has to cut his most recent acquisitions until he gets back under the cap, as soon as the error is found. The auction pauses for the correction (2006).
2. Cap room
h. You may trade any amount of cap room each season, but you may never be without $270 or more (at any time). There is no limit to how much cap room you can gain (2005).
i. If you gain cap room for the auction, after the auction you must put all your drafted players in a list from highest value to lowest. Starting from the top, the values will decrease by $1 until all the cap room traded has been allocated. If you go through the entire roster and haven't reached the salary cap, start at the top again and add another $1 (2008).
j. If you lose cap room for the auction, after the auction you must put all your drafted players in a list from highest value to lowest. Starting from the top, the values will increase by $1 until all the cap room traded has been allocated. If you go through the entire roster and haven't reached the salary cap, start at the top again and add another $1 (2005).
k. If a team traded for cap room and the owner he received them from quits (and no new owner takes over), he still gets the extra cap room. If an owner trades cap room to a team that no longer exists, he still loses that cap room (2005).
l. You cannot trade cap room for seasons after the next. Example: You cannot trade cap space for the 2009 season until the 2008 season begins (2008).
E. The Disabled List
A. The DL no longer exists (2008).
A. Each matchup owners start the following:
B. 9 Hitters: 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 3OF, and 1 DH.
C. 8 pitchers: 5 SPs, 3 RPs (2007).
D. You must give your starters 30 minutes before the first MLB pitch on Mondays. This is CBS's deadline, and we abide by it. You must do so on the CBS Web site. If you have technical issues, use Official Communication* for proof of the timestamp (2009).
E. If starters are not given, the previous week's lineup will be used. If you signed or traded for new players and you failed to give your lineup, those new players will NOT automatically be inserted in your lineup. Instead, you will get zeroes for the appropriate players.
F. If you made a sub in a previous matchup and do not give a new lineup, your original lineup will be used (2004).
B. Position Eligibility
1. Hitters
a. To be eligible at a position, a hitter must have played 10 games at that position in the current or previous year, or for players without 10 games at a position (for example, new callups) he is eligible at the position assigned by CBS Sportsline. (2010)b. If an owner starts a hitter who is ineligible at that position, the opposing team (or anyone) can protest until the following matchup is over (9 p.m. Sunday, seven days after the matchup has ended). The commissioner committee then has 3 days from the protest to investigate and correct the score (2002). If a player is ruled ineligible, he will get a zeroes, UNLESS he and another player that is also in the starting lineup can successfully switch positions. We will not allow changes to results after 7 days in any circumstance (2001).
3. Pitchers
c. Pitchers stats count even if a reliever gets a spot start or a starter makes a surprise relief appearance.
d. Regarding abuses/swingmen: Fellow owners may protest your use of a pitcher to the commissioners. The owner with the questionable starter, should then provide proof of a changed role, whether temporary or permanent. Example: if a newspaper in advance said Bobby Jenks was going to spot-start for the White Sox, that would be evidence and you could play him as a starting pitching. However, if he started with no advance notice, you would get those stats, because that would show that you had no ill-intent when putting him in your lineup in his typical Relief role. There are other abuses that can take place in this situation, so it will be the commissioners discretion (2008).
C. Substitutions
1. General notes
a. You may not sub for a rainout, as the MLB game will be made up later.
b. For suspended MLB games, all stats count for the original day. This is the practice of the MLB and CBS, so we will abide by it (2008).
c. Substitutions must made using Official Communication*. If you can not post, get another owner to do it for you (2005).
d. You can sub for a sub endless times. (Your original starter can return, too.)
e. Once you make a substitution, you can not take it back (2007).
2. Hitting Substitutions
e. You may replace a hitter who fails to appear in one or more box scores any time - for any reason - before first pitch the following day. You may also substitute for a player without waiting for him to miss a game, if you have evidence from a reputable source that the player is injured (the Black N Blue podcast is not a reputable source, sorry). (2010) The substitute's stats count for you the day after your starter missed his MLB game.
f. Your DH can move to his natural position (given he is eligible there) as a substitute for an injured player, so that you may bring any backup into the DH slot
g. Players are eligible to sub in at catcher if they have played 1 MLB game at catcher (2007)
h. It is OK to start - and also to sub for - a player who is already on the MLB DL (2008).
3. Pitching Substitutions
i. If you have a pitcher who misses an appearance, you may sub in for him beginning the next day, but because pitchers are not every day players, you need documented proof of missed time. This can include an injury, bereavement, etc., just like hitters. Communicate the news report and your desired sub via Official Communication*, and a CBS administrator will make the change for you. So, just like with hitters, if your pitcher misses a Tuesday start, you should post your sub by first pitch Wednesday. Your subs stats will count from that day forward (2006).
j. It is OK to start - and also to sub for - a player who is already on the MLB DL (2008). For relievers, this means you can sub beginning on Tuesday, just like hitters. For starters, this means you must wait until his usual rotation spot is skipped, either by off day or replacement pitcher starting. Your replacement enters the day AFTER your starter was supposed to pitch.
A. For pickups, the BFL uses CBS's Free Agent Auction Bidding system (FAAB). If you would like to bid for a free agent, you enter it into CBS Sportsline along with a salary amount that you are willing to pay for the player. Each Wednesday and Sunday at midnight, the bids are processed and the highest bidder wins the player at his bid value (2007).
B. FAAB Periods begin the first Wednesday after a weekend draft, and continue on the regularly scheduled Wednesday/Sunday periods (2009).
C. According to CBS, if two winning bids are equal, the team at the top of the "Waiver Priority List" gets the player. Each season begins with the FAAB order from worst record to best record of the previous year (2008). Once you win a player, you go to the bottom of the list.
D. For more information on CBS's FAAB process, read "FAQ - CBS's Free Agent Auction Bidding" in the "Rules & Policies" forum.
E. You may pick up free agents via the FAAB all season long, and for the final regular-season fantasy matchup, aka the Playoff Roster deadline. Once the final regular-season fantasy matchup has begun, you may no longer sign free agents.
F. When you sign a player, you have to keep him on your active roster for one BFL matchup before cutting him. Otherwise, you could claim an endless amount free agents. You may trade him immediately, however (2006). In pre-season, the FAAB periods will serve as "one BFL matchup" so that you sign and cut players before the season starts (2007).
G. When players are cut in the BFL, there is an automatic three-day wait before he can be signed. This is called his "Waiver" period, so that the first person online doesn't get him (2006).
H. CBS will not stop you from going over your roster limits or salary cap for technical reasons. Therefore, if you accidentally go over your roster limit or salary cap via pickup or trade, you have until first pitch Thursday and Monday to make your roster right after FAAB signings. If you do not, you lose $3 cap for the current year only (meaning you have $297 to spend instead of $300). You will be penalized an additional $3 cap for every day you remain over the cap (2009).
B. Trades
A. You may make a trade at any time before 30 minutes before first pitch on Mondays to go into effect that day (2006).
B. The league trade deadline is midnight July 31/Aug. 1 each season (2003).
C. Trading resumes after the BFL World Series ends and is allowed all-year long (2002).
D. Trading cap room is allowed for all owners, since all are required to pay a $20 non-refundable deposit for the following season. If they leave the league, the money is kept (2008).
E. If you receive a player via trade, you may trade or cut him immediately, as long as you've cleared cap room and a roster spot to first acquire him (2006).
F. If you accidentally accept a CBS trade offer, and want it undone, you have 15 minutes to make it known using Official Communication*. The trade will be reversed, with no penalty to you (2008). If 15 minutes has passed, the other owner can (but is not obligated to) still reverse the trade (2009).
G. All trade offers involving cap room should be clearly stated as to who gets the cap room. If there is a cap room misunderstanding, owners have 24 hours from its Official Communication* announcement to get it reversed. After that, all trades are final (2008).
C. Protesting trades
A. We are eliminating the trade protest process. The only possible time a trade could be blocked is if is believed the owners are colluding. To do this please email a commissioner. Do not communicate it to the entire league via Official Communication* (2009).
dmendro
Cary Destroyers

Private messageE-mailYIM
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 pm

As one poster said, don't use a book value for player salaries. Your real problem it seems is what to do with the Keepers in this first year. I would suggest using a Topper method to establish a value on the Keepers for this year. Say one of my Keepers is Albert Pujols. He will still be bid on at the Auction. When his name is thrown out, everyone bids on him, except me, since he is my Topper. When the bidding is over I have one last chance to bid to win Pujols or pass and let the high bid have him. This establishes a true value on the player but gives the Keeper Owner an advantage to keep him. You would not do this in future years. This is just for this year.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby dmendro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:30 pm

bigmck wrote:As one poster said, don't use a book value for player salaries. Your real problem it seems is what to do with the Keepers in this first year. I would suggest using a Topper method to establish a value on the Keepers for this year. Say one of my Keepers is Albert Pujols. He will still be bid on at the Auction. When his name is thrown out, everyone bids on him, except me, since he is my Topper. When the bidding is over I have one last chance to bid to win Pujols or pass and let the high bid have him. This establishes a true value on the player but gives the Keeper Owner an advantage to keep him. You would not do this in future years. This is just for this year.

This is basically the same as the restricted free agent offer sheet in the NFL. I actually proposed this to my league this year, but they were wary of it. Nice to see other leagues doing this. It's a fun aspect to the auction league.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner